Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Woodside , New York
Silver window trim for a '68 Caravel

Hey Folks,

Does anyone know where to purchase the silver metal trim for a glass ( not a glass substitute ) window for a 68 Caravel.

I purchased a window trim from a vendor and it does not fit glass, it is for something else.

Thanks,

Geno
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Weird, I have just bent-up the trim I ordered to fit my '68 tradewind, and have decided there is no way it's going to fit.
I am hoping my sheet metal guy can make me some out of aluminum. The original seems to be a lot thinner material than the stuff I ordered. And the 'V' shape of it is not going to receive the glass... I'm just glad I didn't break the window while trying to make it work!$$!!

Has anyone replaced trim on these windows?
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Can you post a picture of what you are looking for?

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
If you leave the trim off it will look like a 67. They never had the trim.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Woodside , New York
I would like to leave the trim off, but the other three windows already have it, but if I don't find it soon there going on without it. It's getting a little too cold to camp without them any longer.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
I too, ordered the stainless trim pieces to fit my '68 Overlander. Because of the v-curve of them, I've broken two pieces of tempered glass already! It certainly wasn't designed to fit. And the stainless trim pieces were not cheap.

I then decided to order a piece of lexan from the same place I ordered the trim pieces. What a joke. I waited FIVE weeks for that to come. After numerous calls on MY end, they finally sent me out a broken piece! Was told when I ordered it, that it would be sent out the same day. NOPE! They never had called to tell me they were out. Very poor communication and service!

When I called to talk to the owner, he would never return my calls, nor answer them. VERY DISAPPOINTING!!! On my last call, I talked to another guy, and low and behold...I was told the replacement for the broken piece I'd recieved, would be sent right out.

STILL WAITING!!!! Over a week now. So...over SIX WEEKS later, they have my money, and I have no lexan, still!! Had the trim pieces fit the glass that they were supposed to, I'd never be out over $70 for the two pieces of glass. And I'm still out $115 for the Lexan I've NEVER recieved from them. ALL FROM THE SAME RV DEALER! No names here....but how long should it take to get from California to Colorado. Pony express would be faster.

Best wishes to you on your problem with the trim pieces. I've had no success with mine. Sorry to sound so disgruntled, but some places just want your money and then you're at THEIR mercy!! Because of this whole mess with them...I'll never be a "happy camper" this year.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Woodside , New York
Well Becky I can relate to your frustration. Geez all I want to do is replace a couple of windows and have it look good. And yes some of the dealers are a challenge to deal with.

Anybody out there know of a dealer that has the trim for glass?

Geno
Old 10-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Still Waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno
Well Becky I can relate to your frustration. Geez all I want to do is replace a couple of windows and have it look good. And yes some of the dealers are a challenge to deal with.

Anybody out there know of a dealer that has the trim for glass?

Geno
I can tell you where NOT to order your trim pieces. I only have ONE piece of glass I'm trying to replace!

The problem is...the vendor I bought them from is more busy trying to promote his products on this forum, than to try to rectify any problems his customers have. I've spent well over a thousand dollars from this place. There's no customer service. They can even send you the wrong things, and you're expected to pay a re-stock fee.

I will be happy to tell you where I received my trim pieces, Geno, if you'll Private Message me.

I truly don't want anyone else to have to go through what I've been through. I'm not out to slander anyone. But, this forum is supposed to be a place where we can help each other. Not just for those trying to pad their bank accounts!

I'd opt for maybe a thin aluminum trim, custom made by a local shop. It seems my other trim pieces are made of something similar. Wish you more success than I'm having.

Tags
caravel