Old 11-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
Lower vista views

Hi all!

Iíve made the mistake of drilling out the lower windows that have snap rings. Sigh... But that is ok. Itíll give me practice bucking rivets. I have separated the double pain windows and scraped the old tint off. Question number one is, how dark of tint did you go with and would you change it one way or another? Secondly, I will be converting all windows to single pain. See pictures below for my plan and if you think it will work. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	300011
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	300012
Andy Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
No advice?
Old 12-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
You might of actually come up with something that is a first here. Never thought I would see that day come.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:01 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
Any advice on type of caulk to use? It was suggested to me to use trempro with butyl around the cut edge of the glass.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:26 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moreau View Post
Any advice on type of caulk to use? It was suggested to me to use trempro with butyl around the cut edge of the glass.
Several options there. When I rebuilt these windows I applied a 1/16th-inch layer of butyl tape against the outer side of the glass; then applied about 3/8th-inch of butyl tape between the glass and the inner plexiglass pane; and and then reattached the aluminum spring clip ring. Then, from the outside, I cleaned up any butyl that had worked up, and ran a bead of black Sikaflex at the glass/frame junction. This was done with precise masking using blue 3M painter's tape and it looks just like the outer edge of a black window gasket.
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpeck View Post
Several options there. When I rebuilt these windows I applied a 1/16th-inch layer of butyl tape against the outer side of the glass; then applied about 3/8th-inch of butyl tape between the glass and the inner plexiglass pane; and and then reattached the aluminum spring clip ring. Then, from the outside, I cleaned up any butyl that had worked up, and ran a bead of black Sikaflex at the glass/frame junction. This was done with precise masking using blue 3M painter's tape and it looks just like the outer edge of a black window gasket.

How long do you let the outer glass to frame butyl set up before cleaning up? And if you donít mind, at what temp? Iím in Florida and know nothing about the workability of butyl.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moreau View Post
How long do you let the outer glass to frame butyl set up before cleaning up? And if you donít mind, at what temp? Iím in Florida and know nothing about the workability of butyl.
Sorry for the tardy response. I lost my internet and TV on the 4th. Seems a neighbor down the block was welding in his garage and, well, torched that and the utility pole which held Google fiber Comcast, and Century Link fiber. Back in business now.

I don't think you have to wait at all. Butyl, by its nature, never seems to dry or change consistency. I don't think you have to wait at all before you clean it up. I used mineral spirits, but I think I also tried Kerosene in a few spots. That worked too. I did have to pull one of my windows apart after using butyl, and that was a mess, but doable, and, again, the butyl did not seem to have hardened or dried at all. Temperature never seems to have made a difference, either. I did my butyl work in summer and fall. So a temperature range of 50 degrees to 100 degrees.

I also purchased a couple of tubes of butyl for use in a caulking gun. I used that sparingly, in a few places, but it came in handy in that form, too.

I hope this answers your question.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Late response so sorry but I just rebuilt my snap ring Stack windows. I used 1/16" Polyshim II butyl gasket between the outer glass and the cleaned exterior frame. I used 3/16' Polyshim II between the outer glass and inner Acrylic then wrapped the unit with foil tape to keep it all together and as additional seal. I also added some silica desiccant pellets between the glass to capture any residual moisture. I used little 3/8" tall rubber support pieces similar to what the factory used under the glass/Acrylic unit which helps keep the whole thing centered in the opening (can't sag down either). I also added 3/8 rubber pieces to the side of frame so when I stabbed it into place it was centered right away as the outer Polyshim II butyl stuck to glass.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:31 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Well done!
Old 05-30-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
I just finished one of the windows. Worked out quite well. Off to the rest.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1987 30' Airstream 300
Powassan , Ontario
Got the butyl in, the acrylic inner pane back on, but I canít figure out how to get the snap ring back on. Any advice?
traceyduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:03 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
One of mine was difficult, but I got it in. Used tiny clamps at the corners to pull it all into the frame. That worked but took some doing.