Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
bathroom exhaust fan handle replacement

is there a source for the plastic handle that operates the open and close vent for a 1978 A.S. bathroom exhaust fan?
charlie tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
If you have the type that is in the roof and you push on the handle to open, contact Ventline. Find them on the web and give them a call - they're very helpful.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:28 AM   #3
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
greeny,
thanks, yes - you push the handle up to open the exhaust vent..... tuna
charlie tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Even though Ventline no longer sells that bath vent to manufacturers as new design, they still sell parts, and many Airstream dealers also carry the handle part. You might also consider spending an extra $13 or so to get a replacement plastic vent cover (the upside down pie-plate that moves up and down..). Those are prone to cracking after a long time in the sun, and might be bigger problem if Ventline stopped furnishing those...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
The motor on my bath vent in my '89 needed a push on the blade to get running. I contacted Ventline and they sent me a new motor and blade since the motor shaft design had changed from a 'D' shaft to spline or vice versa.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:32 PM   #6
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
OK-stupid ?

I received a 5 3/4" round replacement screen for my bath fan. from Ventline-nice folks!
The old one crumbled in my hand!

How do you replace the screen?

Do you have to cut the wires?

I can't fit the round switch through the new screen...all the connections are soldered (nice work by the way!).
Is that how it is done? Cut the wires, put the new screen in place, and then reconnect the wires?

Thanx, Bill
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:01 AM   #7
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Bathroom exhaust fan screen replacement help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
OK-stupid ?

I received a 5 3/4" round replacement screen for my bath fan. from Ventline-nice folks!
The old one crumbled in my hand!

How do you replace the screen?

Do you have to cut the wires?

I can't fit the round switch through the new screen...all the connections are soldered (nice work by the way!).
Is that how it is done? Cut the wires, put the new screen in place, and then reconnect the wires?

Thanx, Bill
Any takers???
Old 09-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Sorry Bill...

Sounds like our identical units are on parallel paths based on 1 year age difference... I had to change lid and screen and handle last year, when upper plastic lid cracked and switch failed...

Handle attaches with two screws that come in from sides visible when handle pulled down and lid retracted...

From there, the plastic rimmed screen removed with the two sheet metal screws that go through plastic into galvanized sheet metal shroud strips alongside fan motor. I am struggling to remember (since I needed to replace switch anyway) how switch attaches to plastic and screen, but I believe there is nut on back.. I had to cut and re-attach wires anyway for new switch , and it is relatively easy to do with butt connector tube, though I used "bullet" connectors and small application of elecrical grease to block corrosion. Assemble in reverse order with screen and handles, though I'd test fan rotation for exhaust feature before walking away from it. Reversing wires will reverse fan rotation..

John McG

>> Was back in southern RI on beach near Misquamicut in late August.. Wish I could join group at Pt Judith and Block Island later this month

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:40 PM   #9
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Sounds like our identical units are on parallel paths based on 1 year age difference... I had to change lid and screen and handle last year, when upper plastic lid cracked and switch failed...

Handle attaches with two screws that come in from sides visible when handle pulled down and lid retracted...

From there, the plastic rimmed screen removed with the two sheet metal screws that go through plastic into galvanized sheet metal shroud strips alongside fan motor. I am struggling to remember (since I needed to replace switch anyway) how switch attaches to plastic and screen, but I believe there is nut on back.. I had to cut and re-attach wires anyway for new switch , and it is relatively easy to do with butt connector tube, though I used "bullet" connectors and small application of elecrical grease to block corrosion. Assemble in reverse order with screen and handles, though I'd test fan rotation for exhaust feature before walking away from it. Reversing wires will reverse fan rotation..

John McG

>> Was back in southern RI on beach near Misquamicut in late August.. Wish I could join group at Pt Judith and Block Island later this month
Hi John-great to hear from you!
Hope you had a great summer-we did, got out quite a bit w/no major issues.

I just replaced that screen about an hour ago.

Guess I better double check the rotation in the a.m.....

We will probably stop by Fishermans Memorial rally and would also like to attend Apple Fest.

Sure would like to meet some of you great folks.
Thanks again, you have been a great help.

Bill