Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South Burlington , Vermont
Rear Window Repair by a Newbie? 2011 Sport

Hey Everyone,
So the top portion (the stationary part vs. the crank out part) of the rear bathroom window on my 2011 22FB Bambi Sport is broken (don't ask...).

Is this something a Newbie with only modest fix-it skills (but reasonable ambition) can repair? Or do I need to take it to a dealer? I've not found many threads on this, nor any helpful YouTube videos.

Do I have to buy/repair the entire thing or just the top portion that is broken? I know they obviously need to be sealed well and I don't know if that gets pretty tricky?

Thanks for any links or advice.
Tom
TomPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...

I'm very surprised to get no responses to this post. Maybe it's too specific? Generally I see tons of replies to questions. I'm finding windows to be a real mystery actually. I've done a lot of searching and calling around, including right to Airstream, and I cannot verify whether I have to replace the entire window component or just the top glass that is broken.

Furthermore, I can't find parts for either thing anywhere online. I'm probably just going to give myself over to the mercy of the local RV place but I'm just really surprised and frustrated how hard it is to get information on this topic.

Hopefully I'll get more feedback on my next one which is on solar panels. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Is the glass framed or just glass? A picture would get us started with suggestions.

I have replaced framed glass but the tolerances on the glass size are critical and the frames are hell to get apart without damaging them.

You might contact an auto glass vendor as they have access to to more than just car windshield glass

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...

Photos attached. It's 2 pieces of glass in two separate parts of the overall frame. According to Airstream, you can't just replace the glass (which would be so nice). Instead, you have to replace the entire unit.

I'm still hoping that I can install this on my own, or with the help of someone less expensive than my dealer. The guys at AS say it will take 3 - 4 hours to do by a tech. And at my dealer's hourly, that's over $600 just in labor. The part is $230 plus shipping.

I've search YouTube for videos but so far haven't really found anything too helpful. Still hoping the Forum universe will have some ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window 3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	316542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Window 4.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	316544  

Old 07-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
better photo

better photo of broken window component
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window 2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	316545  
Old 07-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Can't tell from the photos above, nor from the online info on the Airstream corporate site, what holds the window frames in.

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with the 22FB Sport, but the window frames on my Airstream are held in by a rivet about every inch and a half around the perimeter. Is this model like that too, or does it have Hehr windows, like https://www.ebay.com/bhp/hehr-window that are perhaps glued in or held in some other way?

I'm sure it can be fixed regardless, but without knowing how it's put together and how it's held in it's hard to advise.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
It's not riveted in, and yes, it's a Hehr window. The Part # from AS is 371 426 - 05. I haven't figure out how it comes out, but it looks like just screws from the inside that hold it in the frame. But there is likely also glue or a gasket involved too. So that's what I'm trying to figure out, is it just like a lot of RV windows where you pop it out and pop a new one in, or is it really 3 - 4 hours for a skilled technician? Thanks for the input.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
I would remove the screws. It's probably glued in with some type of polyurethane sealant which would require you to mechanically break the seal (plastic scraper). Honestly, like Eric said most of us here have older airstreams that have the windows riveted in. Which is why no comments. If like what they install on sob campers it will most likely remove and install the same. Hope this helps. I'd look up hehr window replacement on YouTube (which you probably have already).
Old 11-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Aptos , CA
Hi Tom,

Just wondering if you ever figured out how to remove/replace that window? I assume it's glued in from the outside? How was the glue cut without damaging the surrounding aluminum? I have one of these window replacements in my future too.

Thanks, Jason
jrowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:38 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
More or less yes. I ordered a new one from Airstream. $225 or something as I recall. Then I called our local dealer to see how much to repair it and it was maybe $300 or $400 but they weren't really sure. To be honest they are not a shop I have much faith in and I didn't want to pay that much.

I ended up taking it to Portland Glass. They did it for $80. But, I had some water still getting in around the seals afterward. But they actually came to my house and resealed it and it's been fine since then.

If I had an airstream repair place that I trusted more, I would probably go with someone who does it all the time. But I was happy to save the money in this case.