Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Bedroom skylight cover;2006 Safari

The crank open, white plastic skylight cover over the front bedroom of my 2006 Safari FB seems to have blown or broken off. The lever that the plastic part attaches to appears to be intact.

I'm wondering if anyone knows an economical way to buy the replacement, crank open cover, maybe 14' by 14". I note that exterior housing of the side of the cover that doesn't lift up has some sort of flange that looks like it accept a possible hinge on one side of the skylight cover. Do I need to buy anything other than just a replacement cover??

Anyone know what I'm talking about, haha!
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Contact your local Airstream dealer or you might consider contacting Inland RV and have them ship you one if you are determined to replace it yourself.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Is that for a Fantasic Fan?

If so, they should be easy to find and may even be warranteed.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my rear vent cover blew off in New Mexico. I bought a new cover from Camping World, but had to go to an independent RV suppy store to buy the regulator. The new regulator has a steel wheel on it and the original regulator had a plastic wheel. On mine the plastic wheel broke off, allowing the lid to flip over and break.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I found mine at a local RV store - any of them are likely to have it. There are about three styles of 14 x 14 vent covers. The one that broke on mine had sort of snap on hinges. Look carefully at yours or you'll have to buy 3 & take back two. I actually fixed mine from INSIDE, by taking out the screen, throwing a rope off the roadside (no awning), tying the new vent cover onto the rope, pulling it up and snapping it in place. I had to bend and straighten the lifting mechanism to attach it, but it was fairly easy.

I plan to replace the passive vent with another fantastic fan in my new unit. They guarantee their covers for life.

Last time around, one person who replaced his, said he spray painted it on the outside to prevent it from weathering in the sun. NO UV protection in this plastic.

I made a temporary cover from the plastic lid of a storage bin. It had a small inside lip - and I drilled holes in this and tied on the replacement with elastic.

Paula
Old 03-02-2009, 04:17 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia

If it's a Fantastic Fan they will replace the cover,(and everything else), free for life, just got one last year. If not any RV outlet should have a replacement

I cover all plastic on the roof with white garbage bags to protect them during storage, UV is a killer even in Winter.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The Fantastic Fan covers are so tough, you can leave them up and they stay on. Not recommended! Don't ask how I know.

Gene
Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The Fantastic Fan covers are so tough, you can leave them up and they stay on. Not recommended! Don't ask how I know.

Gene
Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Not Fantastic Fan cover

This blown off cover is not for the Fantastic Fan (Which is at the rear of a 2006 Safari SE). My cover is a crank up cover--there is a hand crank inside the trailer over the front bed that raises this roughly 12" square WHITE plastic cover, NOT 14" square as earlier estimated! I'm still trying to find out what is the exact make and model of the skylight that Airstream uses. I called Airstream today but they won't even return a phone call for two days.

Anybody out there that knows about this type of cover that Airstream uses?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Talking

A 14x14 cover should be available from most RV stores.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Airstream has been shut down for several weeks. I believe everyone is back today.

Gene
Old 03-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I keep doing research. Even though my actual opening is 12" square, I think the vent is considered a 14" square vent when you consider the metal frame surrounding it. Also, although I wasn't able to get any tech help from Airstream, I was able to talk to a parts person who said the vent manufacturer is Elixir. The part number I was also given was unhelpful for buying the part over the internet versus driving to Albuquerque from Santa Fe to a dealer. From there I think I determined that there are basically two types of Elixir vent covers, the "old" type or the "new" type. A 2006 trailer like mine is considered new so any supplier that has the new is what I want. Instead of white, a smoke color can also be used.

I've learned also that you really gotta inspect these vents, anticipating that the cheap plastic will fail and that the vent will blow off. My trailer sat on a storage lot over the winter. I think the cover blew off after I parked the trailer. I only noticed this problem after I had moved the trailer 100 miles. Anyway, the poor quality of these covers and the risk of a "hole in the roof in winter time" explains why I think you see guys using a plastic vent housing that covers the vent and allows it to open. They are made by MaxxAir and cost about $50 plus $13 for a bracket set that attaches to the existing vent housing. So my advice for Airstream owners is to spend the extra few dollars and buy the vent housing by MaxxAir. Doesn't look too hard to install yourself.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic

The biggest advantage with the maxair is they allow venting while traveling,
not for me though, to darn ugly. Got enough stuff up there already.

We're up on the roof a lot around here, what with the snow and cold weather, so keeping an eye on vents and seals is part of the normal Winterizing routine. A/S's very precise caulking procedure requires re-sealing this Spring.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
My neighbor had a tree branch fall across his trailer. He is kind of a slug, so after a month of him doing nothing, I decided to go up on his RV roof and inspect. Sure enough, his (very cheap) plastic cover was shattered -- it was only slightly thicker than a milk jug, and had let a month's worth of rain into his trailer. Those covers are readily available at most RV parts websites and stores.

I have MaxxAir vents installed on my front (Fantastic Fan) and rear (manual) vents. This not only allows venting while traveling (nice in all kinds of weather), but allows rain-free venting in our Pacific NW climate all year long. I agree that they are bulky-ish, but not overwhelmingly ugly (I mean, the AC is far uglier!). I did get two different colors (light for the front living area, and dark for the rear bedroom).
longdog is offline   Reply With Quote