RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,035
Images: 9
Need some parts for a window clean up

I have been searching for the right gasket to redo the windows on our 1976 Sovereign. My husband got the first window taken apart and we are not sure where to find the gasket that holds the two panes together and what other parts we may need. Anyone that has sources for materials,directions for reinstallation, or other hints for us would be most appreciated.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
overlander63's Avatar
 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,254
What windows? If you're talking about the double-pane Vista views and wing windows, those are generally not serviceable.
__________________
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,035
Images: 9
Oh no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
What windows? If you're talking about the double-pane Vista views and wing windows, those are generally not serviceable.
I hope you are not serious! Right now the only window we have apart is the living area side window but the wing windows and the stack windows need repair as well. So does this mean we can't repair those other windows at all?

Can we get the gasket and other parts for the full size windows? Gee...please tell me we can.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
I hope you are not serious! Right now the only window we have apart is the living area side window but the wing windows and the stack windows need repair as well. So does this mean we can't repair those other windows at all?

Can we get the gasket and other parts for the full size windows? Gee...please tell me we can.
Sandy
Sandy.

The black outside gasket has an upgrade.

However, since Airstream quit the double pane window program, that gasket, which was not available then, is still not available, and really never was.

You will have to improvise the best way that you can.

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
New Member
 
Janie Q's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 0
post photos...
Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,035
Images: 9
Rats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Sandy.

The black outside gasket has an upgrade.

However, since Airstream quit the double pane window program, that gasket, which was not available then, is still not available, and really never was.

You will have to improvise the best way that you can.

Andy
Thanks for that information and I am disappointed it isn't available. Any suggestions on how to improvise?
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic
 
Darkspeed's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,169
Images: 6
Is it not a Glazing Spacer? For the wing windows...
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,035
Images: 9
Photos of the mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie Q View Post
post photos...
Jane
Here are some photos of the window mess we have going on. I am getting depressed thinking about how we might not be able to fix this very easily. I should already have known nothing on these things is an easy fix. The first picture is of the entire gray gasket as it would appear around the window and the picture of my hand and the gasket. This gasket is the one we are looking for right now. It is about 1/2" wide and about 1/2"tall on one side and a 1/4" on the other side.

One the bright side, I have the two panes cleaned up pretty well and all we need now is the gasket. I hope someone out there has a couple of hundred new ones sitting in their garage they are willing to sell. Call me!
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Late November 2011 Pacer and Albatross 063.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	146305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Late November 2011 Pacer and Albatross 060.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	146306  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Late November 2011 Pacer and Albatross 054.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	146307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Late November 2011 Pacer and Albatross 069.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	146308  

ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,035
Images: 9
Is that the same as the photo I just posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
Is it not a Glazing Spacer? For the wing windows...
I am not sure of what they are officially called but I call the gray piece in the photo a gray gasket so maybe I am not naming it what it really is. We didn't even take a wing window apart yet. We figured we would try a large roadside living room window first and see what happened. I will do a search on glazing spacers to see what I come up with. I also plan to do a recon on local glass places tomorrow to see if they might have something that would work. I will also run around on the weekend and go to all of the local hardware stores. If it to be found, I will do my best to find it. Stay tuned.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Ganglin's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,365
Images: 13
Here's a thread that may interest you:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ilm-37422.html

You can find a lot of glazing bead/channel on the internet but I was not able to locate any with different heights on the legs.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
x
 
XXXX , XXXX
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Sandy have a look at this gasket. It may be exactly what you are looking for.

CRL Glazing Vinyl for 1/2" Sealed Insulated Glass Units - CRL INSULATING GLASS ADAPTERS AND SUPPLIES

I got the link from Zep's thread. That is the one listed above and the thread I mentioned to you in your mian thread.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #12
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,035
Images: 9
Excellent point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Sandy have a look at this gasket. It may be exactly what you are looking for.

CRL Glazing Vinyl for 1/2" Sealed Insulated Glass Units - CRL INSULATING GLASS ADAPTERS AND SUPPLIES

I got the link from Zep's thread. That is the one listed above and the thread I mentioned to you in your mian thread.
Thanks Chris,
I did look through that but for some reason wasn't sure that was exactly what we needed. I might have wasted more time than I needed to which isn't the first time nor will it be the last time. I may have to order this stuff and see if we can make it work.

I did go all around town looking for gasket today and met a very "funny" man at a local glass shop. I guess the experience was worth the entire visit to the circus and the 45 minutes of entertainment I provided to the entire glass shop. I am sure all of the men there were laughing and thinking "What a nut case!" Glad to know I can provide such a service for such a limited audience and to think so many comedians are out of work and I got to meet this hilarious character and all of his followers today.

My first clue when I asked about the above mentioned gasket was "Waddah ya want it for?" An Airstream was my reply. "A WHAT???" An Airstream. You know a camper trailer. That stopped the entire shop in its tracks and all eyes swiveled to me. "She has a WHAT?" Picture that going through about 5 guys turning to each other and repeating the same thing.

And from there it kind of went down hill. Somehow appearing in a glass shop asking about gasket material for Airstream windows is a kin to asking for the wings off of the tooth fairy. Everyone was plenty amused and proceeded to tell me how it can't be done, why would I want to try to do it, and they had never heard of anyone rebuilding windows on a camper themselves. In fact, they said they don't even do rebuilding of camper windows because the seals just don't last. The owner said "So you just like kicking your own &ss?"

In case you might be thinking this was a small shop with new people, this is actually one of the higher end glass shops in town. This is the shop that does all of the expensive showers and windows for the places in Bismarck and Mandan that I could never afford to live in. I am guessing they have seen many things but obviously, not a crazy lady with an Airstream.

It was all in good fun though because the owner did wrestle out a reel of gasket material that "has been here since he came to the shop 28 years ago and no body has ever asked for it". I took a sample piece off and I will see it if will work tomorrow. It looks too wide but time will tell. It was in good shape and still had flexibility to it so if it fits, it might be workable. I would rather not have 28 year old material though especially because we have NO intention of having to do this project again.

Ask me if I plan to go back and get the rest of the gasket material if it does work and I would say....absolutely. I am on a mission to get camping someday!
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
x
 
XXXX , XXXX
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Sandy when I rebuilt my VV's & stack windows they had already been "worked" on so there was no gasket there anymore. I just imbeded them into Vulkem. I managed to find the right size pre-shimmed butyl tape at a local glass shop. I got lucky as it was some old stock in the back, kind of like the gasket you found.
In Zep's thread he states that the gasket was the right size and available in 100 ft rolls. The pre-shimmed tape however had to be ordered in a large quantity so I would check for that locally.
My lift up windows are different. The inner panes are easily removable. They are actually in their own seperate frames and are screwed to the outer frames.
I was able to find NOS wing windows on E-pay, so I haven't yet tried to rebuild mine. I just replaced them with the NOS ones. It took me a while to find both of them, which I had to buy from seperate sources. The first one I got I actually had to buy a pair of roadside windows to get the one. Sorry I already sold the second one.
The curbside wing window I found off the forums classifieds and I think the seller still has some left.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,035
Images: 9
More info is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Sandy when I rebuilt my VV's & stack windows they had already been "worked" on so there was no gasket there anymore. I just imbeded them into Vulkem. I managed to find the right size pre-shimmed butyl tape at a local glass shop. I got lucky as it was some old stock in the back, kind of like the gasket you found.
In Zep's thread he states that the gasket was the right size and available in 100 ft rolls. The pre-shimmed tape however had to be ordered in a large quantity so I would check for that locally.
My lift up windows are different. The inner panes are easily removable. They are actually in their own seperate frames and are screwed to the outer frames.
I was able to find NOS wing windows on E-pay, so I haven't yet tried to rebuild mine. I just replaced them with the NOS ones. It took me a while to find both of them, which I had to buy from seperate sources. The first one I got I actually had to buy a pair of roadside windows to get the one. Sorry I already sold the second one.
The curbside wing window I found off the forums classifieds and I think the seller still has some left.
We may well end up ordering from this site if we can't figure out a local fix. I am not sure how much more entertainment I can provide to local vendors though .

I might end up getting some stuff off Ebay but I would much prefer spending my dollars locally if at all possible. Unfortunately, there aren't many things in the local area that work for Airstreams so we are trying to stay local but seem to be ordering most of our supplies online. At least we are doing our part to keep the economy going.

Aren't you on a plane already?
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
x
 
XXXX , XXXX
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Not on a plane yet. Cat sitting at mom's house till Sunday when I fly south. Car won't be ready till Tues. Darn I have to spend an extra day in Florida. LOL I'm going to do a drop in on Darkspeed and see his extra large A/S. He lives only 25 miles from the car and is on the route back north.
P.S. I sent you a PM w/ the e-mail to the seller of the wing windows.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar
 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,560
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Separate the panes with butyl, tape the edges with metal foil tape, and float this glass sandwich in Vulkem in the channel
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #17
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,035
Images: 9
Too bad for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Not on a plane yet. Cat sitting at mom's house till Sunday when I fly south. Car won't be ready till Tues. Darn I have to spend an extra day in Florida. LOL I'm going to do a drop in on Darkspeed and see his extra large A/S. He lives only 25 miles from the car and is on the route back north.
P.S. I sent you a PM w/ the e-mail to the seller of the wing windows.
That is a good thing that you can visit Darkspeed. You are lucky to be able to see all these people from the Forums. What an education you are getting.

I envy your ability to head south this time of year. Enjoy your break from the cold and snow. Come January it might be even more sweet!
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #18
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,035
Images: 9
It sounds easy and only a Norwegian can make it difficult?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Separate the panes with butyl, tape the edges with metal foil tape, and float this glass sandwich in Vulkem in the channel
It sounds easy and perhaps I am making it more difficult than it needs to be. We hope to only do this once and make it look great when we are done. Where do you get metal foil tape? Is this the same as what you get in the 3" roll and cut it down? Can you do the same with the wing and stack windows?
Thanks for your help.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
Joebanjo's Avatar
 
1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 68
Sandy
I converted my old fogged and bubbly old double pane windows to single pane configuration using new "U" gaskets and the outer (larger) pane of glass. Airstream wants $450.00 for new single pane sashes. I rebuilt mine to NEW condition for less than $20.00 each. I also have a thread posted that shows you exactly how to do it. Mike
Joebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #20
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,035
Images: 9
Russian dolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebanjo View Post
Sandy
I converted my old fogged and bubbly old double pane windows to single pane configuration using new "U" gaskets and the outer (larger) pane of glass. Airstream wants $450.00 for new single pane sashes. I rebuilt mine to NEW condition for less than $20.00 each. I also have a thread posted that shows you exactly how to do it. Mike
Can you link the exact spot that references this fix? I was searching and kind of felt I was pulling apart one Russian doll to find another. I might be missing something here. Thanks.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AS280 - Front (driver) sliding window latch dalefox Classic Motorhomes 14 09-13-2018 09:05 PM
Super clean 1984 Airstream w/ professional window tint eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 05-01-2011 10:10 PM
Rear window leak fixed! Really? I think so. 1964 GlobeTrottin 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter 0 04-30-2011 06:42 AM
Super clean 1984 Airstream w/ professional window tint eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 04-26-2011 01:20 PM
Replace missing front window with jalousie? Cruisette Windows & Screens 6 03-31-2011 05:23 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.