Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Smile Silicone on an AS should be illegal!!

Not to speak badly of the PO (may he rest in peace) but I hate silicone. I have ordered a tube of the silicone remover from VTS and am impatiently awaiting its arrival in hopes that it works. If so, I may be ordering a case of it, lol. Right now its a razor blade and windex and a lot of elbow grease (also removing the clear coat from windows as we go via razor blade...gggrrrrrr)

So far in repairing our windows we are trying to get all the old WHITE silicone off the glass and U gasket. The U gasket is pulling away from the glass and the frame in several areas so we are opting for a quick fix as in this post

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...fix-47703.html]

We tried the Vulkem (Trempro 636) right out of the caulk gun but got frustrated at how messy it looked. I have toddlers so we have a good supply of those syringes that come with the kids infant meds, we are using those filled with the vulkem to create a small bead. Thanks to the forums, we learned that alcohol will remove the sticky substance. Also via trial and error. Our only option is to do the repairs out doors. We did one window and came back to it the next day only to find a huge amount of dirt stuck into the vulkem. aaahhhhggggg Again, alcohol on a papertowel or rag and a gentle wipe has worked great!!

Thanks again to the forums for all the great help and saving us lots of time and money(hopefully)!! Lets just hope this works!!
CampUnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Not all silicone caulk is unsightly, or short lived. I used both Parbond and GE Silicone II for Aluminum and Metal, in an aluminum color, and I've had much better success with the latter. It goes on smooth and easy, blends with the AS skin, and has a lifetime guarantee. It is "formulated for aluminum". The Parbond shrank and cracked the very 1st year, I'll not use it again. The GE stuff looks just as good today as 5 years ago. Just my experience, and guess I better stock up on it before it becomes illegal.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Try to use painters tape to outline the area you are working on. When you pull the tape off, it leaves a nice clean line/border for the caulk.
Works great on all caulk projects.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampUnger View Post

We tried the Vulkem (Trempro 636) right out of the caulk gun but got frustrated at how messy it looked. I have toddlers so we have a good supply of those syringes that come with the kids infant meds, we are using those filled with the vulkem to create a small bead. Thanks to the forums, we learned that alcohol will remove the sticky substance.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You mentioned that you are using a razor blade and Windex. Just to let you know that Windex contains ammonia which causes aluminum to corrode. They do make ammonia free Windex which would be a better choice.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Good to know!! We got this 2 years ago and this is the first we have done anything to it in the way of checking for leaks. (I know we should have, and as much as we loved it, we had a daughter 3 days after we got it, and are also remodeling our house and my inlaws house at the same time.
We started with the aluminum parabond last year for the smaller seams and where we want it to blend better with the aluminum. The vulkem we are using for the window glass/frame seals and larger areas. So far (after the one year) our parabond is still doing ok where we have applied it.

Anyone else have input on it? I realize everyone has a favorite sealant, and a lot depends on roads traveled and region or use/storage. We are in Indiana so we get below 0 to 100+ in temps and all the wind, rain, snow, hail, sleet, and drought that go along with it. Roads traveled are usually good shaped and fairly smooth, mostly highway. For now we can't store it under roof, maybe some day *sigh*
Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Ill check, but I think we have the ammonia free version. We are using it as a lubricant mostly to slide the razor across. It gets a bath when we are done scraping, that should help with any residue left!!
Thankyou!!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Parbond is not silicone based, I don't think. The tube says it is rubber based. No mention of silicone on the package. I have used it extensively, with good results.
However, it is for small seam/bead applications...like 1/16" - 1/8" max....IMO.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I had good success with Vulkem on metal to metal. I had no success with Vulkem on glass to metal. I have good success with 100% silicone on glass to metal. So far I only see that Airstream has 4 weaknesses, the steel frame, the wood floor, the glass windows, and the aluminum body. The rest is fine.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Splitrock,
I read your post and got my first laugh of the day!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Quote:
So far I only see that Airstream has 4 weaknesses, the steel frame, the wood floor, the glass windows, and the aluminum body. The rest is fine.
Can I add the laminated wood grain cabinets that are peeling and the sticky interior walls...lol
Old 05-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
......So far I only see that Airstream has 4 weaknesses, the steel frame, the wood floor, the glass windows, and the aluminum body. The rest is fine.
OOPS! I didn't realize that I'd signed into the Winnebago forum.....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
How much Vulkem

will it take to fill this?

Just wondering . . .
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Quote:
How much Vulkem
will it take to fill this?
Thats a small hole compared to ours, we took out the entire section undeer the gaucho, except the battery boxes. Floor was still good there. Painted the frame, now if I look under the trailer i have paint dripping from all the leaks in the belly!!! Fun Fun, its always something!!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Question Are you sure?

"Silicone on an AS should be illegal!! "

I'm pretty sure that Pamela Anderson didn't feel that way when she had her Airstream.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote