Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2002, 09:35 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to MikeMikeMI
Question Oval Window Frame Replacement

My 69 Tradewind has one oval fixed window on either side of the trailer below an opening window. The oval window has been broken out on one side during a burglary attempt. I now want to replace the glass. The frame to the oval window now has the rivets removed and only the original mastic holding the frame in place. I could use advice on easing the frame away from the body.
Central California Coast
MikeMikeMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 02:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The original "sash and glass" is still available. Airstream does not sell "just the glass." You remove the sash by using a putty knife, CAREFULLY, to break the vulkem and double sided tape that's on the back side of it. Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Coal Center , Pennsylvania
I have a 76 Exella 500. The PO or factory put this "stuff" in between the windows that has disintergrated into something like soap flakes. All I want to do is remove one pane, clear the stuff out and replace. Any hints on how to do this without applying alot of force to the window? I'm living full time in the RV so it has to be a fast fix before the rain and snow comes in. And, I don't know why I didn't fix it in the summer.

Heidi
ubuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMikeMI
My 69 Tradewind has one oval fixed window on either side of the trailer below an opening window. The oval window has been broken out on one side during a burglary attempt. I now want to replace the glass. The frame to the oval window now has the rivets removed and only the original mastic holding the frame in place. I could use advice on easing the frame away from the body.
Applying heat from an electric heat gun to soften the sealent will greatly ease the removel of the sealent. Then carefully work a thin putty knife around the perimeter to cut the foam type seal between the skin and frame. You have to be very careful not to scratch or bend the aluminum skin. I have removed several and it just takes patience. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #5

1976 31' Excella 500
1975 27' Overlander
Heber , Utah
I also have a 76 excella with window issues and what I have learned from forums around the net is this, the flakey stuff is the remains of the factory tint. On mine the lower vista veiw windows have a plastic interior panel that supposedly can be removed from the inside by removing the alum. retaining ring and then gently prying the inner plastic panel out, then gently scraping and washing. I have not done this yet but I intend to and will post my results. I know this only applies to the lower vista veiws because my uppers have glass interior panes and are assembled diferently. I hope this makes some sense and is useful
seaker236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaker236
I... I know this only applies to the lower vista veiws because my uppers have glass interior panes and are assembled diferently. ...
The upper vista views in earlier models (starting in 1971 or '72 and maybe only for 2-3 years) are assembled with the clip and plastic inside pane, just like your lower windows.

Zep
Old 12-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
stuff something like soap flakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuckster
I have a 76 Exella 500. The PO or factory put this "stuff" in between the windows that has disintergrated into something like soap flakes. All I want to do is remove one pane, clear the stuff out and replace. Any hints on how to do this without applying alot of force to the window? I'm living full time in the RV so it has to be a fast fix before the rain and snow comes in. And, I don't know why I didn't fix it in the summer.

Heidi
I think you will find the soap flakey stuff is factory disintegrated butyl caulking. I put some photos in a recent post of mine "disassembling double pane windows" or they maybe in a post Zeppelinium started recently on "replacing film in double pane windows. There is no way to remove one pane without intentionally breaking it or carefully taking the window apart.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
If you go for a replacment window the rivet holes do not line up so you will need to drill all new holes (54 in my case).

I have had to do it twice the first time I replaced with a used window.
Next time I replace the glass with Lexan I bought at Home Depot.
A real pain to do but not impossible took me about 2 hours to R&R and this would be my 1st choice if I had to do it again. The main thing is the window seal if you damage it I don't know about a replacment seal. Andy may carry them.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Red Oak , Texas
That's my question. I have a 71 with two Vista Views on the non-street side. The windows are a bit foggy but ok and the slides work fine but the molding is bending and coming off the wall. Any ideas on sources of molding? I will keep researching and then need to take some pictures and post.
SharonIvey is offline   Reply With Quote