Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Exclamation Window Replacement New Window Gaskets

Hello We Just bought a 1975 AS Sovereign 31 foot. Its in need of some new Glass. One windows has been changed out with really thin Plexiglass and the others have really bad tint job that has bubbled really bad. And the rubber seals are all dried out. Guess my first question is where would one go about getting a new piece of glass for the window just in front of the door. Second how hard are the windows to get out and take the old tint off of. And third where can we get new rubber and when or if we find it how does it attach? thanks for the help. New to the AS world but love this site. It Rocks for new Owners and Im sure older owners of AS.
pawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Pawnguy
1) glass is not available from A/S but new window is.
2) look at your other thread and I answered how to remove window
3)new rubber is available from any A/S dealer like INLAND RV of California and it is peel and stick. I also answered how to remove old rubber in other thread
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
So you say the glass isn't available anymore but the new glass is. Does the new glass work or if not where would I get the glass. Can a local glass shop do tempered glass to fit? Or is there a place to get the glass for a 1975. Inland rv doesn't show that they have that year glass... Thanks a lot...
pawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnguy View Post
So you say the glass isn't available anymore but the new glass is. Does the new glass work or if not where would I get the glass. Can a local glass shop do tempered glass to fit? Or is there a place to get the glass for a 1975. Inland rv doesn't show that they have that year glass... Thanks a lot...
Our web site list of parts, is a sale list "only", and shows less than 5 percent of the stocked parts.

Local glass shops cannot make the curved glass for your windows. The next problem is you will find the gray gasket that's between the glass and sash, will fall apart. Airstream will not sell that gasket.

Then taking the sash (frame) apart is very difficult since it's held together with 2 steel bars, that are within the sash. Corrosion sets up in time, that almost welds the 2 sash pieces together.

Reassembling the 2 pieces of sash, then offers more obstacles, as if not done correctly, the window will no longer fit the metal frame that's riveted to the shell.

Lastly, one half of the window hinge will have to be reriveted, using buck rivets, with a very small head, then a new gasket would have to be installed on the backside of the sash. Reverse pop rivets should not be used since they will leak, as well as look "ugly".

75 windows should have a "T" handle lift arm, which makes them a "Deluxe" sash and glass.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
As Andy says glass can not be made by local shops and gaskets are not available but complete windows frame and all are available. Call him and he will get what you need.
Exactly which window is the plexiglass one? The opening windows or the front curved window called a WING WINDOW. The small rectangular windows below the lift up opening windows are STACK WINDOWS and above are called VISTA VIEWS.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Any way to clean the vista blues.. They are foggy looking??
Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 AM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
You may have the vista blues from looking through the foggy vista view windows. Most people remove the inner pane and discard it. I think in 75 yours did not have the removable split ring holding the window in place. The inner pane in some was plexiglass and in others regular glass. You will have to break the inner pane if it is glass. Lookin windows section and do a google search for vista view repairs. There are several threads on doing this. These threads will have plenty of information and pictures.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My 75 TW has the split ring and the inner piece is Plexiglas. The only thing that is harder then getting the ring out, is getting it back in...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
Converting Double pane to single

I've been successful at converting my old bubbled, fogged, double pane windows to the single pane configuration ( what Airstream now sells new).
Andy is right, it will involve drilling out some rivets and removing the pane from the sash. It will involve removing the inner pane and cleaning the solar film off the inside outer pane. It will involve machining a filler from aluminum bar stock to fill the void ( .290) where the old pane (double thickness of glass plus the rubber filler) to the single pane configuration. My method however, requires no glass to be broken, and I reassemble the unit with new "U" gasket, making the window virtually "new condition"!
It's a lot of work, but when spending around $450.00 for new sashes each, I thought it worth the time and effort. Will be retiring in 8 months and am considering rebuilding old double pane windows to single pane configuration for Airstream owners as a hobby, as I have the tools and jigs for the process sitting in my shop ready to do some more. The whole process takes a day or two.

As a foot note: Each converted window costs me about $ 6.00 in materials..:-)

Mike
Joebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hello All.
Just bought an 87 345. 24k miles its mint on the inside and out. But I have to rebuild the windows. the rubber is pretty bad. And those plastic clips that cover the weep holes, some are broken. So I have to replace the rubber and gray plastic channels on the side windows and the front side sliders. Any help would be most welcomed. thanks Dave
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Jay View Post
Hello All.
Just bought an 87 345. 24k miles its mint on the inside and out. But I have to rebuild the windows. the rubber is pretty bad. And those plastic clips that cover the weep holes, some are broken. So I have to replace the rubber and gray plastic channels on the side windows and the front side sliders. Any help would be most welcomed. thanks Dave
All the original window gaskets and weep hole covers are available from some Airstream dealers.

You should also check the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, as the only last 2 to 3 years. Removing one of those polished covers will answer the question.

Also, you should pull one or both sides of the "tag axle" and inspect the electric brake assembly, as well as service the bearings and for sure replace the grease seals. The proper tag axle grease seal is double lipped and has a
spring in it as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
U-Boat

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
North Kingstown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Jay View Post
Hello All.
Same question here (resurrecting this thread) - I want to replace the window gaskets on the driver and passenger side front sliding windows on my 1987 345 MH. Looking for a current supplier for these gaskets.
kerwooddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebanjo View Post
I've been successful at converting my old bubbled, fogged, double pane windows to the single pane configuration ( what Airstream now sells new).
Andy is right, it will involve drilling out some rivets and removing the pane from the sash. It will involve removing the inner pane and cleaning the solar film off the inside outer pane. It will involve machining a filler from aluminum bar stock to fill the void ( .290) where the old pane (double thickness of glass plus the rubber filler) to the single pane configuration. My method however, requires no glass to be broken, and I reassemble the unit with new "U" gasket, making the window virtually "new condition"!
It's a lot of work, but when spending around $450.00 for new sashes each, I thought it worth the time and effort. Will be retiring in 8 months and am considering rebuilding old double pane windows to single pane configuration for Airstream owners as a hobby, as I have the tools and jigs for the process sitting in my shop ready to do some more. The whole process takes a day or two.

As a foot note: Each converted window costs me about $ 6.00 in materials..:-)

Mike
I know this is an old post but It sure sounds like you have the fix. If I understand your fix, it is to remove the glass panes from the frame and reinstall just the outer pane with a new gasket and spacer to keep it tight to the outside of the frame. If this is the fix, where could a diy guy like me get the gasket material?
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows tint gaskets