Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2004, 08:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Leaky Rear Egress Window on '57 FC

My twinkie has a recurring leak in the rear emergency egress window that I cannot seem to fix. When I bought the unit this rear window was literally coated with silicone. I finally got this all removed, replaced the gaskets and vulkummed all the seams. It still leaks from the top of the inside window frame and drips into the coach onto the nightstand and bed because of the angle and slant of the rear of this unit. I didn't remove the drip cap above the window since I am a newbie and hesitant about removing the original rivets. Would this be the likely culprit? If so, how do I remove the rivets and replace/seal the drip cap? Any help is appreciated.
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:17 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Gravity

Could be anywhere above the window line in the rear of the unit.

Water can find its way to exits that are not even close to the breach.

It may be the drip edge your are looking at and yes it may be the rivets.
But it could also be something on the roof and the water is just draining down the rear of the coach through the ceiling cavity.

Clear as mud?

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
leaks

I also had/have some leaks. To help narrow down where they're from I used the blue painters tape (comes off easy -no residue) and placed it around the top of my windows and down the sides of some to see if they still leaked. Some of them did not so I knew it was the window and what area that I needed to focus on. Also, vents etc should be checked and caulked. Good luck

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Window Leaks

Thanks for the insight on the window leak. I have had good luck with re-doing all windows except for this one. I have sealed all seams/vents/etc. Will definitely try the blue tape trick -- we're due for a rain day after tomorrow so it will be a good test time. I'll let ya know how it fairs. Thanks again.
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote