Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
Louvered Window Rehab 64 Overlander

Here is another issue I inherited. The bottom louvered window was broken out and replace with Plexiglass and this mysterious brown caulk. Does anyone know what type of caulking material this is and how to remove it? There are a lot of issues surrounding this project, has anyone done this before? What are the exact dimensions of the glass in this frame, where do you obtain the little round "pads" that sit under the glass and appear to be connected to the metal frame somehow, there was a black lining material on the sides of the frame, is this a wind resistant gasket of some sort and where do you get it, it appears to be contained in a metal channel and slides into place on both sids of the frame. How exactly do you remove and reinstall the individual glass pieces? There is alot of corrision at the bottom of the window frame how aggressive can you be at removing it? There appears to be a plastic weather strip along the bottom edge of the frame (pictured) where do you obtain this? There also appears to be additional gasketing at the bottom window to protect it from the window frame. I currently have the opening taped up with 6 mil poly again but I need to move quick to seal this up, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original Louvered Window.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	83125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Another View of Original Louvered Window.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	83126  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Third View of Original Louvered Window.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	83127  
64Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I'm about to dive in rebuilding our jelousie windows too, though no plexi in ours. Window frames clean up real nice with a brass or aluminum (not steel) brush wheel on a drill, removes sealer, dirt, grime, oxidation etc. The glass slides in and is held in place by little rubber disks. Vintage trailer supply sells the material to cut the disks, then you slice them on, and wedge them in, this holds them tight, there is a little ledge in the metal brackets there that also helps support the glass, and is rounded (which you'll want to somewhat match when you get the glass cut).

retainers:

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-171.htm

lower gasket (I think, there are two styles on their site):

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-386.htm
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
Jalouise Window Replacent

Does anyone know how to remove the individual window panes on the Jalouise window. All of individual glass panes are broken on the bottom window. Does anyone know exact measurements on these. I measured 4.00" wide, 16.9375" long and .200" thick, is this correct? Is there a source for these or do you go down to the local glass shop and have them cut? I assume it needs to be tempered?
Thanks
Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I know you're in a hurry, but I could go and measure mine (it will be next week though, as my trailer is a bit of a distance from home). Tempered only comes in 1/8" thick.. (around here at least). I think I went conventional when I bought mine to get the thinner glass (I did go tempered with the front window however).

The panes just lift up and out the window towards the outside of the trailer.
I bought mine from the local glass shop. 4" wide sounds right... but I can't remember the width.. I think mine was 16 7/8" long.. but again, I'd have to measure to make sure. You might just get a couple of panes cut and see how they work out too.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Cut a plywood template and bring it to your glass shop. Ask for 3/16" tempered glass and have all edges pencil polished. All gaskets are from vintage trailer supply.
Your clean-up will be the hardest part of this job.
Good luck.
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
Jalouise Window replacement

Thank you very much for the offer to measure your window. I was able to remove the glass and take it to the local glass shop. They measured 3/16" thick, 3 15/16" inches wide and 16 15/16" inches in length. I ordered tempered glass with pencil polishing on the sides. Thanks to everyone for their input it was a big help. The glass should be in next week and I'll try and install it them. Should look a lot better than plexiglass and caulk. I'm going to try and remove the rest of the caulk and remove the corrison from the window frame/sill. I'll post a picture when done.