Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok I removed more interior skin this weekend to expose the wing window frames and Zep is right they have a different extrusion and no drain channel like my big fixed window has. I will modify the drawing and post that as well when I get a chance.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok I have since gotten the skins off below the wing windows and the frame is a lot more simple than that on my big fixed window. I think the Vista View and the pop out window frames are very similar to this.

Perry
Old 01-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Nice work, Perry...

And exactly what I have in my trailer. Now for the $10,000 question. Has anyone come up with a source for a replacement gasket for these? If worse comes to worse, I'm sure I could cobble something together, but I'd prefer not reinventing the wheel if someone has already found something. I've done some cursory web crawling and found a few things that were close, but haven't actually done any follow-up. I currently have one out, dismantled, and cleaned up, but I think I'm going to hold off on the other one until I come up with a gasket source. Before someone suggests it, my original gasket is toast, but any other ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dave
daved20319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:03 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It would be possible to have some of this stuff custom made. I would go the route of making some spacers to hold it in the frame correctly and then put a bead of Vulkem on both sides like I did to keep mine from leaking. The original gasket leaks and that is why there is water between the panes now. Vulkem can be redone every 10 yrs or so. The Vulkem will seal it. The window can't come out but it can rattle around unless there is something keeping it in the middle of the frame side to side and something that would keep it shifting up or down. These spacers would need to be made of something soft so it would not damage the window. You can also fill the gaps between the spacers with Vulkem. Personally, I would find a higher modulus (stiffer) caulk to go between the spacers.

Perry
Old 05-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
guyton , Georgia
3 top windows in my 71 as leak around frame any ideas
r.swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Here is a thread that Zep started and some photos of a real frame that Daniel B posted. Daniel's frame looks like the frame on my big fixed window. You can see the rivets holding the two halves together using a steel bar in some of the photos above. You can see this bar sticking out of the frame in one Daniel's photos in the link below.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ml#post1258440

Perry
Old 04-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
On closer inspection it looks like the drain holes in my big fixed window to the right of the door were added to get the water out of the frame. So if you have drain holes at the bottom of fixed windows, they are probably an attempt to drain the frame of water.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
It is AutoDesk Inventor. They also make AutoCAD. I never messed with the Google stuff since I already know how to use this.

My big fixed window has drain holes the rest don't. You can blow in one hole and air comes out the others.

Also see this one for the back side of the extrusion. I believe you will see the drain channel. It is also used to fasten the right and left halves by riveting a piece of metal between the two frames to act like a tenon. Note the steel rivets at the bottom seam.

Perry

Old 05-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So back on the topic of rebuilding the wing windows, I'm in the middle of one myself. Mine had the double panes, and I have disassembled it completely and cleaned the goo out from between the panes. I am tempted to try and put it all back together as originally built, but, as noted above, the vinyl gasket is unobtainium. The double panes had moisture between them, which gives me doubts that my repair job would be any less prone to getting fogged, especially with the 100% humidity here in Houston.

I'm also thinking that since the modern approach is a single pane window, I should just rebuild with the single pane. This introduces the problem of filling that ~3/4" gap with something. I bought a gallon of glazing compound from the big box store thinking I might just goop that in, but am worried that this might result in too rigid a connection between frame and glass and result in breakage. Anyone out there tried a single-pane rebuild?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I expect you could fill it with EDPM rubber gasket material or even fill the void with Trempro-635 if you can find a way to hold the stuff in there while it dries. I know others have done this repair but I don't know the details.

Perry