Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
problem with windows sticking...

We just bought a new leftover 05 25' safari FB a month ago, so...it was sitting on dealers lot for 2 yrs. The problem we're having now is the windows are hard to open, hubby has tried greasing them, cleaned them. But...everytime we try to open them their always hard to open. Anyone else have this problem, and how did you take care of the problem? Appreciate feedback on this...
safari05-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Silicone your gaskets at least annually. You probably want the 303 product at Camping World. See: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ick-24187.html

One step further into the experience, my Fantastic Fan has been sticking when I open it. There was a lot of stress on the gears before it finally popped up. Silicone on the gasket fixed it immediately!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:43 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We also have an '05 25' Safari FB that we we bough new in June, '06. Lucy had been on the dealer's lot for seventeen months. We just spent our 30th night out in Lucy. We had the very same problem with the windows sticking. I also had thought about lubing them, but had not gotten aroung to it. They have now started to work more freely. I am not sure if the use has done the trick or if the fact that we are currently camping in Maine in the cooler weather has done it.

At first I had a hard time with the fact that you have to turn the handle clockwise in order to open them. I have also tried to open the bedroom windows on several occasions with the rock shield closed. This does not work real good.

Please let us know if you come up with a remedy.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:45 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Bob - what type of silicone lubricant did you use and where did you get it?
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Per the thread I linked above, I determined that my 3M aerosol silicone contains 20-40% acetone -- a heckuva rubber dissolver! I'd suggest the 303 Aerospace Protectant.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 10-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Hello all: So, I too failed to keep the rubber siliconed and as a result the rubber composition tore when opening the two of the windows. (which did not open without significant assistance with a soft rubber knife). Anyway, called Airstream and at no charge they are going to send out new rubber seals for both windows!!!!!. Told them I was very happy, and thank you.

Now, on to the silicone. Canoe Stream, next time I go to camping world will look at the 303 protectant. In the meantime, what about SNAP silicone spray. Just called the SNAP company and they said their product did not have acetone as part of the ingredients.

Thoughts?

Robert and Sherry
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
We have an '06 25FB. The only window we had trouble with was the 'Emergency exit' window....a real confidence booster! Discovered the factory guys got a little happy with the sealants on that window. After careful surgury with my exacto kit and some silicone (non-acetone type), it works great. I also check it before each trip...just to be sure.
Scott
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
For really stuck windows I used a very thin plastic putty knife and very carefully got it started and then continue from there. Later I put some kind of lubricant on it.
I read that some people keep a length of dental floss or fishing line hanging out both inside & outside, to enable them to brake the seal when it sticks again. But since I lubricated the rubber seals they don’t stick---much.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I use 303 protectant on my window and door seals as well as on my Fantastic Fan seals, and wouldn't use anything else. I also use it on the truck and trailer tires, my trailer back bumper and everything else that's rubber or vinyl on my truck and trailer as well.

I also use a wonderful wax/cleaning agent called Wash and Wax that is just about the best thing since sliced bread for quick cleaning/waxing your trailer (in between normal waxes), and I use this on my truck as well. A really nice thing about this product is that you can use it on your windows as well - it wipes on and off better and clearer than even Windex, plus gives them a protective coating akin to Rain-X.

I first became aware of this Wash and Wax stuff several years ago from a Prevost owner who was using it on his RV parked next to us in a campground. I've since learned that it is used a lot on airplanes as well, and I can buy it locally at a pilot's store near our local airport.

John
Old 10-30-2006, 06:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
My favorite is an absolutely water based professional-only (dental) preparation. I fully believe that spraying the 303 onto a paper towel before applying is a very useful application idea.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 10-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Flyfisher: "Wash and Wax" sounds good, so can you tell us who the makes this stuff, or is it only available from an airport?

Thanks, Robert
Old 10-31-2006, 01:15 PM   #12
Craftsman

Take a look at this company www.corrosionxproducts.com . They make some great products. The rejects is great for the front of your truck and Airstream, whatever does stick wipes right off.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenHigher
Flyfisher: "Wash and Wax" sounds good, so can you tell us who the makes this stuff, or is it only available from an airport?

Thanks, Robert
Robert -

I see it is actually called Wash Wax All. Here's their internet site:

http://www.washwax.com/

I had bought it directly from them (by the gallon) until I saw that you can look up their dealers on their internet site. That's how I found the dealer close to me at the airport -- it is actually cheaper for me to buy it locally than what they sell it for directly. Oh, and I when I use it on my trailer when I'm on the road, after I give it a good annual waxing at home, the bugs and dirt just seem to float off, and it gives my trailer a really nice shine all summer.

John
Old 10-31-2006, 04:18 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Thanks Flyfisher/John.

Bookmarked the site and am going to just call them and order a gallon right away.

Thanks, Robert
Old 02-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Be careful opening those windows when they are stuck. My son-in-law tried to lever one out using just one of the two opening rods and the window shattered into about 5000 pieces. What a mess to clean up in a parking lot.

Fortunately the weather was dry for the trip home and I covered the window with cardboard for the week or so while I waited for a replacement.

The incident wasn't an entire waste, though. It motivated me to replace the deteriorated rubber seals on all the windows and the door. I even adjusted the latches so the windows would close more easily.

Loren
Old 02-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I used some of my wife's baby powder (---I never told her!) on the rubber gaskets and the windows were still working smoothly at the end of our last Florida safari. Plus that, it sure smelled good when you opened them up! On the other hand, they had started to stick again last summer.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote