Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2003, 04:53 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
A Few Notes on Fantastic Fan Install

Well, I got it done. Thanks to Dabler for his fine photos that inspired me to tackle this project.
The hardest part for me was removing the old vent, after the rivets and exterior calking and gasket was removed. There was some calking done presumably by the factory on the inside of the outside skin that was binding it up. I just kept loosening, and prying all the way around until it popped.

Dabler warned about hitting the wires, while enlarging the opening. Thankfully there are two sets of power lines in there, guess what happened?

When fastening the new FF down, be very careful that you don't hit any wires with the supplied self tapping screws. Be very careful in the front right corner of the vent if you have a 70's unit. There is a BIG bundle of wires that are right in that corner. When I screwed the plastic interior garnish on I had to shorten the screw in that corner and remove the point so it would not cut into the wires up there.

Othere than cutting one set of power wires with the grinder and somehow cutting my right thumb, the project went very well. I am satisfied with the end result.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:58 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
What did you do (or are you going to do) about the light fixture that was "in" the original vent/fan/light? (I'm assuming you put the FF in the front vent...)
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

What I did

I know you were talking to Pick, but I will quickly tell you what I did. I opted for the translucent white dome that FF offers for more light than the tinted one provides.
In addition, while I haven't yet replaced the old light at the vent, I did use rope lighting up under the valances all the way around the front. The dome seems to provide good light during the day and the rope gives good indirect light at night. I was turned on to the rope lighting by RoadKingMoe (and also the bar idea!)
I may someday add a halogen light at the vent, but the FF install really cleans up the ceiling due to being flush mounted that a light fixture would project out and be real obvious. Gotta find the right one, I guess.
Dave-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

My FF project is still on hold pending completion of other projects.

A man at Fantastic Fan told me he once did installs of their product at rallys. He warned about watching for wires in the most emphatic manner. He says he once installed one on an Airstream and, in drilling the holes for the screws, managed to hit wiring with the drill bit on every hole down one side.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:09 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Anyone know if on this years model, if you did not get the FF option, if the wiring is still up there so that I don't have to use the light wires or are the light wires what the factory would have used?

Thanks,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 05:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Eric, mine had two sets, one for fan and one for lights. The light side is #14. With six bulbs drawing 1.5 amps each that is 9 amps. Not sure what the old fan motor was/is but that was #10 wire. The Fantasic Fan only draws 3 amps, take it from there.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 06:55 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks Pick. Looks to me like A/S thinks just like GM in this regard. They make the trailer all the same way with all the wires where they need to be and if you buy the accessories, they just use the power lines that are already pulled. I did look at the supplied wiring diagrams, but could not find the answer there. Then again, looking at the pluming diagrams took forever for me to figure that out too!

Makes it pretty easy. Not sure about the earlier models, but the 2003 appears to have a14" opening already.

Thanks for the info,

Eric
Old 06-23-2003, 10:24 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to JeffandSuzanne
VENT OPENING . . .?

I CAN'T GET TO MY TRAILER FOR A WHILE; SO DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE FRONT VENT OPENING ON A 1998 EXCELLA 1000 IS 14"? I PLAN TO REMOVE THE VENT FAN/LIGHT COMBO AND INSTALL A FANTASTICK FAN; BUT I'M NOT CRAZY ABOUT CUTTING ALUMINUM SKIN!
Old 06-23-2003, 11:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I believe the basic opening is 14" x 14", but the corners are rounded and will need to be cut and squared off.
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 12:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Question Aluminum paint?

I've just bought a FF and am getting ready to install it. Just wondering if any of you painted the exterior of the FF aluminum to match your AS, or do you all think that is going overboard? Does FF offer a matching bezel or trim of some kind? I guess I'm just thinking that it might be easier to paint it to match before I install it.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:26 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's been a while since I looked at the FF, but when I did look, I believe the color is white to match the new roof colors done at the factory. I see you have a 60's model. I think you may be right about painting it to match.

Eric
Old 11-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Canby , Oregon
Any tips on the dealing with the vinyl covered ceiling I my 98 Safari?
62BAMBI is offline   Reply With Quote