Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2002, 09:52 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Question Strange nut

I opened the escape window over the weekend and found that one of the latches was just dangling loose. The thin nut on the window latch was split. It may have been overtightened when the trailer was built, or perhaps it was just a defective nut to start with.

I figured I would just get a nut from my workshop or else buy a ten-cent nut at the hardware store and fix it with out a fuss. Wrong!

After searching my shop and 3 big hardware stores, I had to admit failure. The nut looks like something from a light fixture, but it is just a bit bigger than 1/2" and the thread matches nothing I can find.

Metric, maybe? Does A/S use metric parts? Anyway, the A/S dealer searched their shop and also gave up. They ordered a replacement for me. Apparently, they had to order the whole window latch to get the nut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	split_nut.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	706  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 10:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
It looks like a standard jam nut. Is the thread on the part that holds the latch English, it looks like a finer thread like it may also be metric. Maybe AS is beginning to convert.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 12:47 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Looks like a jam nut

That was the problem. It looked just like every other jam nut until I tried to find one to fit. Took it to the dealer and he was just as baffled.

I'm guessing it is some sort of metric fine thread. The pitch doesn't match anything I can find and it is a bit larger than 1/2".
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote