Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
The Window Curse is Broken!!

We have successfully removed, re-gasket-ed, cleaned and re-installed a window. It's not the front window, but a window nonetheless. I figured out that the best way for us to get the dang panes in and stay in was to put twosided tape on both sides of the windowpane and then the bedding tape layered over that. It stayed. It's clamped. I was close to giving up, now we can get windows put in. Nothing has been this frustrating...we've dealt with power tools and plumbing and electrical and floors and walls and houses and paint and fences and all that in our lives, but never vehicle windows. Sure is a new concept, all this glue that has to dry *before* you stick it on, gasket that looks like it won't seal against water, and windows that are held in with a piece of rubber.

I am feeling motivated again...we don't have all the replacement windows delivered yet, but when we do, they all go in. Then...more floor removal.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and patience with my constant whining about it. What a learning experience this is!!
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
If it wasn't so repetitive, I'd offer congratulations! We are ALL happy for you! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:54 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Goes to show you that there is always light at the end of the tunnel. It's not always the freight trains headlight, though. Sometimes it's the reflection of the sun in a newly installed window on a Baja beach!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Way to go.....Ingrid

I am very happy that you have conquered this milestone! This shall henceforth be know as "Window Installed Day"... in your honor. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks!

I get it!

*chuckle*

Apparently according to eljay my post got posted many more times than the one time I posted it. It's either been fixed or it just doesn't show up on my computer that way, I only saw one.

Well I thought that was an enthusiastic congrats on your part either way, azflycaster, so thanks thanks thanks...

Funny how once you cross a hurdle it's no longer important and all you care about is what you have to do next. Here's to the successful window install:

"i am the greatest!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Pictures Pictures Pictures

Hey, after all this hard work and multiple posts - we need pictures........

Congrats
Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
OK...it's raining now and the window is covered up with plastic, but I'll do it when the sun shines again.

And my new windows arrived, unbroken, I'm sooo happy and ready to get them in!
Old 03-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Stoopid question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
OK...it's raining now and the window is covered up with plastic, but I'll do it when the sun shines again.

And my new windows arrived, unbroken, I'm sooo happy and ready to get them in!
If the new window was successfully installed, why is it covered with plastic?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Because I'm de-rusting and polishing the assembly that pulls on the window clips to get it closed it all the way. I'm doing it on all the hinge assemblies too. The rainy season has been longer than I can remember this season, driving us crazy here. Also, I sprayed the gasket with silicone spray and I want to let it set before I close the window.

I just burned out my second dremel and I think I'm going to get one of those tumbler thingies for small parts that I saw on DIY, if I can't find something to polish small parts that will put up with my abuse. Any ideas or experience with this? The window frames are covered with white rust too, I don't need it to be shiny perfect, but they're pretty dirty. What do y'all use for polishing, but not the outer skin?

ingrid
Old 03-28-2006, 04:57 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Because I'm de-rusting and polishing the assembly that pulls on the window clips to get it closed it all the way. I'm doing it on all the hinge assemblies too. The rainy season has been longer than I can remember this season, driving us crazy here. Also, I sprayed the gasket with silicone spray and I want to let it set before I close the window.

I just burned out my second dremel and I think I'm going to get one of those tumbler thingies for small parts that I saw on DIY, if I can't find something to polish small parts that will put up with my abuse. Any ideas or experience with this? The window frames are covered with white rust too, I don't need it to be shiny perfect, but they're pretty dirty. What do y'all use for polishing, but not the outer skin?

ingrid
Ingrid, if you are talking about the "rock tumbler" I saw a while back, I don't think it would be a good idea. SOS or Brillo pads work well at removing rust, as long as it isn't deeply pitted.
The white rust, as I am sure you know, is aluminum corrosion, so go easy on the areas that have that until you can see they are still sound. Better a corroded piece of aluminum, than a few shiny bits. If it is still good, you can go to your local Ace Hardware (my favorite toy store) and pick up a bottle of Noxon7. It claims to clean and polish many metals, including aluminum. It has done an acceptable job on the skin of our Overlander, and is pretty inexpensive, A 10 oz bottle was $6.99 last time I bought any.
Also, Dremel has a 5 year warranty, so don't toss it out, send it back for a free replacement.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hey! I didn't know that! Thanks! Will do.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Two more windows in!

Two more in, four to go...as soon as we fix the glass bars (clean, straighten out, drill where needed) we're on our way. Clean up the crank assembly and also the window clip pulls, and close the windows. Yahoo!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Two more in, four to go...as soon as we fix the glass bars (clean, straighten out, drill where needed) ...
Photos, photos!!
Old 04-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
pictures!!

Here's one: the window went in right before this rain they say is going to last for TWO WEEKS. I have indoor work I can do though, in the garage.

First one: the window is in but not clamped shut. I did spray the gasket with silicone spray and will spray it again one last time before pulling them shut. Polishing the thingys still. The next one is my window clip which is already rusting; I was too scared to try to pull it off the window and shine it up, I'm probably going to just tape off the windowpane, clean it a little, and spray it with rustproof aluminum paint. I can't risk breaking another window and I don't want to anger the Curved Window Gods. Third one is the bedding tape which is holding it in nicely.

I'm going to take off the excess with a razor knife when the weather is better, but I'm also scared I'll score the window/break it...need to approach the excess rubber from underneath. If I remove it at all. Might just stay satisfied with an installed window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window install 001.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	20104   Click image for larger version

Name:	window install 002.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	20105  

Name:	window install 003.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	20106  
Old 04-03-2006, 12:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
polishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Ingrid, if you are talking about the "rock tumbler" I saw a while back, I don't think it would be a good idea. SOS or Brillo pads work well at removing rust, as long as it isn't deeply pitted.
Did a second look. Not pitted, just...dirty and ugly. For polishing the window pulls, which are stainless steel, I bought a new Dremel that doesn't allow me to turn it up high, just on/off and I'm using this bit.

It's working fine and my iPod is getting a workout. This is much more enjoyable and you've saved me some dough. It's bit #511 and comes with both in the pack.

I use up about one bit per assembly. The brown one works best but for the lighter stuff I use the other one. I just wish I knew a good way to use a drill with a bit to poish the inside of the window frames, they are the ones with the white rust problem. They're in good strong condition however.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	511_lg.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	20107  

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
Old 04-19-2006, 12:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Windows?

Ingrid, How are the window installs coming along? Did it ever stop raining long enough for you to finish with them? I just finished at the nuke plant and am now getting set up to install the rest of my window seals and glass. I'm a bit put out that I still can't get the new window clips. VTS doesn't yet sell them. I sent a note to Steve last night to see if he can give me a date that I can pre-order them. I am wanting to replace all mine with new ones. If I can then someone can have the ones I am removing from the old plexiglas windows. They are rusty/dirty like yours were but will still work. I wish I could make the 4 I bought from Inland tighten up to the new windows...I just don't trust that they will hold to the glass and seal well. I wish they had told me they were designed for framed windows before I ordered them last fall. Let me know how you are doing on your trailer. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 04-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hi BigEd!

We just now had a break from the rain. However, this past week was spring break so we took off for a week in San Diego, and we've got sun here finally.
So I'm ready to get going again.

Unfortunately some gasket came off of one window (no biggie) so I'm going to re-do that one window gasket and the door, I'm ordering from Inland RV (ugh) tomorrow. I'm almost done dremeling off the window assemblies. I rented "Taken" from Netflix, put it in the garage TV, and dremeled away. (I also find movies help with the tedium of folding laundry!!)

My husband is going out of town this weekend so he won't be able to finish drilling holes in the window bars that need it this week, but we're going to get one more window in before he leaves on Thursday, there's one window that can be installed.

Here's what I did re: window clips: I used the dremel to carefully clean off the window clips while still on the windows, I taped them off, and I sprayed them with silver Rustoleum for now. I'm too nervous to try to take them off, they're rusted to the window quite nicely, so I'm leaving them alone. I considered painting them over with POR15 and a coat of Sterling Silver, I have some still from the frame paint job which I will continue this summer. But overall I feel good about the window thing finally! I am going to get inside and clean the interior window frames so they don't look so gross, and then move on to the next phase.

Hope you're well! I am too old for this much fun!!
Old 04-24-2006, 12:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Re: Windows Cursed or cussed!

Ingrid, I still need new window clips! I really don't want to try to put these old ones on the new glass from VTS as the thickness is more at 1/8" than the Corning glass or plexiglas/lexan was. I'm afraid if I try to install the old clips that they will break or worse yet that the window will! I don't want to anger the curved glass gods. I guess I will just be on a hold for clips until Steve has them in stock. I haven't heard back from him yet as he is still closed or out of touch for the rest of the month. Hopefully when he returns he can shed some light on the clip "gap"! Kinda sounds like the missile gap of the old cold war days! LoL! The 4 clips I got from Inland and installed on the two small windows had to be shimmed on the new windows with bedding tape to make them work. I just don't really trust them to stay on the glass as they were designed for the windows with the edge moulding frames. Still, they are on the windows right now while "Landshark" is sitting still in the driveway. I hope to get a good test result from the new style seals I am installing on the window frames.(See the other sub-forum response on Replacement for Corning Glass Posts.) Tommorrow I hope to get the two flat windows installed but a lot depends on the screw removal situation as to how far I get with them. I'll keep you updated on the progress... Ed
Old 05-14-2006, 10:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Happy Mother's Day...

For a present I asked for: the chance to sleep in, chocolate chip pancakes, coffee and the opportunity to read the whole newspaper, and...one more window put into the trailer. I got all of the above! As Elmer Fudd would say, something is kinda scwewy about the glass bar on the window that formerly was plexiglas or something, which we replaced today. Every time hubby tried to screw a new hole in the bar it would get pushed downward at the wrong angle, but it finally worked. The glass bar looks like swiss cheese but the window is in and looks good. That bedding tape is working great. Next: a small window, the front and back, and we're DONE! I would like to clean up the window frames inside the trailer but I'm not sure how to go about it. Aluminum Jelly didn't do the trick, it's structurally sound but in bad shape. I am debating sanding it off with very very fine grit sandpaper or something. Clean with scrub marks would look better than the dirt and white rust that's there now, and besides, it's not the outer shell, it's the inside of the window frames. No one will be looking at it.

Next up: installing window clips and putting closing mechanisms back on. How is your progress going on that, Ed? I might stick my clips on with two sided tape and bedding tape, just like the glass bar.