Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Mooresville , North Carolina
Window opening/locking mechanism replacement

This one is for all of you customizers out there.
I am looking for a device or method of eliminating the current opening mechanism and locking mechanism on the windows and replace it with something that will only allow the windows to open 3-4 inches, similar to an opening side window on a van. I would like to to remove all existing rods and locking latches. Any ideas? I am also wanting to permanently lock a couple of the windows and remove the exisitng rods and latches. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated?
jtsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsanchez
This one is for all of you customizers out there.
I am looking for a device or method of eliminating the current opening mechanism and locking mechanism on the windows and replace it with something that will only allow the windows to open 3-4 inches, similar to an opening side window on a van. I would like to to remove all existing rods and locking latches. Any ideas? I am also wanting to permanently lock a couple of the windows and remove the exisitng rods and latches. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated?
What year and model do you have? Not sure about the customization bit but if you're going to part with the current window parts (and they match those used in my model) I'd love to take them off your hands!
bbqmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you have the three notch system I have, the bottom notch will hold the window open about 3". There are replacements available at Out of Doors Mart.
I suppose the side rods could be removed. The lower latches will hold the windows closed permanently by flipping the handles flat.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Thanks for the input. The rods are cumbersome and for the larger windows can be difficult requiring a lot of armstrength. Has anyone used automotive parts like those used to open side van windows?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
My Airstream is a '74 Sovereign.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a '74 Argosy. The opening mechanism is probably the same.
Once you get the knack of it, they open easier. It's not so much strength, it's know how to use the side rods.
Granted the larger windows are more of a challenge.
I would suggest practicing with a smaller window to see if you can get it to open easier with practice.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote