Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2004, 08:49 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Vista Views...comment and question...

OK. I took the plunge yesterday and broke out all three inner panes of my vista-views. This is no doubt one of the best things I have ever done on this trailer! What an improvement over the cloudy, condensation filled vista-views. I definitely recommend using a center punch. I tried using a screwdriver and hammer, but stopped after a few hits, because you definitely don't have much control. The center punch (bought from Home Depot) took about 10 "hits" before it would crack the window, but very effective and no risk of breaking the outside pane.

Now for the question. Now that I have the inner panes out, I'm wondering what is holding the outer pane in place. Is it simply the grey super gooey stuff in the middle (which I did not remove), or is the outer window in some type of frame? I'm trying to figure out if I why I would want to remove the gray goo, rather than simply pressing it down into the opening and topping it off with new caulking and glazing.

Any comments, please??
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 09:10 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weirton , West Virginia
Craig,
Recently I did the same thing to my Vist-a-view windows. I used a utility knife and cut the grey gasket close to the window glass, cleaned the track then pushed the outer pane inward using a putty knife to loosen the glass from any exterior sealer. Next I cleaned the track on the outside (kept the grey gasket, cleaned and replaced) I used Professional Grade Seamer Mate made by Amerimax, bought it at Lowes. After 24 hours you can clean the mess from the glass with a glass scraper. Mine turned out great. You may find the gray gasket will shrink a little and not be able to get a good fit when you reinstall it, I cut it on the bottom edge and used a dab of Seam Sealer to seal it as well. On the inside, I used vacumm hose from the local auto store to take up the space of the Missing interior pane. Also used Seam Sealer on the inside before installing the hose. Take your time, makes a much better looking window and does not LEAK. I don't think we lose much R Value by going to single pane windows in this area.
Ray
wannabefulltime'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 10:59 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Ray did you Break the inner glass intentionally?

I am of the understanding that on the 74's there is a retainer "ring" that can be removed and the inner pane then is (supposedly) fairly easily removable. I have what I think are the "rings" on my 74, have not gotten around to repair that item yet.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
jaco,
1974 was the change over year for the vista views. Early model 74's had the ring retained. Later same year models had the glass interior panel.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 12:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weirton , West Virginia
jaco,

In my '74, I have 3 windows with the retainer ring and plexi-glass inner pane and 5 of the thermo-PAIN. Yes, I had to break the 5 and repair as per my previous post. I will attach a before and after photo.
Ray

This is the after photo from the inside showing the hose installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	5223  
Old 03-14-2004, 12:24 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weirton , West Virginia
and the before.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	5224  
Old 03-15-2004, 07:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Look what I did Today!!!

Wow, I thought about what to do with the vista views all weekend. Was so happy to see this thread. I ran to Home Depot, bought the center punch, and voila!!! I pretty, clean, and clear vista view. So happy with the results!!!

Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vista view 2.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	5241  
Old 03-15-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
THe first crack

Sorry, the first pic was just before I hit it with the center punch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vista view.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	5242  
Old 03-15-2004, 07:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Pulling out the pieces, look at how nasty that window was!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vista 3.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	5243  
Old 03-15-2004, 07:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
and the end.

All cleaned up. now I just need to read on about what to do next LOL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vista 4.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	5244  
Old 05-11-2004, 06:31 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Ron & Tony,

How did you end up finishing up your vista views after you broke out the inner pane?? I still haven't finished mine up yet and I'm looking for ideas...

Thanks!

Craig
Old 05-15-2004, 11:35 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Inner pane on a 69 LY?

Hi!

I am a bit confused about all the talk about inner panes. I have a 69 LY (and I am new to airstreams) and I don't see what is meant by inner panes. Is this something only applicable to over 1970's models? I have to replace (somehow) a broken left front-side vista window and can use all the advice I can get!
jardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:13 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

First timer on forums We have just bought a 1976 land yatch in v/g condition with the exception of the vista view windows which have (it seems) the common problem of cloudy condensation and two with water collected in them. I am loathed to breaking out the inner glass pane. Is there a way to take them out, open them up for cleaning and resealing them? We have the service manual to help with the removal but would like to hear from anyone who has taken on this job. Thanks
Bluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:02 AM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegirl
First timer on forums We have just bought a 1976 land yatch in v/g condition with the exception of the vista view windows which have (it seems) the common problem of cloudy condensation and two with water collected in them. I am loathed to breaking out the inner glass pane. Is there a way to take them out, open them up for cleaning and resealing them? We have the service manual to help with the removal but would like to hear from anyone who has taken on this job. Thanks
Bluegirl,
It is my understanding and observation that the dual pane(pain ) vista view windows are a sealed unit, 1975 and later, the frame is welded together. I know of no easy way or really any way at all to clear them up short of replacement or breaking the inner window. On mine when I broke the inner pane, the outer pane cannot be removed from the frame, it moves within the frame. FWIW I had to buy one replacement unit, it is a single, non tinted glass, permanently mounted in a frame. The cost is around $250 including shipping. This is a brand new window assembly. Haven't gotten around to installing it, yet. Looks like about a half days work to remove the old one, clean up the opening and install the new one using Olympic pop rivets. If you happen to have the interior panels removed you could use the factory style bucked rivets.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 08-01-2004, 01:21 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Welded together. Which designer thought that was a good Idea? So far it looks like breaking the inner window is the only option. Live in Canada and the exchange rate is a killer ($200 becomes $250 to $300). Thanks for the advise it is most appreciated.
Bluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 03:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

I have also looked at this from almost every angle. It truly seems that breaking the glass is the only option. I will be breaking mine out during this week. I sure hop that the inner pane is the only one that I break. Those replacement windows are priced really high.................

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 04:59 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Bluegirl and John G,

Invest in an automatic center punch (can be found at HD) to make breaking out the inner pane easier and not have to worry about breaking the outer pane. Did 5 windows on my trailer (also did the door window and front curved wing window) and all came out great - so far....

Craig
Old 08-01-2004, 07:07 PM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Exclamation Careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Bluegirl and John G,

Invest in an automatic center punch (can be found at HD) to make breaking out the inner pane easier and not have to worry about breaking the outer pane. Did 5 windows on my trailer (also did the door window and front curved wing window) and all came out great - so far....

Craig
Still be careful! that is what I was using and still managed to break the outer window.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 08-01-2004, 09:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Bluegirl and John G,

Craig
If you mean the spring loaded center punch that you just push until it clicks, that is what I have and will use. I am going out there tonight to start on those so I guess I will have a report on that later on.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:57 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG
If you mean the spring loaded center punch that you just push until it clicks, that is what I have and will use. I am going out there tonight to start on those so I guess I will have a report on that later on.
Yes, John. That is what I mean. It took about 10 "hits" before mine acutally broke, but when it did, it went perfect. I also covered the inside pane with clear packaging tape so I could see what was happening, while also preventing any potential glass blowing my way.