Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2003, 03:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Post Window Latch Assembly (window locks)

Read on another thread today that the Latches that many of us have (two of, on side and rear windows) cost 35-40 dollars to replace (each).

Decided to keep mine up as best I can.
Thought a thread to gather all known info on said latch might help many now and in future.
So lets try to garner a little bit of history/data etc. on the little blue-blooded buggers.

In my 1974 AS Service Manual they are simply called "latch assembly" #1002-01.

It would be good to know:
>Which years used this or a reasonably similar style latch/lock ?
>How many different variations are there?

>Who made them and are they still in business?

>What usually fails or goes bad or breaks on these things ?
Corrosion beyond recover, thread stripping, breaking the pot metal parts, etc?

>Are all replacements OEM ?
>Were aftermarkets ever made?

>Is there anything repairable on them and are repair parts available ? Maybe general hardware stuff?

>Can broken pot metal (aluminum I guess) be reattached to itself sucessfully ?

>Are there any suitable substitutes out there?
>Maybe something used on SOB?
I have seen similar operating locks somewhere in the Commercial Hardware / Construction world. Possibly on some type of casement window or transom. Not sure how to research that unfortunatly or whether any would be adaptable.

If I ever become camera ready & able I will add a few pix from different angles to this thread/post of this part. Hopefully some kind soul will beat me to it.
Would also be great to have a exploded mechanical drawing of the latch , but no such in my 74 manual.

Answers to the above should cover all I will ever need to know about this part.

$&V
Sue&Von is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
here is one of the new ones, all of mine failed in the square piece of pot metal, two by forced entry one probably due to corrosion and a heavy handed PO as well as lack of maintenance

I know of no way to effectively repair pot metal, believe me I have tried over the years restoring a multitude of vehicles

Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	latch assy.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	4103  
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:11 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Now to answer the questions

They started using them with the full frame windows believe in 68 or 69 don't know when they stopped, or if they did stop?

The only things on them available as misc hardware would be the nuts and the roll pin, that holds the handle on.
No aftermarket suppliers that I am aware of, and I believe it to be an AS exclusive. I have never seen anything else like it. Are there other things that will work? Yes, I saw one unit where the windows were held shut with duct tape, another they had run sheet metal screws thru the frame, if you wanted the window open you took the screws out

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 12:59 PM   #4

I have two styles in my 1969 Overlander. I have one set of the style that you show in the picture on the front streetside window. All other windows have a similar latch mechanism, but the handle is more square rather than rounded.

Inland RV has this part on sale for $29.95 through December 31, 2003 (regularly $42.95). Check out part number 19200 at the following URL http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/

I'm going to order a couple just to have them on hand for future needs.

John Pappa
jrpappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow A critical part

Stumbled onto this old thread.
Good questions in first post. Only partially answered, but I too doubt there is any way to satisfactorily "re-glue" pot metal.

Like window glass and doors & door lock these little "gold bricks" are essential when needed. Guess that's why they command a king's ransom.

jrpappa (apparently a long-inactive member) mentions he has two versions of the latch. Do any of you have pictures of another version of this latch?
Were there more than two versions?
Are the various versions interchangeable?

Are there rights & lefts or are they same for both?

Were these latches made by the window manufacturer? Was that Hehr?
Is Hehr still existant?

Has anyone come up with an alternative for latching where this type of latch originally would be used? Any "jury-rigs" (or is it jerry-rig) for temporary window locking?

There have been numerous awning ond casement window latches produced thru the years in the commercial & residential hardware markets, but I am not recalling one that would be easily adaptable to this configuration.
$32 dollars a pair I could "painfully" see, but $32 dollars a piece makes one seek improvisation IMHO.

There are 16 of these in my trailer. Of course the odds of needing more than a couple are slim. thankfully.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
I had that same latch on my 73,79 and 90 trailers. They can get very hard to move over time but after spraying wilh silicone they free right up and work like they have ball bearings. Chatlie E.
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Window lock 1968 Trade Wind

My contribution to the thread is this Phillips window mechanism. According to Inland RV Andy, this mechanism is not made anymore. It must be found from parts rescuers online. I'm looking for one, myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phillips 1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	59733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phillips 2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	59734  

1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Anne is that pic of a good one or your bad one? Is that complete? What's the hole for? and does it stay with the window or the jamb (frame)?
I see the crank but I am trying to figure out just how this device works. I have never seen such a latch/lock/widget.

Would be nice to know (for archival reference) what years & models it was used on in addition to your 1968.
Also wonder if it ever had an Airstream Part # assigned? and what that # was?
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer
Anne is that pic of a good one or your bad one? Is that complete? What's the hole for? and does it stay with the window or the jamb (frame)?
I see the crank but I am trying to figure out just how this device works. I have never seen such a latch/lock/widget.

Would be nice to know (for archival reference) what years & models it was used on in addition to your 1968.
Also wonder if it ever had an Airstream Part # assigned? and what that # was?
That window latch was used in 1966, 67 and 68 trailers.

It was not a very good design.

Parts have not been available for them for about 20 or more years.

We have the clips, the barrel nut and the handles.

The spring steel part that would crank out, can be made with new tooling, that costs over $20,000.

To recover that cost, that part would have to sell for HUGE BUCKS.

Then the question would be, how many could you sell at about $100.00 bucks a piece.

Then the next question would be "who wants to make an investment" in a part that at that price, you would never sell.

We have the original part number, but it serves no useful purpose.

When we bought all the pre 69 parts from Airstream some 20 years ago, the part that reached out, was already history.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Andy, Is there any type of replacement part for this latch mechanism? It will be a real downer for those who own these 3 model years if new glass is available but no way to latch the windows closed. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
here is one of the new ones, all of mine failed in the square piece of pot metal, two by forced entry one probably due to corrosion and a heavy handed PO as well as lack of maintenance

I know of no way to effectively repair pot metal, believe me I have tried over the years restoring a multitude of vehicles

Aaron
I have successfully used an older version of Alumaweld to repair broken pot metal and other difficult to handle metals. The new version would be worth a try. Propane torch and wire brush is all that is needed.

HTS-2000 Second Generation Fluxless Brazing Rod - AluminumRepair.com
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:00 AM   #12
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
1968 Trade Wind Window mechanics

The previous post had the working locks with the metal piece, or lock, that extends by turning the crank;
connects with a "clip" on the window glass metal surround, pulls the window snug against the frame;
lets the window loose to be opened more fully with another crank to a gear that extends the opening.

I just got some clips for the window. That's the back window, it had three locks, the center one is missing. I'd feel a lot better about putting the new window glass if the center lock is in place.

The hole you see is the void needed in the mechanism, when retracting the metal "tongue" that snugs the window closed.

To be without the lock looks like this image in my photos: http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...i=18742&c=3323

There is a hole in the frame, for sure, when the lock is missing.

I understand the high cost of machining a new lock for just a few. Next question is to find a suitable existing substitute.

Anne
Old 05-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Andy, Is there any type of replacement part for this latch mechanism? It will be a real downer for those who own these 3 model years if new glass is available but no way to latch the windows closed. Ed
I have toyed with several different substitutes, but none so far have proven to be practical.

Cheap yes.

Practical, no.

Andy
Old 05-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #14
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
1968 Trade Wind Window Clips

This photo shows two sizes of window clips. As noted on other posts, the mechanism is no longer available, but these clips are available from Vintage Trailer Supply.

On the left is the size used with the original windows. The inside measurement looks to be about 1/4".

The center is on a newer window now on the rear window, 1/8" inside measurement.

On the right is the new clip from VTS, 1/8" for the new replacement windows.

I also ordered the trim for the window, but it also measures 1/8", so the new clip will not fit over the trim. I don't like the idea of chopping the trim into pieces to fit in line with the clips. I would rather have the clip slip over the trim as with the original windows. I'll be checking tomorrow with VTS about a larger size for the clip.

The new window glass looks good. Now for a new plastic rock guard for the front... Someone suggested aluminum, not a bad idea.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #15
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Lock and Extend Window Cranks 68 Trade Wind

This photo shows the two mechanisms for the 68 Trade Wind windows. The lower crank is one of the two (should be three, but the middle one is missing) used to unlock the window. Midway up the frame is the crank for extending the window opening.

It's kind of a both/and system, crank the bottom ones out until the clips are released by the metal tongue of the crank system, then extend the opening wider using the crank on the side of the frame.

The trouble with the side frame crank is that the little bar with the metal teeth is bad about breaking off. I have a broken piece I keep around until I find out how to reattach it, or find a replacement (good luck, right?). It's not difficult to re-engage the remaining piece into the gear.

For a cross-wind situation, it's nice to crank the bottom locks out just as far as possible while keeping the clip engaged, then roll a little tension out -- a very little bit of tension -- with the side frame crank. This can be just right for a little breeze in cool weather. If I had a Fantastic Vent going, it might make air conditioning unnecessary except in deepest July and August heat.

One more thing. This photo also shows the plastic replacement window currently installed. The trim around the window is chopped up to fit in line with the window clip. The glue or silicone used to stick the trim to the plastic is failing. This has to go.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne
This photo shows two sizes of window clips. As noted on other posts, the mechanism is no longer available, but these clips are available from Vintage Trailer Supply.

On the left is the size used with the original windows. The inside measurement looks to be about 1/4".

The center is on a newer window now on the rear window, 1/8" inside measurement.

On the right is the new clip from VTS, 1/8" for the new replacement windows.

I also ordered the trim for the window, but it also measures 1/8", so the new clip will not fit over the trim. I don't like the idea of chopping the trim into pieces to fit in line with the clips. I would rather have the clip slip over the trim as with the original windows. I'll be checking tomorrow with VTS about a larger size for the clip.

The new window glass looks good. Now for a new plastic rock guard for the front... Someone suggested aluminum, not a bad idea.
Our window clips are universal.

They will work with just the glass, if you bend the clip or use a shim, like cork or double sided tape.

They will also fit over the stainless molding that was used.

Andy
Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne View Post
My contribution to the thread is this Phillips window mechanism. According to Inland RV Andy, this mechanism is not made anymore. It must be found from parts rescuers online. I'm looking for one, myself.
Anne, Are you still needing the window latch assembly? I may know where you can get one or two! Let me know... Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
There are some one ebay right now too.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote