Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2015, 08:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Window Frame Pitting

We are replacing the gaskets on our '66 Safari windows and cleaning/polishing the window frames in the process. We have tried to remove the pitting on the frames and are having no luck in many areas. Following forum and google suggestions, we have tried sand paper, wet sandpaper, nylon bristle brush, tilex, brillo pads, Scotchbrite, G6 compound and 0000 Steel wool.
Is it realistic to remove all the pitting? If so, what can we try next? If not, do we paint over with aluminum paint or just leave it as a "beauty mark"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window pitting.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	494.3 KB
ID:	239374  
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Providence , Utah
Opting for "beauty marks"

Hi Bubba,
I know it has been a while since you posted this question so am sure you are on to other things. In our '57 Flying Cloud, we are opting to leave some beauty marks. We have tried all of the options you mentioned, plus I went at it with a metal brush on a drill. Even that does not remove all of the corrosion. It seems that the amount of metal you would have to remove to get at all of the corrosion is not advisable. What did you do in the end? What have you done with your Flying Cloud? I am curious if you found a different solution.
Airspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Airspry, on the 66 we ended up cleaning and hand polishing the best we could. Like you mentioned, we also opted to leave some beauty marks. We’ve been traveling in the 66 for a few years and haven’t even thought about the window frames. At least not until now. Ha. On the 55 I ended up getting a bench grinder and placed a sewn wheel on it. I use Caswell bars. Does a pretty good job. Just have to be careful with the rotation. Got the idea from Matt on the Double Nickel Project. Bubba
Old 06-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Providence , Utah
Bubba,

Thank you for your reply. I had not heard of Caswell bars. I wish we had known about them when I started the windows! This is a continuous learning process.

Also, thank you for doing such a good job of documenting your progress. It is helpful as we plot our next steps.
Airspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airspry View Post
Bubba,

Thank you for your reply. I had not heard of Caswell bars. I wish we had known about them when I started the windows! This is a continuous learning process.

Also, thank you for doing such a good job of documenting your progress. It is helpful as we plot our next steps.
Thanks for the kind words. A renovation gives us the opportunity to learn something new every day. Good luck, Bubba