Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
Safari window leak

I have a 2005 Safari with the Hehr windows that are used in most all Safari models. I have a small leak and need to repair it. A dealer said that they just replace the outside trim and use a sealer around the joints of the trim. This doesn't sound right to me. I would think that you should remove the window glass and caulk between the glass and the frame.

Does anyone have and experience with this?
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
My Safari's rear window is the emergency exit. If this is the one you are having problems with, make sure to keep it operable!

If it is this window you are having problems with, I think the dealer is probably saying to replace the rubber seals around the glass. I would agree with this.

I have had leaks at this window. Keeping the weeps clear/open is very important. I have not been successful at completely eliminating water intrusion at this window, but what leaks in also leaks out the weeps immediately. This window is so large that condensation is a problem during cold weather. I have had drips come off of it when there was no rain.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I have an 02 Safari with Hehr windows. Like A W said, part of the repair depends on which window you are speaking of. Can you post a picture of the window in question?
Old 10-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
Thanks for the input. It is not the emergency exit, but the awning crank out window below the fixed window. I did talk to the Mfg and was told that the proper way to repair the leak was to remove the rubber gasket and gently cut the bond between the glass and the frame to get the glass to "release". Clean leftover rubber from glass and frame and caulk a new bead of rubber seal between both and replace glass into frame. After this is done put a new gasket around the frame.
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I also had leaks in the lower awning windows like you do. I bought a 5/8" D gasket from ODM. I scraped the old gaskets off, then cleaned the glass with alcohol to get the adhesive residue off. The new gaskets' adhesive is not to good, but after I installed the new gaskets I closed the windows tightly and let them set a few days in the closed position until the adhesive had set. They have been leak free for more than a year!