Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #1

1968 28' Ambassador
1989 32' Excella
Burt , Michigan
1989 Excella roof vents replacment advice

Hello Everyone,
I need to replace the front and back power fan roof vents on my 1989 32' Excella.

Both vent covers are damaged or gone.
I'm sure the original vents are impossible to get.

What is an easy replacement vent to install?

Thank you,
jmcleod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Sachse , Texas
These airstream forums are starting to become useless for some of us. I've had several post that get a lot of views and nobody chimes in with any comments or help. Of all the forums I've been a part of, this community sucks. Sorry that the 70 something people that looked at your post didn't take 30 seconds to respond or help. Rant over...

I'm looking to do this upgrade soon myself. I think I'm going to go with the Maxxair Deluxe. They're not the cheapest but seem like the best option. I have a 92 Excella.
Goondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:18 AM   #3

1968 28' Ambassador
1989 32' Excella
Burt , Michigan
Vent Cover solution found

I was thinking the same thing.
Doesn't anyone reply????

Here's what I found about the vents on my Excella.
I've been blessed with original documents from previous owner and I've attached one related to the vents.

Vent Manufacturer: Fan-Tastic Vent Corporation
Vent Cover Part#: 1020

I searched online and found this business was bought by Dometic Corp.
Amazon sells these covers for approx. $44, I bought one and it matches up exactly.
Later, I found General RV (Michigan) sells these for $39+tax ($42)

Hope this helps you,
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0984.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	392724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	392725  

jmcleod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Not sure I understand the comments about the forums. I can certainly take a shot at replacing the vents though. I have done 3 of mine in 2 trailers. The common replacements are the Fantastic Fan and the Max air fan. You have to enlarge the hole in the roof at the corners. You need a 14" square hole and the original vent has round corners.

The rear vent is a easy replacement. Take the old one out. Cut the holes larger. Install the new vent.

Now for the tricky part. The front vent can be a total nightmare. All the wires in the trailer run around that vent. The wires part and half go around each side tightly. There may not be room for the square corners of the new vent. I got mine in but I hammered on wires with a wooden block and worried about hitting a wire with every hole and screw that had to go in. After I started I remembered that the mobile RV tech who installed the rear vent declined to do the front vent when I asked him. Too many wires he said.

I did not find a vent that was a direct replacement without trimming out the corners. I found components for rebuilding the front vent cover but declined to do that because I thought the vent was leaking where it was sealed to the trailer. I tried to remove the vent and re install it. I had to take a vibrating saw and cut the rivets to get it out. I did not want to try to replace it with Olympic rivets.

So my advise is to do the rear vent first for experience. Then look at the front vent and decide. Lots of people do the front vent. I decide to leave the one I have not done. I put a Max Air cover over it. That is another way to go if it is just the vent cover leaking.

I would look at Outdoors Mart for a possible direct replacement vent. If anybody has it it would be them. I did not see the need of a direct replacement until I tangled with the wires so I did not look hard.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote