Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Pensacola , Florida
Question Vista View window leak

I have a 1975 Sovereign with some wonderful tint cracked mushy looking vista views. My problem is with the upper windows. My question is this: I have read some of the threads talking about the vista view repair and they say to pull the clip to unlock the glass. Do I need to pull the inner skin back? I have looked on my windows and I don't see a clip. I checked down under the part of the metal frame that holds the glass. Is it near where that seam is on the glass frame? The windows themselves when you push them you can see water. What should I do?
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I think a 75 is too new to have clips. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My 75 has no clips. You need to remove the metal ring on the inside of the trailer that holds the inner glass (plastic) in place. The ring has a split in it and you work it down starting at that point. My vistas look bad, but I have not pulled them apart yet. That would be a winter project where I live.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
Yes, the '75 should have the split ring holding the inner pane in.

Starting sometime in '76 or early '77 they switched to sealed units. These can only be repaired by breaking and removing the inner pane of glass.

I have documented the procedure for doing this on my web site: PFREDD.COM

Dave
Old 07-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Pensacola , Florida
Thanks

You guys are great! Thanks very much for the info. I think in the next week I am going to get started on that part of the rebuild. I am thinking that I need to fix that FIRST before putting in a new subfloor because I think that is the problem with the wood rot and it probably has been for the last 10 years or so. The po did at least do some repairing of the floor, he put a thin piece of metal over some of the rotted holes...sounds like I am gonna have some fun with this doesn't it? I might have myself a new moneypit but in the end it will truly be worth it. Thanks again everyone and if I run into some problems doing this be looking for another list of questions....thanks
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Loogootee , Indiana
1972 Vista View

Hello folks. I'm brand new here and this is my first post. I found you all by looking for some info on the fogged Vista View wondows on a 1972 Sovereign that I just bought. I'm going to have a million questions about other things, and I'd appreciate some help evaluating the deal I made, but now I have a specific question about the date differences in the Vista View windows.

I see here that sometime in the mid-1970's a change was made to a sealed unit. And I see some talk about clips vs a split ring. Whic should my 1972 have, and how do I get started taking it out. Also, the inner glass on mine is not glass, but some sort of plexiglass-like plastic. IS that normal or has it already been replaced?

Thanks in advance.
Maxom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums.
the 70's vista views up to and including the 75's had the split ring holding the inner window in place. Take a look at this link to a members site for help on repair.
Window removal

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Loogootee , Indiana
Upper vs Lower

Thanks for the link. Here's another question. The lower Vista View windows look easy to get to and the split ring is easy to access. But the upper ones have a plastic bezel that cover the window edge and goes back under the interior wall surface. Does that bezel come out to access the split ring? If so, how does it come out?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
I am not sure about removing the bezel, but be careful with the upper Vista View glass.

It is not safety glass like the lower Vista Views. So if you happen to break it it will be in a bunch of jagged pieces....
Old 07-07-2008, 06:19 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Loogootee , Indiana
Pfredd, Thanks. I had already visited your project site and learned a lot there. On the glass being non-safety glass, are you refering to the outter glass? On my 72 it feels like the inner glass on both upper and lower are not glass but some plastic. Maybe Lexan or Acrylic.

On another subject, your site shows you changed vents in 2002? Are you still convinced that was a good idea? I have one broken vent and will need to eitehr fix it or replace it, and I like the sound of the vents you used. Would you do it again?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
I was referring to the inner piece. In my '77 they were glass. The lower ones were safety glass (Crumbles into a million little chunck when broken). The upper ones were "normal" glass (breaks into a frew jagged pieces).

It is certainly possible that the inside piece on the older trailers is plastic, but I have no expirence with them so I cant say for sure.

As far as the vents go, I am a very big fan of the Fantastic Vent series of fans. The folks that run the company are really nice as well.

Check the Internet for prices, as you can often find a better deal. However, Camping World seems to have the best every day price on them.

As I mention on my web site, be sure to call the Fantastic Vent folks and ask for the "Airstream Garnish" (Inside trim). They will send them to you for free.

Dave
Old 07-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Loogootee , Indiana
Another window question. Before tackling the Vista Views, I decided to try my hand on one of the larger operable windows on the street side. The inner glass on that one is not glass but plastic, by the way, so it is fairly easy to work with and pretty safe too. My question deals with the removal of the old window gasket. Wow! for a 36 year old weathered, worn out gasket, that thing is tought to get off!. Does anyone know a trick to make that job easier? I need to do all the windows and the door, but at this rate I'll never live long enough to take the rig camping.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
I assume you ,eam the gasket between the window and the frame?

Check out the Airstream Projects section on my web site for detailed instructions on how to replace them.

Dave
Old 08-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
sauk rapids , Minnesota
Thanks to everyone for sharing this information.

I am resealing my Vista View windows right now (upper ones). Does anyone happen to have the U shaped aluminum trim pieces from these Vista View windows? It's the piece of trim which holds the inside glass into the frame. I'm looking for a few sets.
adamrudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Wake Forest , North Carolina
Breaking Tempered Glass

If you find that your inner pane is tempered glass, and not acrylic, you could use an old fire department trick. They are often faced with having to remove a piece of vehicle glass quickly to rescue a person trapped inside a wreck. They keep a roll of shelf paper, the kind with the stick back, in the truck. A piece is cut to fit the window and applied on the inside. Then they use an automatic center punch and "pop" a corner of the glass. Typically the whole window shatters and the shelf paper keeps the little bits of glass from getting on the victim inside the vehicle.

BH
bhpowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, vista view windows