Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2003, 10:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Angry window question

I came home the other nite and noticed that someone put a BB or pellet through one of my 1976 airstream windows, it was a side window not the front curved one, however it seems to have a slight curve to it also. Anyone have any experience replacing one of these the glass measures 28 1/2 x 20 1/4 is this something that any glass company can replace or is it a factory item. Does anyone have a line on these windows new or used (Andy?)

Thanks for any help
Paul
paul k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 11:43 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I belive that those would need to be OEM. Either that or you could go with lexan, but it will scratch over time. R&R is easy. Open window, detach lift arms and lift past 90 degrees. It should drop out of the top track. I think Andy has them or can get you one. Another source would be Colaws. Look in the vendor forum for their contact info.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 11:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I would go for an AS dealer over a glass company. My mh has steel keys (corroded and frozen) between the 2 window frame halves and they were not fun to get out. A good AS body man could do it without tearing up the frame, I am not so sure about a glass shop. They probably don't have the capability to rivet it back in either.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 01:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Windows

Paul.
Glass shops cannot properly replace, just the glass. First of all it's curved and tempered. Secondly, the gasket must be replaced, which is not available at any price from Airstream. I have looked for it for years, to no avail.

Additionally, I seriously doubt that any glass shop would have the proper riveting tools or rivets, so that the sash and glass would be as rigid as original.

Replacement windows are available, from most any dealer, provided they have someone on their staff that is familiar with your trailer.

Also, contact your insurance company. If you don't have insurance on the trailer, then contact your homeowners insurance company.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 05:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Well ok i found a window at the local rv salvage yard they want $200 for it im going to try to replace it with some plexiglass from work first and see what it looks like before i spend the $$$$$ I know im a tightwad. Boy if i ever catch that little SOB (and im not talking about some other brand ) LOL.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:19 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
price

paul

if you can get that window for $200 you may want to buy it!

if not, look here

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I replaced all the acrylite windows on the Argosy Minuet that I used to have. You can carefully separate the frames but watch for the corroded keyways which hold and align the halves. You will need to reuse the gasket, I looked for weeks and never found an exact replacement. I went back with plexiglas which is probably not as scratch resistant as the Acrylite but I think it will hold up well enough. You can put them back together with truss head s.s. screws and acorn locking nuts. Put the truss heads on the side where the gasket glues to and they will work fine.

The trickiest part of your situation is you have no pattern, the window material needs to be exactly the right size or you won't be able to get the frames back together.

Good luck!!

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Paul.
Plexiglass "IS NOT" intended for exterior use.
Granted, it's cheap. As a result of that, the sun will crack and craze it in 30-60 days, gauranteed.
Many others have found that out, the hard way.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

.OK i got it all back together with some lexan it looks pretty good should hold till i save up for the real replacement .by the way chaz thanks for the tips it all came apart pretty well the keyways are in good shape.And as always Andy thanks for your advice sorry just cant afford dealer prices right now. It only took a minute or two to put it back on. When i get the factory one i'll have an emergency spare. Hopefully i wont need it.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:56 AM   #10
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Photos

Paul, would you happen to have any photos of the disassembled window?

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 09:59 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

I sure dont , but would be more than happy to explain the procedure it was acually quite easy