Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #1

1969 31' Sovereign
pickens , South Carolina
windows, your thoughts????

We have just purchased a 1969 Sovereign 31' land yacht and it has two busted out windows. The entire trailer is pretty rough but we got it for what we thought was a deal and hope that with some repairs we will be able to make some family memories soon. We are a young couple with 3 young sons and this is our first camper, so we are SUPER excited! We borrowed my parents' camper for our first camping trip and now we are hooked! Any advice is greatly appreciated because neither me nor my husband have any idea where to start, with the exception replacing the missing windows! Thanks in advance,Bree
breeandtrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Welcome!! I'd start by getting those windows replaced before winter, replacing the weatherstrip on the still present windows, and sealing around the vents, tops of window frames etc and try to get your new toy weather tight before winter. Then at your convenience you can start investigating what works, what doesn't, what needs repair etc. If the weather is too crummy outside to do it, you can spend the rest of the winter reading all the great stuff on the forums! Windows are available for the 69 from out of doors mart, inlandrv.com and airstream dealers. Hopefully the hinge parts are still there. Also I noticed a couple 69 windows on ebay lately, but be careful, make sure to confirm measurements, lots if different sized windows in 69. Congrats!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome Bree,

Congrats on the 69. Windows can be replaced with some being easier and cheaper to come by than others. As for wear to start? Perhaps some photographs would help.

Welcome again,

Kevin

By the way...I frequent Pickens and Easley routinely. Love the area.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeandtrey View Post
We have just purchased a 1969 Sovereign 31' land yacht and it has two busted out windows. The entire trailer is pretty rough but we got it for what we thought was a deal and hope that with some repairs we will be able to make some family memories soon. We are a young couple with 3 young sons and this is our first camper, so we are SUPER excited! We borrowed my parents' camper for our first camping trip and now we are hooked! Any advice is greatly appreciated because neither me nor my husband have any idea where to start, with the exception replacing the missing windows! Thanks in advance,Bree
The 1969 Airstream windows, used a goofy hinge, that has not been available for 40 years.

You can only purchase a 1970 to 1974 window as a replacement, and then you must remove the hinge from the old window and install it on the new window.

A word of caution. To the eye, the hinges look the same, but they are for sure different.

If you install the replacement window, it goes fine, until you attempt to lower it in place. Then you find the problem, as the rivets on the new window hinge, will all shear off.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Jay , Maine
Andy I hope you can answer this. Ive been searching everywhere for a answer. I own a 1974 Sovereign 31" land yacht. The bathroom window and frame is missing. I have the window rods,screen(interior) but need the outside glass and frame. Any place to get this? Crossing fingers and toes?
Keith
VIPER2
Viper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
Andy I hope you can answer this. Ive been searching everywhere for a answer. I own a 1974 Sovereign 31" land yacht. The bathroom window and frame is missing. I have the window rods,screen(interior) but need the outside glass and frame. Any place to get this? Crossing fingers and toes?
Keith
VIPER2
The glass comes with the metal frame around it and it's called the sash.

If the frame that's riveted into the shell is missing, no problem, as it's available too.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote