Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Quick window question...

We have a '74 27' Overlander that's been an on-again, off-again project for the last several years. As seems typical for this era trailer, the film between the panes has gotten unsightly, to say the least, so that's what I'm working on. I got lucky, our windows are the ones with the Plexiglas inner panes in their own frame that slip into the outer frame and are secured by screws. So far, although slow and tedious, things are progressing just fine. So here's my question.

Does the big flat window and the wing windows also have the film? Reason I ask, I just pulled the big flat window, and it looks pristine, I can't tell if it has film or not. Our trailer does have the tinted rock guard, which is down most of the time, of course. Could that be why the film hasn't deteriorated on those front windows, if it's there?

On a related question, that rock guard has done it's job over the years, and it looks it. There's a couple of craters from rock strikes, and the whole thing is badly crazed. Looks like a replacement would run over $500 with shipping, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried just replacing the Plexiglas on one of these. I've already ordered a new gasket, everything else seems to be in good shape, and even though it would be a fairly large piece of Lexan (?), it's gotta be less than $500. Opinions? Thanks!

Dave
daved20319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Okay, guess I'll have to answer my own question...

For those interested, the answer is no, the front windows do NOT have any film on them, at least, mine doesn't, and it is original. If the rock guard was standard equipment, this would make sense, and if not, then I guess Airstream expected everyone to include it. So, neither my large flat center window nor the wing windows have any film in them. BTW, my wing windows are double pane, and both panes are glass. Later.

Dave
daved20319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
There is no film in the front and rear windows.
The rock guard was optional but essential. You can replace the flexible polycarbonate shield, but I don't think it's plexiglass.
Keep the "crazed" rock guard until you decide how to repair or replace it. Those wing windows cost More $$ than you can imagine once you include labor and materials.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote