Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Need materials for repairing double pane windows.

Like most others that have the 1970s double pane windows, I want to remove the mylar film that is bubbling off of the inner surface of the outer panes. I am letting access to the parts and materials I need to dictate whether I go with the single or double pane option.

I am starting with the double pane option but need some specific materials. Problem is, I am not sure where I can get some of them.

Thanks to Zep and his blog on repairing double pane windows. I found the Butyl (http://www.dkhardware.com/search/butyl). It looks like we can now order individual rolls.

Besides the small list of tools, I will also need:

Desiccant (what is this called)/dry nitrogen (where do we get this stuff)

Short, Olympic like 1/8' rivets. My 1976 window frames use an Olympic rivet that has a small head. Fastenal has some 1/8” button rivets that might work but I would rather use the Olympics.

Outside gasket material for 6 windows. (Inland/Vintage?)

Rubber gasket glue (3M-Inland/Vintage?)

U rubber/plastic channel (wrap outer edge of glass) for 6 windows that meet Zep's specs (still need a source)

Sikaflex (guessing a tube for 3 Vista Views)

In the mean time I will be working on the single pane option. Looks like I may have found a material that meets all the demands of the single pane application (vistas and stack) and will remain sealed. Will test and report on my findings.

Michael
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote