Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

window gap

Is there anyway to adjust the side curved windows on a 66 globetrotter. the PO packed the window with silicone and I have removed all of it and reinstalled the window. there is a small gap on the sides about a 1/8 inch along the lower sides. any suggestions of how to get this gap smaller I think it will leak.
nbka1bm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbka1bm
Is there anyway to adjust the side curved windows on a 66 globetrotter. the PO packed the window with silicone and I have removed all of it and reinstalled the window. there is a small gap on the sides about a 1/8 inch along the lower sides. any suggestions of how to get this gap smaller I think it will leak.
Part of the problem is the gasket.

We did some research to find a better gasket than the double lipped gasket that Airstream has used for years.

We came up with a hollow "D" shaped gasket that does in all respects a superior job over the original type gasket.

Many owners today, are replacing all the double lipped gasket on the windows and doors with the "D" gasket.

Feedback so far, has been all positive.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
window gaskets

This fall I redid all my door and window gaskets on our 69 and used at Inland's suggestion the "D" material and it did an excellent job on the various areas including the windows that previously had some gaps. Its a few cents more a foot but worth it.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
I have a 1968 Tradewind. Half of the window glass is the original Corning glass windows, everything seals great.

The other half of the windows are Lexan replacements. The Lexan windows are thinner than the orginial Corning glass.

Most of the Lexan replacements leak due to a poor seal.

I have not replaced the Lexan windows with "D" seals, but it sounds like a viable correction until I come up with a $300.00 "Kings Ransom" to replace each Laxan window.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
adjusting window seals

I don't know about 66 but on the 70s the tension on how snuggly the window seals can be adjusted on the threaded nipple the latch is mounted on. It's a double nut set up. Adjust the inside nut inward towards the center of the trailer and then snug up the outside nut. It's a trial and error process.

Hey Andy, if your reading this, can that D gasket stuff also be used on the main and compartment doors?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
window gaskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC
I have a 1968 Tradewind. Half of the window glass is the original Corning glass windows, everything seals great.

The other half of the windows are Lexan replacements. The Lexan windows are thinner than the orginial Corning glass.

I have not replaced the Lexan windows with "D" seals, but it sounds like a viable correction until I come up with a $300.00 "Kings Ransom" to replace each Laxan window.
There are 2 different gaskets on the windows: the gasket that holds the glass in the frame (the moving frame) and the gasket which seals the window panel against the window frame (the stationary frame) when the window is closed. (Correct me if I'm wrong somebody) But the gasket which holds and seals the window in the frame is a U gasket. The D gasket described above sounds to me like it seals the window against the frame (jamb) when closed. From your description it sounds like the U gasket, or lack of, that holds the window in the frame (moving frame) is leaking because the PO did not do the job right.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
d gasket

well Andy is definately more an expert (a major understatement) but I purchased it from Inland and the lady I spoke with suggested it for that as well, and it worked well for all the compartment and main door as well. Great seal, and yes on our 69 the tension can be adjusted though ours was great as it was.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:57 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Thanks! to all. Andy what is the part number for the D gasket. and how many feet do you suggest for all 6 windows, 3 large and 3 small
nbka1bm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
I don't know about 66 but on the 70s the tension on how snuggly the window seals can be adjusted on the threaded nipple the latch is mounted on. It's a double nut set up. Adjust the inside nut inward towards the center of the trailer and then snug up the outside nut. It's a trial and error process.

Hey Andy, if your reading this, can that D gasket stuff also be used on the main and compartment doors?

The small "D" gasket can be used on main doors from 1973 and older, and on access compartment doors from 1972 and older.

It can be used on windows from 2008, and older.

Andy
Old 11-22-2007, 07:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbka1bm
Thanks! to all. Andy what is the part number for the D gasket. and how many feet do you suggest for all 6 windows, 3 large and 3 small
The year trailer dictates how many feet per window.

What is the year of your Airstream?

Andy
Old 11-22-2007, 07:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
There are 2 different gaskets on the windows: the gasket that holds the glass in the frame (the moving frame) and the gasket which seals the window panel against the window frame (the stationary frame) when the window is closed. (Correct me if I'm wrong somebody) But the gasket which holds and seals the window in the frame is a U gasket. The D gasket described above sounds to me like it seals the window against the frame (jamb) when closed. From your description it sounds like the U gasket, or lack of, that holds the window in the frame (moving frame) is leaking because the PO did not do the job right.

The "D" gasket is on the back side of the window sash, (the metal frame around the glass), or on the window frame that's riveted to the shell.

The year trailer dictates where the gasket is used.

The "U" shaped gray gasket is used between the sash and the glass from 1969 and up.

Andy
Old 11-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithC

Lexan windows for 66-68 are a fraction of your $300.00 quote.

To replace the glass that is held in place with a sash, could cost that much, since taking apart and putting the old sash back together again, it a real trick and a half.

It's really cheaper to replace the window, considering all factors.

Once and old sash is taken apart, it is seldon if every, as good as new, since the joiner metal plates are steel and usually very corroded.

Steel withing aluminum, in time, will severely corrode.

Andy