Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Window leaks--front and rear?

We were in a lot of rain in The South in April and the front (above the couch) and rear (above the night stand) windows leaked. The water collected in the channels in both cases and seemed to come from the top.....small drips....but after 12 hours would fill the channels and in both cases they seem to slope inward so especially in the bedroom above Brenda's bed (we're always leaning that way no matter how hard I try to level the thing) it soaked the wall a little.

I caulked all those little center-of-the-rivet holes in the front and that seemed to almost fix that perfectly but the bedroom isn't made the same--no little rivets with holes--think the front has them because of the rock guard.....

The rear leaked less if I unlatched the window--I have rimless windows and the window is locked with sort of twist and snap type fasteners that are adjustable. Do you think it is possible that the window cinches down to tightly--fasteners are at the bottom--and somehow a gap is left at the top because the bottom is so tight??

Where else could the leak(s) come from. Everything looks caulked--clearance lights, seams, etc.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
My rear leak was coming from higher up....yep....the rooftop vent cap vulkem had become unbonded and was allowing seapage into the inner wall, which was running down the interior frame structure and then down into the coach, and it only appeared that the water was coming from the window, or the rear running lights, or tail lights.
Leaks are a difficult thing to find at times....good luck.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Front Window Leak

After my recent wash and clean-up preparing for our next trip, I opened the front rock guard and window and found that this window ledge had some water in it. (I took the picture after I dried it out.) It probably shouldn't have gotten in there, and I'll take a look to see if I can find where it is coming in.

There doesn't seem to be any "weep holes" to let the water drain out. Should there be?

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3830.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	82130  
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin View Post
After my recent wash and clean-up preparing for our next trip, I opened the front rock guard and window and found that this window ledge had some water in it. (I took the picture after I dried it out.) It probably shouldn't have gotten in there, and I'll take a look to see if I can find where it is coming in.

There doesn't seem to be any "weep holes" to let the water drain out. Should there be?

Randy
Randy,
The water should not get in there at all. Our '87 exhibited the same problem and was fixed by me replacing the window gasket. But I should hope you wouldn't have to replace window seals on an '07. The seals on our '06 are still water tight. You might try lubricating the seals with a little bit of a silicone lubricant. I have a bottle of Dow Corning 360 Medical Fluid which I use on all the door and window seals. A very little goes a VERY long way and the bottle should last a lifetime...that is unless I drop it
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
After I dried it out, I did lube the seals as you suggested. It seems like the street side of the window doesn't close as firmly as the curbside does. I can push on the window and there is noticeably more give there than anywhere else. That's probably where the water got in, but I haven't confirmed that yet. I just finished polishing her up and don't want to mess up the job yet. Is there anyway to adjust the clasp to make it pull a little harder on that side?

Thanks,

Randy

Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Quote:
After I dried it out, I did lube the seals as you suggested. It seems like the street side of the window doesn't close as firmly as the curbside does. I can push on the window and there is noticeably more give there than anywhere else. That's probably where the water got in, but I haven't confirmed that yet. I just finished polishing her up and don't want to mess up the job yet. Is there anyway to adjust the clasp to make it pull a little harder on that side?

Thanks,

Randy

Randy,
The "window closer clamps" are adjustable. If you loosen the nuts holding the little arm that flips up to secure the window you should be able to pull the window tighter against the seal (loosen the nut on the outside away from the screen then tighten the nut closest to the screen a few threads, and then tighten the outside nut agains the little arm) and hopefully stop your leak.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Window Fixed

Carl,

I made those adjustments today. Turns out that on the street-side the clamp was just barely gripping the window. I now have it adjusted so that it pulls the window snug with the seal. I'm pretty sure that fixed the leak.

Thanks,

Randy

Old 06-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Carl,

I made those adjustments today. Turns out that on the street-side the clamp was just barely gripping the window. I now have it adjusted so that it pulls the window snug with the seal. I'm pretty sure that fixed the leak.

Thanks,

Randy
Randy,
I'm just glad I could help. I hope Mother Nature doesn't give you a chance to test it .
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 08-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Mother Nature Testing

Carl,

Mother Nature did test it for me. We've had several days of rain on the Nor By Nor East caravan, and each time I get some water in there. I tightened both latches as tight as I could get them and it still leaks. I'm going to remove the front cover and check the caulking above the window and rain gutter for any breaks. I'll let you know.

Randy