Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2021, 03:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Jackson Heights , New York
Dometic Fan-Tastic Vent Issue

Hi All,

Motor hums, fan doesn't spin, no wall switch, power is good, cover completely open.

It is about 7 years old, don't know the model.

Dometic told me to is likely a dome switch nut to ring connector issue.

I have a 45 second video, but vids are not allowed with post.

If there are existing posts addressing the issue replies with the links would be appreciated.

If someone would like to view the vid and knows of a way I can send it let me know.

Thanks
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
A similar issue concerning the fan was discussed here:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f16...an-222851.html

One of the causes mentioned was what happened to me recently. The foam insulation around the vent cap had come loose and was impeding the fan causing symptoms similar to what you are describing.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Take the screen off from below. Either a screw on or clip in screen. Then spin the fan with your fingers. If it spins freely and the motor is indeed humming you have a motor problem. If it spins freely with your fingers but does not run them reach up through the opening using a spoon or something like that and flick the dome switch that is sticking up a few times. I have had several failures of that switch. I have had one stick that cleared up when I flicked it and lubed it a bit. Of course if the motor is really humming that switch is probably okay. But you could be hearing the drive motor for the cover. Even if it is just the dome switch you will probably end up replacing the fan. The ones I had from about that era the switch was built into the circuit board. Amazon does sell a switch but it did not fit for me.

Now the bottom line. If it is not just a bit of debris stopping the fan that clears up when you spin it just sit down and order a replacement fan. Either Fantastic or Max air. Fixing these era Fantastic fans is not easy now. It is really not hard to change one out. Two tubes of calk and a vibrating tool with a scraper blade and a power screwdriver. And 2 wires to reconnect.

And if the dome switch has a ring nut connector I guess you better check that too. I think they are trying to say the switch might be loose. My guess is that it is faulty.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Jackson Heights , New York
Thanks Mikeinca and Bill.

I will troubleshoot the fan with both your instructions this weekend and post how it goes.

If anyone is interested in a pdf from Fan-tastic to address the dome switch issue one is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TRBSHT 1 - PLUNGER SWITCH.PDF (363.8 KB, 22 views)
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:08 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Safety first. Make sure that when you spin the fan that you use something like a pencil instead of your finger. With all of the sensors and switches in these fans, some days I think they have a mind of their own! If it is under some tension, it could spring around and hit your finger. And if there is power to it you may hurt your finger if it starts to spin with your finger in the way.
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:39 PM   #6
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If it is a motor they are on Amazon fo $35-40 and couldn't that hard to change out.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote