Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2024, 11:42 AM   #1

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
New 2023 airstream, all 4 panoramic windows leaking?

Hello. My family and I are new to airstreams and pretty new to trailers in general.

A few weeks ago we picked up our new 25' FC, with big plans for spring and summer! We got it on sale as they were clearing out old 2023 stock, and now I'm wondering if there was a reason this one was left over...

After we got it home and it rained (Pacific Northwest...), we noticed a puddle of water under one of the panoramic windows. We took some pictures and wiped up the mess. The next dry day we went around with a bucket of water and a scoop and tested and found leaks in ALL FOUR panoramic windows. AND saw water coming in through one of the body panel seams in the front of the trailer.

Is this normal? I wouldn't be surprised if a 20 year old trailer leaked, but a new one?

The dealer has been great about getting us in for service. But I'm concerned that it's been sitting on a lot somewhere leaking and that there might be a bunch of hidden damage on our "new" trailer.

What should we do?
mikevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Short answer - No! That is not normal and very surprising as Airstream water tests every trailer before the interior is installed.

You can start with the dealer but if it were me, I would be calling Jackson Center and sending them photos of what you’ve found. That’s one defect they should want to fix. I hate to say it, but a trip to the JC repair center might be your best bet if the dealer can’t fix it.

We’ve been to JC twice for a list of warranty work and they’ve done a great job of making things right.

Good luck with your repair. This is very unusual.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 03:24 PM   #3

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Thanks jeffmc306 for the reply.
How do people who are “far” (2300 mi for me) from JC get their rigs there? Make a trip of it? Hire someone?

I guess the first step is to call Airstream.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Sorry for your troubles, disappointing for sure. You have a new rig so you have the composite floor. While no water is best, I wouldn't expect any lasting troubles once it's all dried out.

If you don't plan to drive it to Jackson Center yourself, I expect you can call your dealer and contract with the people who deliver the new rigs from the factory. "Back hauls" have to be an unexpected bonus for the transporters. I'd also demand reimbursement.

Steve
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 05:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It may not be normal, but it's not uncommon. My Panos first leaked at about age 3 years. A second reseal at about age 11 or 12.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:11 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One wonders if there might be more to the story of this trailer ....

Some trailers are damaged in the shipping process. Road debris or something like that does a number on the trailer as it goes down the road. It arrives at the dealer and it's a mess.

The "answer" turns out to be that parts get shipped to the dealer and he repairs the damage.

One would *think* that this should be mentioned when the trailer gets sold. Does it always get mentioned? .... hmmmmm .....

If you hop threads here, you can find folks reporting delivery of their "new" AS with damage. Most threads wind up with those folks refusing delivery. That trailer will get sold to somebody. I've always wondered it you could connect those dots ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 10:22 AM   #7
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
You must not be accustomed to driving very far yet. LOL

I am heading there from Texas for the 3rd time in April. It is a long 3 day drive, but it is the only option with what I need done on mine. If I had that problem I would have someone turn a water hose on it and see where the leak was and fix it myself. It will save you months of valuable time. My guess is the caulk gun they used had an air pocket in it and they missed a spot. I have seen this issue when caulking long lines that were visible before.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 01:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
I agree with KCurtis. I’d attempt a fix before driving across the country.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 05:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Hudson , Ohio
Call Jackson Center right away to document the issue and date. They may offer some interim remedies before they can get to it.
Spike
SpikePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:58 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
McKinney , Texas
Leaking windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Short answer - No! That is not normal and very surprising as Airstream water tests every trailer before the interior is installed.

You can start with the dealer but if it were me, I would be calling Jackson Center and sending them photos of what you’ve found. That’s one defect they should want to fix. I hate to say it, but a trip to the JC repair center might be your best bet if the dealer can’t fix it.

We’ve been to JC twice for a list of warranty work and they’ve done a great job of making things right.

Good luck with your repair. This is very unusual.
Have the dealer or AS mfg. pay the expenditures such as fuel to drive the trailer to the mfg. I have a friend that was paid for his fuel.
D-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:08 AM   #11

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Thanks all for the great advice.

We started with our local dealer to see what they can do (this is also what JC suggested when I called them).

I'd love to find a way to inspect the insulation between the walls to make sure it's dry... We have some mold sensitivities in the family, which was part of our thinking behind buying new. Sounds like the only real way to do this is to drill out the rivets and pull off the interior skins...
Old 02-16-2024, 12:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Good luck with a remedy.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:51 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fayetteville , Arizona
New 2023 airstream, all 4 panoramic windows leaking

Forget the advice that says demand your money back and any assumptions that predict how damage might have happend. Each state has various lemon laws and you are highly unlikely to be headed down that road yet. Your trailer has a warranty and your dealer is your 1st contact point in the process. Also, I ordered my 2023 airstream on for August 1921. The factory was not producing airstreams and it took until 2023 for me to get mine. Most of your airstream lights were sitting empty, which is not how they’re looking now if you have a 2023 if not a leftover.
Let your dealer look at it … It might be something easy for them to handle, but if they determine it’s something that’s beyond them you’ll probably find they end up getting it back to Jackson center. My first airstream had nonstop, minor issues. I fixed many of them with the knowledge of other friends in my airstream unit. During the return from a West Coast trip, I scheduled a service at Jackson Center and they finished repairing stuff that had annoyed me on the trip and then that trailer never had a problem. I was lucky with my second airstream never had a problem. Now I have a 2023, 28 ft International and had a problem with both door locks. It was quickly repaired at the dealership. If you haven’t joined Airstream Club International (ACI) you might give it a try. There’s probably a unit not far from you, and at some point friends who have had Airstreams can help you fix things that are actually minor to the knowledgeable person.
Good luck. Hope you can start enjoying it soon.
akarakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:29 AM   #14

Smithville , Tennessee
Angry

We bought a 2018 Bambi new. The floor had a hump in it. When dealer checked it out. It was leaking inside the walls and rotted the floor. Two windows were replaced, they did an air pressure test and resealed some seams. Also my refrigerator had two boards that got replaced. 6 months later we got it back. I love my Bambi but this was not acceptable from an airstream. It was under warranty but it was still hard to swallow.
Alturner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:47 AM   #15

2023 20' Caravel
Portland , Oregon
We also live in the Pacific NW and experienced a leak in our 2023 Caravel which was detected after one of the atmospheric river events in November. Luckily, we did one last shakedown trip to a park nearby prior to our December three month follow up with Airstream. We would not have noticed that the mattress of our bed was literally soaked through and beginning to mold had we not done that. Portland Airstream got us in the same day and eventually found a leak around the front window. They removed the window, fixed the sealant and replaced the mattress. While we have not camped since and have not had any recent atmospheric river events I am hopeful that the problem is solved. We did have to laugh however, as we have always assumed we would never have a leak issue with an Airstream! Just goes to show, never say never….
Koeherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:24 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Lightly related.

Outside of the current issue, please note that periodic maintenance and testing are necessary. Water leak tests should be done at least every 2-3 years. Checking internal and external fasteners- internal every other year, external, every season or 1x per year.

Since both of these units are 2023, hard to tell when the manufacture date actually was, since it is possible that a 2023 could have been built as early as August of 2022.

Just reminding folks, particularly the newbies that it's not buy and forget, there are things that need to be checked throughout the life of the RV after the shake down stuff is done.
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
2024 leaks

First, good luck calling and “talking” to someone at JC. You used to could but no more. You’ll have to fill out a form and submit it for callback. Second, do not let your dealer fix, even if they are a “5-Rivet” Certified dealer. My suggestion is drive it to JC for repairs. Believe me, if this is a new rig, you’re gonna have 15 more warranty problems by the time you get there. Get JC to get you in ASAP, have your dealer do minimal temporary leak repairs and make your way back. We’re on our 3rd Airstream in 7 years and have been to JC 8 times and are scheduled back again on May 20 for our 2nd visit on our 2023 Flying Cloud 28. Our last rig (2018 Classic 33) spent 479 days in dealer and JC repairs over 3 years.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:26 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
sarasota , Florida
2019 23CB front water leak

We have a mysterious water leak that has caused the floor board to become wet in the front under the dinette and panoramic front windows of our 2019 23cb. Checked front window seal caulking and all seems to be good. Would anyone know of a reliable place to have a pressure water leak test done in Central / north central / or west coast Florida? I read about one independant place near Ocala / Gainesville area in one of the threads but can't seem to find it again. This is our 3rd AS and never had a leak issue before. We haven't found the airstream dealer service centers to be very good near us also have very long wait times. Thanks for any suggestions!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:36 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
We have a mysterious water leak that has caused the floor board to become wet in the front under the dinette and panoramic front windows of our 2019 23cb. Checked front window seal caulking and all seems to be good. Would anyone know of a reliable place to have a pressure water leak test done in Central / north central / or west coast Florida? I read about one independant place near Ocala / Gainesville area in one of the threads but can't seem to find it again. This is our 3rd AS and never had a leak issue before. We haven't found the airstream dealer service centers to be very good near us also have very long wait times. Thanks for any suggestions!
Hi

The whole "pressure test" thing is a bit unusual. Finding somebody who can do it *right* is not at all easy. One very basic issue is all of the holes in the floor of the AS that various pipes and cables run through.

The leak could be just about anywhere. Caulk is usually the first guess. There are a number of items on the roof with caulk around them. Checking those and re-doing anything that looks suspicious is a good first step.

The DIY approach for leaks is a garden hose and a lot of patience.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote