Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #1
Lookin' to Boondock

1975 27' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Send a message via MSN to 03enduro
Making a rear window narrower?

Okay. I read a lot of threads that go off on the "why would you want to do THAT?" tangent. Please resist the temptation.

I'd like to know if anyone has narrowed a rear window on a '75. The re-configuration I would like to do to the bathroom finds me HATING both the location of, and the opening mechanism of the rear window. If I removed the operating glass and frame and narrowed it by cutting the centre and ordering a new piece of glass (or lexan) and removed the fixed frame and cut it and re welded it, patched the exterior and reinstalled... do-able?

Is there anyway to change the method of opening the windows? The pull bars on either side are not going to work for me.

Anyone try this before? I didn't find any threads.
03enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Can't say that I have seen threads about doing this specifically, but there are several threads where folks have eliminated windows altogether (like the leaky stack windows, or the breakage-prone wing windows).

So, doable--certainly. But, if you don't like the opening mechanism, maybe before you bother shrinking the existing window, have a good look around for a different window from a non-AS trailer that has more of a conventional opening mechanism (like the types where you turn a knob, and the window levers open). The biggest challenge I see with a complete window swap is that you would have to be able to fabricate some kind of interior trim piece.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
Lookin' to Boondock

1975 27' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Send a message via MSN to 03enduro
Thanks. I've reconsidered after looking at everything involved. Making a decent shower work appears to be difficult at best, but I think I'm going to try some free form fibreglass with a gel coat to get around the window area.
03enduro is offline   Reply With Quote