Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
ceiling vent fan question?

I was camping this weekend in hoosier national forest and because of the cool weather I opted to turn off the a/c and and opent the windows on our '77 lland yacht. I went to crank open the ceiling vents and noticed a fan in the living room vent. But I cant find the switch to operate the fan. Any one know the location or have suggestions
Thanks wayne
wayne.yl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurandwayne
But I cant find the switch to operate the fan. Any one know the location or have suggestions
Thanks wayne
It should be right next to and under the fan in the 1 inch wide ring that holds in the vent screen , unless you have the big plastic light covers like a 73, then it comes on automaticly when you open the vent, if it does not come on and is the automatic style check the fuse and the hidden switch inside the vent area.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:58 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
richardt, thanks for the info. Mine does have the big plastic covers and so the fan fuse is out or motor is bad I guess. I will check it out in the morning.Wayne
Old 06-21-2004, 09:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurandwayne
richardt, thanks for the info. Mine does have the big plastic covers and so the fan fuse is out or motor is bad I guess. I will check it out in the morning.Wayne
I have had alot of Airstreams and not one had a bad fan motor, so I bet it is the switch or fuse, these things were built tough, also It would be a good time to clean the light cover and vent area while you are looking up there, as it gets really dirty sometimes.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:26 AM   #5
BDBLUEGRASS

1975 31' Sovereign
HEBER SPRINGS , Arkansas
ON my 75 sovereign , with the large vent covers, the vents have to be completely open for the fan to come on, it activates on the very last turn of the crank.
Hope this helps

Billy
bdbluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:34 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Richardt
I have ruled out the fuse unless the fan is on a different circuit than the light. I am investigating the micro switch on the hand crank now. I need to remove the rivets that hold the fan/shroud assembly though. didn't have the right tools earlier. If It is the switch, can it be found? Thanks By the way, It is pretty dirty up there!
Old 06-24-2004, 03:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Different batting average

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt
I have had alot of Airstreams and not one had a bad fan motor, so I bet it is the switch or fuse...
I have had one Airstream, and one bad motor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BadMotor.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	7304  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote