Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vista Vue Windows

1976 25'
I read the other threads.
I first thought this one had a clip.
It looks like I have to break out the Vista Vue windows, but has anyone tried to slice the grey seal and extract the inner glass?
Two other things have been nagging me.
1. Is Pergo solid wood or composite?
I have compared it to Bruce flooring which is real wood.
2. My door is on backwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-018S.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	8791   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-019S.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	8792  

Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
1976 25'
It looks like I have to break out the Vista Vue windows, but has anyone tried to slice the grey seal and extract the inner glass?
Gotta break the pane, been there done that and it is the only way or you can buy a new single glazed unit from the factory for about $240 each.

Is that a Caravanner? Believe they had the doors hinged on the front side because of the lay out.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:09 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Smile

I have a 31 footer and the vista views were a mess. Took the advice of other members and broke all five inside panes. I would not slice the grey seal as it appears to connect the outside-inside as one piece. The hardest part is breaking the first one. Now just follow the instructions on the other threads. Sorry I can't direct you to them but I'm rather new to these forums and can't navagate very well yet. Good luck and be carefull as they say if you break out the outside one it can be expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
1976 25'
Bluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You're right it is on backwards. Most if not all snap together flooring is a composite. This gives is stability and keeps it flat. Real wood may be a problem but I think some have done that. Most go with the pergo style. There are differences in the layers and the final finish. ifloors.com has it all and you can order samples. May take forever to get the flooring.

I don't know why you have to break the window you don't say, moisture? Cann't you drill some holes in the inside glass?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:00 AM   #5
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Vista Vue Windows

Check with PizzaChop. He has taken the inside window out without breaking it.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Wow, your door is on backwards - must have been built on a Monday after the Christmas party
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:24 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
Vista View
Since you mention breaking the glass I asume that you have the also common moisture inbetween the panes . There is no option other than breaking the inner pane or replacing the entire window. Breaking the glass is not as bad as it at first seems, I know, been there done that. Don't cut the rubber seal, it is part of both panes. The outer pane will have to be resealed from the outside. I used 1/2" Backer Rod(any Hardware store or home center)on the inside to apply pressure to the outer pane.

There are two types of laminated flooring
The floating type; Pergo, Armstrong, and others. These floors are of a composite with a fake wood or other photo type finish. Very durable, snap or glue together. One has to use some type of molding (shoe) to hold the floor down. This flooring can not get resurfaced.
The other laminate flooring has a plywood backer and is of the glue or nail down type, simular to conventional hardwood flooring. This is a real wood veneer that is 1/8" to 1/4" thick . Since it is real wood it can and will fade,dent and scratch. Resurfacing, refinishing and touchups are an option.
Since a Camper experiences a lot of flex during towing, most tend to use the floating. I opted for the other since it was more economical (free) glued and stapled it. After 2000 miles i have not experienced any cracking or buckeling of the floor. The finish has held up well and i will screet and recoate the floor next year. I was able lay the floor right up to all buildins and did not have to use any moldings.

The choice is yours, there are many other flooring options besides wood.
Happy streaming.
Felix
Holzarbeiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 01:20 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
I DID cut the grey seal. In my opinion, you need to cut it and remove it to "fix" the window compleletely when removing the inner pane. Once the inner pane it out, the grey seal doesn't serve much purpose and it will look better removed. Also, if there is condensation between the panes, the grey seal is obviously not sealing on the outside to begin with.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:15 PM   #9
Craftsman

Just did the Vista view's in the Sovereign. What a job! I broke the inner pane with a spring loaded punch(the easy part) and then picked all the shards of glass out with a screw driver and needle nose pliers. The seal between the inner and outer panes in the 76 is a thick and increadibly stickey bead of grey caulk of some kind. That's the hard part, getting the caulk and the small pieces of glass trapped between the caul and inner trim out, They clean up really nicely. All that I need now is to find something to trim them out with.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
My floor is a composite with real cork surface and sealed. We liked it so much we put it in the kitchen and it is holding up very well. Comes in 1x3 foot panels which snap together and the whole thing floats. In the Caravel I used 1.5" wall board type screws around the edges under the builtins to keep it in place. Works good.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:13 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The door on your coach is not installed wrong, it is not the normal orientation, but it is a stand installation for a caravanner. The caravanner has the two large windows on curb side, if the door opened back against the side of the coach you would lose the ability to have airflow through one of the window. Most caravanners were used on many long trips where there was not power or water hookups. Airflow to keep cool was of paramount importance.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote