Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2005, 08:25 AM   #1

Thumbs up Astrodome Installation

Before I bugger up a new astrodome for an old (63) Safari, is there anyone out there thats been there done that? Any helpfull tips or warnings would be appreciated. The old one was missing and a piece of clear plastic was glued/caulked over the opening. The new dome did not come with any instructions. I am nervous about drilling holes in it and getting the operators riveted into the right position.
Whiteout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Just installed one ....

I followed the Airstream Dreams pictures and it worked. I had to put a 1/2 inch weatherstrip between the cover and the metal lip. Used stainless bolts & nuts as in the pix.

http://www.airstreamdreams.com/item.html?PRID=1369609
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I didn't have any problems, but I don't think I got the instruction sheet. Make sure the lifter cranks are vertical, put the lid in position, and mark the hinge with a #2 pencil.

I didn't do the through bolt/nut assembly. I used #10 fine thread pan head SS screws. I tapped the imbedded steel mounting strip with a bottom tap, but it still cracked through the outside gelcoat. Used Loctite on the screws, and a little dab of gelcoat to patch the holes.

Used 1/2 foam weatherstrip that I got from an autobody supply shop, held on with 3M adhesive.

Rank this a 2 on the 0-5 hardship scale.

The only disappointment is that the new Astrodome is fiberglas with gelcoat, so there is no light transmission. The old translucent plastic lids let in a little light. If you want one of those, you can get them from Inland RV.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I, likewise order an new Astrodome cover last year from Airstreamdream for my 64GT..
The old saying of measuring twice before cutting is so very true...Except, in my case, I must have measured 4 or 5 times, as I was wanted it to be "perfect".
The real challenge was the replacement screen..I had nothing to judge by except for the old screen over the rear exhaust vent..I had special ordered one from a local hardware store.~ Cost was way below what I had figured..(At least I don't think I could've ordered it any cheaper and have coming out as nice as it was).
Here's some pictures of our efforts..
http://www.airforums.com/forum...0&page=3&pp=50
(Starts at entries 111)
Good luck with yours~!!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Cardiff , California
Hi! I was reading your posts about replacing your Astrodomes... As a Newbie I hope I'm posting my follow-up question in the right place. I have a lighter fiberglass cover on my AS which is cracked and broken. You'all mentioned the fact that the Airstreamdreams Astrodome is darker than the original fiberglass covers. I've seen that Inland RV has a white replacement cover as well. I like the idea of a lighter cover but the picture on their website seems to show a cover with a lower profile which doesn't seem to quite match mine. Has anyone used this replacement cover? Does anyone know if there is much of a difference between the products? Thanks!
Ohanastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Gypsygirl1 and Hubby

1959 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Ontario
Thanks for all the info on the Astrodome.... We just got ours in the mail today. (We're currently using a plastic lid from a storage bin? Requires a couple of bungee cords). We'll be attempting the installation this week. Will let you know how we do! !!
gypsygirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote