Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Success with double pane window clean-up

I finally decided to see if the double pane windows, in this case a vista view oblong with tempered glass outside and plexiglas inside, could be cleaned up to remove the decomposed mylar sunguard. I am happy to report that good results can be achieved. It was easier than I thought it would be. Basically, after the window frame has been removed from the trailer by drilling out the rivets, the two frame halves are separated by sliding them in opposite directions. Once this is done, the panes are removed and cleaned. The mylar comes off with a razorblade. The frames are aligned at the seam by four roll pins 1/8 X 3 3/4" which will have probably corroded in tight. Put a little liquid wrench or the like around the seam and let it soak in. To separate the window I put one side in a vise and used a hardwood block and a hammer to drive the opposite member off. After everything is cleaned, rub a little silicone grease onto the gaskets to help them slide in. You should replace the roll pins if they are damaged. The unit was reassembled with hand pressure and taken up tight with a mallet. It's a fair amount of work and requires olymic rivets to reinstall the window, but the window is now a good deal clearer than this description. If I were going to do several I would probably make a jig to separate the frames.
Attached Images

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
I am DYING to put toy fish into my Excella window that is about half full of water!!! That would be too funny!

Thank you for the info, Excella CM! Very nice work, and thanks for posting the pics of your project!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
While it was apart I had a fleeting insanity of making it like one of those novelty pens with floaters. Barely resisted.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote