Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2011, 04:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Tifton , Georgia
Necessary thickness of Lexan?

What thickness of Lexan should I buy to replace the window pane of a 1669 or 1970 Overlander? Not sure which year this as is. What should I use to fill in between the sash and the lexan, a gasket or will putty work? I am not a fixer
SO ANY information will be a big help. I have read the post on window replace, but can't seem to find the answers I need.
G. Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
First, welcome to the Forums, I think with a little looking you can find the answer here to almost any trailer question you might have.

I would first ask why Lexan ? Yes I know the benefits, but you can get just about any size glass cut for about the same price if not cheaper and remain consistant with the rest of your windows. I recently built a roof vent cover from Lexan, and that stuff is not cheap. The Lexan that I used was 1/4in and I think the glass was about 3/16th. Just a thought.

Regardless of which way you go, you could treat them the same with regards to the installation. VTS has most of the stuff you will need. I have the HEHR Windows and used the Glazing tape and and Hallmark glazing strip and it worked well.

Window Gasket

Best of Luck...
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post
What thickness of Lexan should I buy to replace the window pane of a 1669 or 1970 Overlander? Not sure which year this as is. What should I use to fill in between the sash and the lexan, a gasket or will putty work? I am not a fixer
SO ANY information will be a big help. I have read the post on window replace, but can't seem to find the answers I need.
The glass is .118 thick

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Firstlight:
I replaced the front flat window in my AS with lexan for what has become a long-term temp fix. I would recommend the thicker variety if possible. Price goes up with thickness and size. The advantage to lexan is that you can shape it and drill it if needed. I cut mine to fit, predrilled screw holes at 3" spacing, applied a gasket at the inside of the frame, then attached the window. (my operable front window was missing the glass and hardware). Eventually, I will replace with glass but the lexan looks great and moves that item way down the "captains list".
If you have the original hardware you may be able to replace the glass. The challenge is that any stress movement or bumps are less forgiving if the install is not correct amd may break the glass.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Tifton , Georgia
Thanks everyone for taking time to post information. I haven gotten the sash off . Actually, by following the advice given on here, removal was fairly easy. Now I am off to find someone who will cut and install the lexan correctly.
G. Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote