Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2022, 05:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
I have a 2016 FC 27 FB and have never liked the virtually opaque window in the door. At a recent rally, I asked a representative from Airstream Adventures, our NorthWest Airstream dealer, how much it would cost to replace it with a clear window. He estimated the cost at $1,000.

Ridiculous!

I bought a sheet of 1/4 inch Lexan on Amazon for $60, several dozen stainless steel screws for $5, and a tube of black Sikaflex for $5, and went to work.

1. Unscrew screws on interior frame.
2. Drill out rivets on exterior frame.
3. Remove and clean up exterior frame.
4. Remove window from exterior frame (a bitch to do).
5. Use window to make pattern on Lexan.
6. Cut Lexan to size.
7. Install Lexan in exterior frame (a bitch to do).
8. Caulk all around window, inside and outside, on exterior frame.
9. Install exterior frame with new window using substantial caulk between trailer outside wall and inside of frame.
10. Fasten with stainless steel screws.
11. Clean excess caulk around sides of exterior frame (messy).
12. Install interior frame.

Voila --- a clear window, at approx. $70 in materials and several hours of fussing around.

The trailer is parked a foot or so away from an exterior wall, so the attached photos show the clear window but no sparkling landscape.

I have the old, opaque window. If anyone wants it, I will ship it for the cost of shipping. The third photo shows the old, opaque window.
Great idea. I don't like the opaque window either. I understand why they have it there. Did you put up any kind of shade?
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:01 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
We really dislike the window in our 19CB. It is heavily etched which not only prevents one from seeing through it but cuts down on the amount of sunlight coming through. That little Bambi doesn't have as many windows as the larger trailers so getting daylight into the trailer could be improved. More importantly is the security issue. When someone knocks on the door we have no way of knowing if it's the park host or a meth head. If I thought I could get mine changed out for $1,000 I'd probably do it. I doubt that was a realistic quote though because to my knowledge there is no clear curved piece of glass even available. Someone earlier asked about privacy. We are much more concerned about security. As for privacy, if someone wants to look at a couple of 70 somethings in their skivvies they are the one with a problem not us. And if privacy were a concern I'm sure I could find an easy solution.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
We really dislike the window in our 19CB. It is heavily etched which not only prevents one from seeing through it but cuts down on the amount of sunlight coming through. That little Bambi doesn't have as many windows as the larger trailers so getting daylight into the trailer could be improved. More importantly is the security issue. When someone knocks on the door we have no way of knowing if it's the park host or a meth head. If I thought I could get mine changed out for $1,000 I'd probably do it. I doubt that was a realistic quote though because to my knowledge there is no clear curved piece of glass even available. Someone earlier asked about privacy. We are much more concerned about security. As for privacy, if someone wants to look at a couple of 70 somethings in their skivvies they are the one with a problem not us. And if privacy were a concern I'm sure I could find an easy solution.
Just wondering how many times you (or any of the concerned folks who have posted) have had anyone knocking on your door randomly? I did once in Iowa, the neighbor lady giving us tomatoes from her garden (after she saw we were done with lunch in the school yard), and then showing us the ones going to the State Fair next week? Other than that, never had a knock on my door in 19 years? I am trying to get my head around this thread more than a bit.....
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We replaced our obscure glass with transparent glass so we could see out better. Simple as that. As posted above, an imbedded miniblind provides privacy and light control.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 11:55 PM   #25
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
We replaced our obscure glass with transparent glass so we could see out better. Simple as that. As posted above, an imbedded miniblind provides privacy and light control.

Tim
Could you share what kind of glass and who did it for you?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:41 AM   #26
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
If security is the issue, wouldn't something like this be much easier and less expensive to install?

https://www.amazon.com/Rotating-Priv...6D23CO2A0&th=1
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:33 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post

Tim
Tim can you share how you accomplished this. We would really like to make this mod but have not been able to find anyone who will do the work or a source of clear glass. Any details you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Dale

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:55 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
Tim can you share how you accomplished this. We would really like to make this mod but have not been able to find anyone who will do the work or a source of clear glass. Any details you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Could you share what kind of glass and who did it for you?
I gave a local glass shop the shape needed and they provided slightly tinted tempered glass.

Our 2002 has Hehr windows which made the process easier because the glass is easily removed. It also made it easy to sandwich the miniblind between the outside glass and a sheet of polycarbonate on the inside.

I did the work myself.

With the standard Airstream window, I would do something like Rgentum's solution except would use Olympic rivets instead of screws. Nothing wrong with screws, though. Then I would install the shade I posted earlier (https://www.zarcor.com/rv_products/r...-kit/index.php) modifying one of those products if necessary.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:43 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
I have a 2016 FC 27 FB and have never liked the virtually opaque window in the door. At a recent rally, I asked a representative from Airstream Adventures, our NorthWest Airstream dealer, how much it would cost to replace it with a clear window. He estimated the cost at $1,000.

Ridiculous!

I bought a sheet of 1/4 inch Lexan on Amazon for $60, several dozen stainless steel screws for $5, and a tube of black Sikaflex for $5, and went to work.

1. Unscrew screws on interior frame.
2. Drill out rivets on exterior frame.
3. Remove and clean up exterior frame.
4. Remove window from exterior frame (a bitch to do).
5. Use window to make pattern on Lexan.
6. Cut Lexan to size.
7. Install Lexan in exterior frame (a bitch to do).
8. Caulk all around window, inside and outside, on exterior frame.
9. Install exterior frame with new window using substantial caulk between trailer outside wall and inside of frame.
10. Fasten with stainless steel screws.
11. Clean excess caulk around sides of exterior frame (messy).
12. Install interior frame.

Voila --- a clear window, at approx. $70 in materials and several hours of fussing around.

The trailer is parked a foot or so away from an exterior wall, so the attached photos show the clear window but no sparkling landscape.

I have the old, opaque window. If anyone wants it, I will ship it for the cost of shipping. The third photo shows the old, opaque window.

Your parenthetical remarks in comments #4 & #7 support the dealer estimate of $1,000.00. I rarely defend Airstream costs or work, but the evidence you provided leads me to do so in this instance. That said, if one enjoys making improvements to their Airstream it definitely is cost effective to DIY.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
Your parenthetical remarks in comments #4 & #7 support the dealer estimate of $1,000.00. I rarely defend Airstream costs or work, but the evidence you provided leads me to do so in this instance. That said, if one enjoys making improvements to their Airstream it definitely is cost effective to DIY.
I agree, someone just posted $195 an hour from dealer. While that seems really high to me (I haven't gone to dealer for service in a long time), if true $1000 would be reasonable. 4 hours, charging $200 for the window and $20 for rivets and caulk, that's $1000.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 02:25 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Lilburn , Georgia
What was the material used in the original opaque window?
DubleDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:05 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I just went through this with my 2006 25FB. Someone got into the locked, chain link fence with razor wire storage lot and broke into my trailer. Luckily (and I mean this) they just broke out the window on the door and did not jimmy the lock or touch the frame at all. They did steal my 27 inch television and that was really hard to replace. An older trailer like mine does not have the fancy hdmi connections. Try finding small tv that is NOT a monitor.

Anyway, I like the dark glass on the door and it ended up costing my insurance company something like $1200. The tempered glass is expensive and at $180/hour the labor added up. They have to take the door apart as mentioned in the original post and put it all back together. Add to that the difficulty obtaining supplies and this was a real pain. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. When I got out of there this early summer they said there were no more of these replacements in the pipeline. Would take months to get one. I suppose I was lucky.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Thanks for posting this solution, and for all the comments following. When big storms come through with heavy rain and thunder, I feel a bit like I'm in a tin can (oh wait, I am, haha) Have often thought it would be nice to be able to see out that window in the door!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:30 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I just went through this with my 2006 25FB. Someone got into the locked, chain link fence with razor wire storage lot and broke into my trailer. Luckily (and I mean this) they just broke out the window on the door and did not jimmy the lock or touch the frame at all. They did steal my 27 inch television and that was really hard to replace. An older trailer like mine does not have the fancy hdmi connections. Try finding small tv that is NOT a monitor.

Anyway, I like the dark glass on the door and it ended up costing my insurance company something like $1200. The tempered glass is expensive and at $180/hour the labor added up. They have to take the door apart as mentioned in the original post and put it all back together. Add to that the difficulty obtaining supplies and this was a real pain. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. When I got out of there this early summer they said there were no more of these replacements in the pipeline. Would take months to get one. I suppose I was lucky.
Though I have stored my Airstream in similar "high security" lots I am currently storing it in a lot with just a chain link fence. Your account causes me to consider keeping my door unlocked. This was the strategy I often use after car damages from break-ins at hiking trailheads in Washington State and in downtown Georgetown, D.C. The damages are usually far more costly than the item stolen, assuming one doesn't leave laptops and iPhones in their vehicle. The main question is whether insurance will cover interior damages or losses without "evidence" of a break-in. Or might the insurance (USAA in my case) company deny claims if the door is left unlocked? Anyone have experience with this situation?