Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Morehead City , North Carolina
Question Combination ceiling light and vent replacement

I have a 1976 International 31' Sovereign. The ceiling lights in the main living area both have issues and I would like to completely replace or repair them. The main issue for both is that the cranks to raise the vents doe not work (one is completely missing so prior owner used screws into ceiling to hold it in place) and the other the crank shaft is stripped so it does not raise or lower. The one that is in the front (with missing crank) has a fan in it and one of the blades is broken off. To repair these (assuming rest of electrical and moving elements are working which I am skeptical of) is it best to just try and replace the cranks or should I find replacemetn vent/ceiling light setups? Where would I get the parts?

Thanks
rowesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
A popular move is to replace the entire vent with Fantastic Fans. I am not advocating this replacement, but the point is, that there are almost certainly all the components you need to repair your vent lifters and fan assemblies sitting in some Airstreamer's garage out there. You might put a "want" ad on the the Forums Classified ads. Silver Trailer Supply also sells some used stuff, and if you are patient, you might find them on Ebay.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Fantastic Vent is the way to go, check it out at Vintage Trailer Supply. Fan-Tastic Fan Vent
Old 05-12-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gardner , Kansas
I have this same question for my 1986 Excella. I have 3 of these ceiling vent lights and they're dull. If I get Fantastic fans, what do I do for lighting?
RevRunRegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I replaced the rear ceiling light, vent with a fantastic fan. I have no light there now. You have to add lights somehow if you make this switch. I am keeping the light, vent in the front because of that reason. Putting in LED bulbs.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 10:51 PM   #6

1984 31' Excella
panama city , Florida
I have an '86 Excella as well. Is the lights and the fan on the same circuit. My front fan works and I was thinking about cutting the hot and neutral wires from the ballast and connect directly to led strips that will take the place of the fluorescent bulbs.
sfyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:56 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
I fit Fantastic fan innards into the original vents. I liked the idea the vent lids are metal and won't get brittle and crack from sun. the light covers are still available as reproductions from vintage trailer supply.

I did however remove the lights and put in recessed lighting in the ceiling. that was a much better modification. there are a lot of screw holes under those light and fan fixtures.

before I did that I bought some generic led tape lights and replaced the bulbs with those, they gave better light than the original bulbs.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:14 PM   #8
Linjoe

1995 30' Excella
Lithia , FL
Very similar question. I have a 1995 Excella 1000. The living room light/fan looks original, apparently it is a Jensen (written on the crank). The fan does work. My problem is that the outside cover was very deteriorated by the sun (fell apart). Been trying to find a replacement cover, but the fan has two uprights that hold the lid on and all the newer ones just have a single. Are trying to take the new cover minus the metal bracket and somehow attach the old uprights. There doesn't seem to be a hinge on the old cover to attach to the roof. We think it might be that when you crank it down, it just fits snugly onto the roof (with weatherstripping?) Any ideas?
Linjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:35 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Yakima , Washington
I am having a similar problem as Linjoe. I have a 95 Excella Classic 25. I believe now that my front lid was replaced with a Fantastic Fan lid with the slide on the right side. I have most of the original lift mechanism. It appears I am missing the two flat bars that bolt? to the lift arms. I have acquired a diagram from the Mothership and a picture from a forum post. If you just need the lid itself they are available. Are you planning to fix yours or do some kind of upgrade.
Patwright is offline   Reply With Quote