Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Wing window gasket source...

Found an outfit in Canada that sells glazing gaskets, looking over the site, I found a profile that looked PERFECT. Of course, it was discontinued. So I emailed asking if there was a substitute part number, or even an old roll in a back corner of the warehouse. Didn't really expect much, but I got a response bright and early this morning, with a substitute number, it was in stock, and I could order directly from their web site. To top it all off, it's only $1.32 a foot. Ordered today, will post an update when it gets here. Oh, for anyone interested, here's the source: Glazing Gasket (Wrap-around) : All-Glass Parts Part number is 12-1414. Later.

Dave
daved20319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You could just cut the outer lip off of the ones you have and put a bead of Vulkem around to replace it. Those gaskets leak and then water ends up between the pains. If you are going to rebuild the windows you need to think of how they got the way they are now. I would still consider cutting away the outer lip even if you use this stuff. Once water is between the frame and the glass it will eventually get between the panes.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Water wasn't my issue, Perry...

Mine were dry between the panes, but I had water leaks into the trailer. Also, the butyl spacer between the panes had shifted over the years and miles and looked like crap. Finally, I'm putting tinting film between the panes on all the windows. Although considering that I have to remove the frames to get to the glass in the wing windows, I may just put the film on the inside of the window, instead of between the panes. If I have a problem with the others, it's no big deal to pull them apart again. All that said, I may still cut the outer lip from the gasket and seal it with Sikaflex. Later.

Dave
Old 01-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I had a water leak at the frame seam between the right and left halves of the window frame. I sealed the outer edge after removing the lip from the window gasket and the leak went away. I don't know of any way to get the windows out of the fixed window frame without taking all the rivets out and pulling the right and left halves apart. The frame is a one piece extrusion.

Perry

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Yup, drilling out all the rivets is the only way to get them apart. I've already done one, but was waiting on a gasket source before I tackle the other one. I'm kind of surprised I didn't have worse leakage, the gasket on the first one was in pretty sorry shape, but the seal between the windows was still intact, even though it looked bad.

Considering some of the horror stories I've read here, I consider myself pretty lucky with the general condition of this trailer. No rot, no major damage to anything, most of what I've needed to do is upgrades rather than repairs. Even these windows is more cosmetic than critical. Later.

Dave
Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Any luck

Hi Dave,

Any luck with the gasket? Was the size correct?
zonacpa is offline   Reply With Quote