Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas
Reseal Vista View Window Frame?

Just bought my first Airstream... a 1972 Tradewind. I saw it for the first time this weekend and it needs some work. It rained overnight and a leak appears to be coming from one of the Vista View windows. It is also completely fogged up with cracked tint inside.

Does anyone have any experience/advice in taking these out, repairing the interior, and then reinstalling with a new gasket or something to prevent leaks in the future? Thanks!
ZacharyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I've never fixed a leaky one. I have taken the inside plastic pane out and scraped the tinting off. Got one more to do, in fact.

I carefully drilled a few holes on the inside plastic, then broke the plastic. Be careful pieces can be sharp. It does make quite a mess.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I redid both my vista views on a 73 overlander. Not very hard to do. You just need to take your time and not force anything. You take the frame off from the inside. You will see this aluminum frame holding the window in. Pull the frame using screw driver and needle nose pliers. It can be a bugger but it will come out. Once you get that out your plastic window will come out. I then took a razor blade knife and cut the vulcum on the inside of the glass window and I did the same thing on the outside. I took my time and went slow. I did not rush anything or force anything. You do not want to break the glass window. Once you have cut the vulcum completely it will come out. Once you get the window out find a nice comfortable spot and use a razor blade scraper on remove all the old solar film on the window. It takes time but you should be able to get it clean with in an hour.

Once you have them clean you might want to got to autozone and pick up some solar film and put new film on the windows. That was easy also. first time doing it. They have a youtube film that shows you how. Just go to the website listed on the new film box.

You need to clean the window frame on the trailer. You need to get all the vulcum sealant off. I bit the bullet and bought a small dremel tool with a wire brush and cleaned the frame.

Then re-apply new vulcum (Inland RV sells it or get it from out door mart NC.). be very careful with your vulcum bead. That stuff is sticky and nasty. put the window back in. Use little rubber pieces to hold the window in. The rubber pieces should still be stuck to the window frame. I made new ones out of an old rubber spongy cord. It sounds challenging but it really is not. Mine have never leaked since. Check the forums because that is where I got all my directions. Airstream changed their vista windows over the years, but I am sure yours are like mine.

Lothlorian
Old 12-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
Look carefully at the inside of your Vista View window. Mine did not have any clips holding the interior pane. I used a Dremel tool to cut the interior plastic pane into three pieces and pulled them out. I found the window frame was made with two channels. One held the outside glass and the second held the plastic interior pane. This was a simple project and really made a difference in the exterior appearance and the amount of light inside.
AIR#809
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyTX View Post
Just bought my first Airstream... a 1972 Tradewind. I saw it for the first time this weekend and it needs some work. It rained overnight and a leak appears to be coming from one of the Vista View windows. It is also completely fogged up with cracked tint inside.

Does anyone have any experience/advice in taking these out, repairing the interior, and then reinstalling with a new gasket or something to prevent leaks in the future? Thanks!
A simple fix is to clean the glass to metal area and install a nice bead of vulkem sealer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
easton , Pennsylvania
I am considering buying an 72 airstream 27'. Looks pretty good for its age. My main
concern is the condensation between the windows (one even has green stuff growing in it) Would I have to replace them or just do a good seal job to prevent water leaks.
Frank Casio is offline   Reply With Quote