Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Ceiling Vent Cover hinge question

Lost the ceiling vent cover over the bedroom in our 27FB this weekend and just checked the local parts place for inventory before heading over there. He asked which of several hinge designs mine was and said he has about 4 different hinge types in stock. Well, heck, I looked at it from inside the trailer before leaving for work today but didn't check the hinge. My Trailer is 35 miles from the office so I thought I'd give it a shot and see if anyone knows about the hinges on those. I figure they're gonna be pretty standard on the AS's. Mine is an 07 Safari 27FB. This isn't the fantastic fan vent, but the standard old white crank up. I just got a call back from one of the local AS dealers and he said it's a newer type that has plastic tabs instead of the old pin thru the hinge design. Anyone got a clue about that or maybe know the brand of that cover?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
local dealer says it's a Jenson New Style. gonna go pick one up and hope he's right.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If you have a choice, get the one made out of polycarbonate material. That's the stuff used on the Fantastic Fan. It will last much longer.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brow324 View Post
Lost the ceiling vent cover over the bedroom in our 27FB this weekend and just checked the local parts place for inventory before heading over there. He asked which of several hinge designs mine was and said he has about 4 different hinge types in stock. Well, heck, I looked at it from inside the trailer before leaving for work today but didn't check the hinge. My Trailer is 35 miles from the office so I thought I'd give it a shot and see if anyone knows about the hinges on those. I figure they're gonna be pretty standard on the AS's. Mine is an 07 Safari 27FB. This isn't the fantastic fan vent, but the standard old white crank up. I just got a call back from one of the local AS dealers and he said it's a newer type that has plastic tabs instead of the old pin thru the hinge design. Anyone got a clue about that or maybe know the brand of that cover?
Brow324 There was a similar question that came up on this issue on 4/29/09. Check out my reply on post #6 of this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...ferrerid=17837
Old 05-28-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The "Jensen, new style" is what is on our 19-foot Bambi.

Also, the new cover will go on a lot easier if you use a small round or rat-tail file to remove the flashing from the plastic cutouts that form the hinge. I think that forcing the cover into the mating hinge "fingers" at the factory is what caused the premature failure of our original cover; although, the cheap plastic doesn't last long in the Arizona sun.

Camco or one of the other manufacturers makes a replacement out of polycarbonate material which is much more resistant to sun-rot. Personally, the few extra dollars would be worth it if the lid lasts a few years longer.

Camco didn't make the polycarbonate cover when we replace the original lid after only one year. So, we bought two covers and keep a spare in the closet. The replacement has lasted three years so far.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Well, as luck would have it, I got home from work yesterday and climbed the step ladder to check the hinges on the vent lid. And lo and behold the old lid was laying on top of the AS. I thought it had blown off on the 4 hr drive home, which half of we made in a rain storm. But a couple of days after we got home we had some heavy weather move thru and I guess the wind just ripped it from the hinges. The old lid was deteriorated so much it felt like soft rubber. But I was able to retrieve it and take it to the parts place to get a match. It is the New Style Jenson. I'll try the file trick when installing it. I also picked up a MAXX AIR silver vent cover to go over that vent. But that all brings up another question I have about getting on top of the AS to install this stuff.....I'll put that in another post. Thanks for your replies!
Old 10-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Our Jensen lid crumbled to pieces, again. Searched the Internet for the polycarbonate replacement lid, and sorry, but I guess no one is making one for the "new-style Jensen" yet. (I swear I saw one at Al's RV about a year ago.) Anyway, now I'm in the same boat...

Sent my wife to exchange the the plain plastic lid before I found out that the polycarbonate isn't available. And, she couldn't find one, so got a refund on the spare. Now, I don't have ANY replacement lid. DANG!

I see the brand Lindeen in a couple of really old strings on this forum, but have been unable to get any details on a polycarbonate lid from them. There are a couple of listings on the Internet, but they only list one lid that sounds like it fits all manufacturers (like that's gonna work). I think that it is a special order, but can't figure out how to order it. The Web site isn't clear on how to order the right lid.

Has anyone successfully ordered a polycarbonate "new-style Jensen" lid, recently?
Old 11-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Delton , Michigan
Same problem here on our '07 Bambi 19'. Put in a fantastic fan in front when trailer was new... no problems. Headed out for the winter this year and first night out discovered a huge chunk of the rear skylight cover missing! (age: 2 years) It was raining of course. Got a replacement cover from Camping World... Jensen new style. In trying to get it on the u-shaped curved metal hinges... which point straight down. The air conditioner cover is too close to the vent to get the new vent cover laying flat to get it started on the hinges. I even removed the AC cover but didn't help much. After a lot of fooling and pushing I finally managed to break all the tabs off the new cover!!! I Gorilla-Taped it on for temporary fix. Bought another cover for back-up. Am considering bending the the metal hinges about 45º so I can get them started into the tab slots. But kinda worried about breaking the whole dang hinge bar off the frame... (it's just spot welded on). Next choice is a basic Fantastic Fan. Any advice? Anyone know for sure if the REAR vent area is pre-wired for fan? Can't believe Airstream uses this crap on their trailers at their price!!! They should be ashamed and we should all complain loudly!
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I ended up installing a second Fantastic Fan where the "New Jensen" was. Installation was simple, but removing the old vent was a bear. Also, the cutout on the roof was off by almost an inch from the cutout in the inside ceiling; and it looked like an 8-year old must have done the cutting at the factory. I was disappointed to see that the installation less like a modern automobile (precisely located, accurately shaped punched or milled cutouts), and more like shoddy home construction, where all the evidence is covered up by spackling.

If you decide to install the Fantastic Fan yourself, make sure to leave plenty of time to do it, as it took my wife and I several 2-3 hour sessions to complete the installation. Also, I had to purchase a new, angled, sheet metal cutter to clean up the original cutouts. I used a cutting (burning) adapter on a soldering iron to remove the excess plastic from the interior "garnish".

I spliced the wiring into the harness for the ceiling light fixture, similar to the way the front Fantastic Fan was done by the dealer; so it turns off and on using the light switch next to the bathroom sink.

We got the model without the rain sensor and thermostat, since we have never used those functions; and the price was about $100 less. I estimate we saved about $250 by doing it ourselves, but after a few hours of scraping old sealant off, cutting sheet metal and drilling holes in one of the metal ribs, I was thinking $250 might have been a fair price for having the dealer do it.

Anyway, it's done now; and done right. And, the polycarbonate lid has a lifetime warranty.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Phantom,

IMHO....contact FV.

My vent was cracked around the hinge rivets, it was installed over the sealant which bent the hinge. They replaced ASAP, no charge. Customer service was GREAT.

Company was recently sold hope they keep up the good work.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Vent Lid Replacement Update

Our Newer Jensen vent lid cracked at the rim so before it completely deteriorated and blew away, I decided to replace it.

It was a challenge, but I finally found one vendor with a New Style Jensen Lid replacement (the non-pin type) with a Lifetime Warranty at RVpartsNation.com. It's "official" name in their inventory is "Ct Lid Nw Jensen95+Wht Lt" Item #CST-69285. Price is $22.95. It fit perfectly and I didn't need to make any alterations in the lid. Replaced it in 5 minutes.

Below is a picture of the lid and a closeup of the new-style hinge from the side. The grey areas of the drawing are the vent body and the white parts are the vent lid itself.

I've also included a schematic showing the various type of lid hinges that I found during my research. It's ALL about the hinges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jensen New Style Lid.png
Views:	227
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	186479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jensen New Style Hinge.png
Views:	502
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	186480  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent Lid Types.jpg
Views:	1406
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	186481  
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Is it made from polycarbonate plastic, like the FantasticFan lid? I wish these had been available a few years; but I still like our two FantasticFans, because they move a lot of air.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brow324 View Post
Well, as luck would have it, I got home from work yesterday and climbed the step ladder to check the hinges on the vent lid. And lo and behold the old lid was laying on top of the AS. I thought it had blown off on the 4 hr drive home, which half of we made in a rain storm. But a couple of days after we got home we had some heavy weather move thru and I guess the wind just ripped it from the hinges. The old lid was deteriorated so much it felt like soft rubber. But I was able to retrieve it and take it to the parts place to get a match. It is the New Style Jenson. I'll try the file trick when installing it. I also picked up a MAXX AIR silver vent cover to go over that vent. But that all brings up another question I have about getting on top of the AS to install this stuff.....I'll put that in another post. Thanks for your replies!
MAXXAIR silver cover? I want one of those. Do they make it for the Fantastic fan? I have a white one now. Maybe I should paint it...
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Is it made from polycarbonate plastic, like the FantasticFan lid? I wish these had been available a few years; but I still like our two FantasticFans, because they move a lot of air.
The description doesn't say "polycarbonate," but it does say impact resistant and UV stabilized...and that is has a lifetime warranty.

After not being able to find the style of lid we needed, I was pleased to find this one. It took a while to find it,
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote