Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

WAAAAAAAAHHH!!!...my windows broke!!!

Just went out to find my precious, original curved Corninng front wing windows both shattered.

Glass is outside indicating they were not broken but rather broke out. After I stopped crying (well, i felt like crying), I immediately phoned Inland RV and found that they can get me glass replacements for $343.00 each.

While the cost is one thing, I'm reluctant to replace them with glass for fear of the same thing happening again.

Speaking of which, I have heard of these windows blowing out while towing... but for both of them to blow out while parked... in cool but not cold weather?

Does anyone make a Lexan replacement for these? I also heard the modern tempered glass is considerably stronger than the old stuff. Any opinions?? Should I just replace them with the factory glass?

I appreciate any help.

Ken
TroutStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Some event happened to cause this.
When you figure out what it was, and prevent it from happening again, go with glass.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:04 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I have no help to give you, but my heart goes out to you! What an awful discovery! I can't imagine why they would just burst while sitting still. All the cases I've heard of Corning windows shattering happened while the trailer was moving, and so attributed to flex. But if the trailer wasn't flexing, and it wasn't bitter cold outside, I can't imagine why they would shatter.

I agree that a Lexan replacement might be a good idea, if it's available.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Man that is a real bummer! What happened? Any clues as to why they blew out?
My 76 Argosy has a plexiglass replacement, it looks pretty sad with the UV clouding.........

There must be a place that parts out old units? Good luck
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sorry to hear about your windows...

You don't say what year your trailer is, but I am going to assume 1966-68 based on the Corning windows. If so, you may want to check out Vintage Trailer Supply (formerly AirstreamDreams) and this old thread: Glass Replacement for Corning

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
So sorry to hear about your wing windows - we know exactly how you feel. This past year we lost one of our wing windows and the main square window - both are replaced now with lexan - the bit square one will eventually be replaced again with tempered glass - but we were on holidays and working with lexan was a little easier. Plus we do not have a stone guard yet so we did not want to go through another break.

Our wing window is not replaceable - 69's have square bottoms not round -so we will have to settle with lexan - but you can not tell the difference unless you look for the logo or tap it.

Okay so here are a few questions.

What year do you have - sounds like a 69-71 as you mention "wing windows" which the 68's and earlier do not have. Also since you mention corning - I do know that 69's and some 70's still had the corning glass.

Be sure to find out from Andy if he is replacing with glass or Lexan???

Peter just replaced his wing window and if you are handy and can drill out rivets - it is not a bad DIY project. Be careful on the grey piping seal - apparently Airstream does not sell this - but Peter had no problem taking the old glass out without destroying the seal material. We have pictures if you would like me to send them of his replacement.

Rivets and Lexan was a lot less than $343.00

Extreme heat or cold - to include a rapid drop or increase either way has been known to spontaneously shatter tempered glass.

Good luck with your replacements.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Ken -- I don't see anything on your ID indicating location or type of trailer. Do I remember tho .... is it West? Izzat a steelhead in your User ID?

I'm too scattered to say exactly -- but the curved side windows are Cornings, so what does that make the front curved windows? Certain vintages had the smaller front wing windows. The biggest heartbreaker would be the full panoramic Argosy-type windows available on Airstreams since the early 80s and it looks you are getting much sympathy from that group. Even with bad junctions between floor and C-channel like so many of us have experienced, the shells are so stiff that I could never imagine this happening. And why both at once? ???? Overlander64 (Kevin Allen) may have said here a couple weeks ago that only tinted curved windows are available from Airstream now...

On the Forums, somebody in Fla severely parted out an old Argosy a couple months back and released the shell for free to whoever would haul it away. I almost remember him getting a question about what windows were left. But that's history. This is a heartbreak -- and just one more big job plopped in your lap. Sorry!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
It seems that Lexan is the way to go on this....$343 is just way too much money for a piece of glass, no matter how "rare" it supposedly is. If the cheaper route is just as good (and in this case I would say Lexan is better), then use it.....when my time comes, I know I will.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

In my despair I forgot to mention that I have a 1970 Overlander.

It seems kind of ridiculous but i took pride in the fact that those windows survived for 35 years. I have always found them to more than glass but pieces of functional art in their design.

I have since talked to an auto glass guy who suggested a coated Lexan called 'Mar-Guard', that is much less susceptible to scratches. He said it's what they use on the front windshield on trains that ply the Rockies.

For me the 343.00 at InlandRV would be more like $500.00 per after shipping and duties to Canada. Right now I'm leaning toward the Lexan.

Thanks for the advice and condolences.

BTW, this fish in my profile is a Chinook Salmon, caught on the fly on the Campbell River on northern Vancouver Island. They are hell to land on the fly and typically you hook 40 to land 1. They lose their silver sheen once they've been in the river for a bit.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:34 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

These are the wing windows I lost by the way.

Still can't figure out what happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP01820.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	16343  
Old 11-15-2005, 06:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Here's a bookmark

although short, it gives you an idea of what to do.
http://www.ldservice.com/tim/airstream/wrap_windows.htm

I believe user Tim W is your man to PM to find out more about what he did.
Good luck!

I'd also check to see if you might have some chassis rust? It seems like there must be some compression on the frames of your windows to cause them to shatter. OR... was there extreme sun shining that day, causing expansion of the glass? Too strange and scary (to this Argosy owner!)

Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Question

Marc -- TroutStream is from Vancouver, B.C. area -- neither hot nor frigid!! What the heck could cause them to blow out?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
I'd also check to see if you might have some chassis rust? It seems like there must be some compression on the frames of your windows to cause them to shatter. OR... was there extreme sun shining that day, causing expansion of the glass? Too strange and scary (to this Argosy owner!)

Marc
My thoughts as an explanation are along the same lines. Am I correct to think these windows are glued in and have no mechanical attachment?

My guess is the temp dropped and the cold caused them to fall out due to the adhesive drying out with age. They actually shattered when they hit the ground not shattered and fell to the ground.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:06 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

The windows definitely broke in place.

I removed all the loose glass and pulled out the rubber gasket (which was not dry or cracked, actually quite pliable) before taping plastic over the windows.

I'm going to take a closer look inside thursday for evidence of vandalism (more glass on the inside or the obvious... a rock on the floor).

We had nothing even close to an extreme temp change. Southern Vancouver Island has same weather as Seattle. Windows were facing north so no direct sun.

Wierd for sure.

Ken.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

I may be able to get my hands on a used pair over the winter for less $$$ let me know.
I also may be able to get some argosy front glass as well so pm me if you need some and I will see what I can do.
Neither will be cheap so tell me what you need and how much you will pay if excellent condition.

It may be a month or two till I have the time to go get.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Just a thought but have you called your insurance carrier?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #17
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I have a theory on this...Glad you asked

Somebody start the X-files theme song now……I wonder if warping/bending in the U-channel around the A-frame connection has something to do with this. Look at picture one. The U-channel is bent upwards toward the outside of the trailer. In other words, the area of the U-channel between the large bolts that hold the shell to the fame in the front between the A-frame sections seems straight and normal. Going outward from there, on both the roadside and curbside, the U-channel is bent upwards.

Directly above these bends are the windows in question. As you may be able to see in picture two, the welds in the curved windows and the rectangular center windows are failing.

My trailer suffers from the dreaded “green slime” disease between the wing windows. This is obviously caused by the seal between the panes failing. Did the seal fail because of the welds failing? Likely.

The welds could fail because of the upward lift on the U-channel pushing the outer shell a bit out of kilter.

I know what you’re thinking, the frame/shell/everything else is made to flex. But in this instance, there is an actual permanent change (in the shell) in the structure around the A-frame area. The A-frame to I-beam welded area in the front of the trailer is probably the “stiffest” area on the frame. What caused the U-channel to bend? I don’t know. It probably has to do with the inability of the frame to bend here, coupled with the lack of proper shielding from rain/water which causes the floor to rot. The swelling of the wood may have something to do with it. The fact that the area inside the A-frame is not bent, but the area outside the A-frame where there is relative weakness in the aluminum is a probable cause. Meaning that no or relatively little steal causes too much flexing in the aluminum, causing the window frames to be unstable, causing leaks between the window panes, possibly causing the glass to shatter after just the right amount of wear/bending.

Whadda y’all think?

Picture one is if the curbside, picture two is of the roadside. I tried to get pictures from the same side, but the camera wouldn't cooperate. The frame and the windows look virtually the same (damge-wise) on both sides of the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Radius bend 1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	16424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front radius bend 6.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	16425  

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:48 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Chaplain Kent

Yeah, I'll talk to my insurance co but i won't hold my breath.

Jim & Susan,

You lost me along the way there somewhere. You have to remember, the trailer was stationary and had been that way for 2 months and there was no extreme change of any sort.

I will be taking a closer look tommorrow. I'll keep you posted on the investigation.

I did talk to the guys from Vintage Trailer who recommended Griffith RV in Oklahoma for possibly some pre-cut Lexan ones.

Ken
Old 11-16-2005, 10:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
If I get around to parting out a '66 GT anytime soon, would those windows be of any help?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
never mind; it doesn't have the wing windows, on second glance. a year too early?