Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
pittsburg , Kansas
Fan leak

I have a very small leak from my rear fan. There is a lot of silicone around the gasket. I would rather not remove the original rivets to replace the gasket. Could I clean it off good and use vulkrum to seal it. If so what kind or is there a better way? Also there is no gasket around the fan on the inside is there suppose to be one and what kind? thanks Judy
Attached Images

Judy Barde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
I had a leak at the rear fan and TV antenea as well. I bought a fantastic fan to replace, but when I removed the old fan, there was major rotten gasket material, leaves and various other organic matter because the PO had repeatedly resealed with different sealers and apparently sealed in this build up at every resealing. I spent about three hours putting in the new fan and this was my first time. This is the route I would choose (remove and regasket or replace)
Think about this when resealing and good luck.
James
The Flintstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Seems like you should be able to put some sort of Vulkem or Silkaflex up there to seal it. I see many open areas that a good caulking might help. If it doesn't then maybe it's just time to bite the bullet and replace it??
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:21 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
judy

judging by your photos i would replace the missing rivets then seal with vulkem.

better yet, drill all of the rivets, clean the surfaces seal with vulkem and replace with olyimpic rivets.

the pop rivets that you have will leak as they are hollow by design.

olyimpic rivets are solid after installation, but they still need to be dipped in vulkem before installation to insure a seal.

good luck fixing your leak!

john
Old 12-31-2006, 07:13 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Hello Judy,
First, the second option John HD said.
No repair is better than the right repair. Patch work repair is not as good as the right repair. 'Nuff said.Now....
Drill the old rivets.
CAREFULLY, using a GOOD stiff putty knife, remove the old vent.
Clean both sealing surfaces; leveling these surfaces as much as possible.
Clean both surfaces.
Reseal using Vulkem.
Rivets have two or three possibilities; there is an aluminum pop rivet available, that has a SEALED rivet portion. IT WILL NOT LEAK. It does not spread out behind the panel as does am Olympic rivet. Do not use it if your rivet holes are enlarged or sloppy.
All in all done in this manner, the unit will not leak for many years to come.

Also, your vent cover should have the foam style gasket between the cover and the vent housing replaced as well. Clean both surfaces well. The foam will stick to the vent cover with the adhesive strip that comes already applied to it.
The best cleaning agent JUST BEFORE applying Vulkem or the foam tape is denatured alcohol.
I wish you much success in your reapir.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote