Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Englewood , Colorado
Installing Glass in '68 type 3 hinge

I am replacing the rear bathroom glass in a 68' type 3 - 2 part hinge. I have the glass and the hinge is in two halves. I need to know whether a "tape" or some sort of silicone is used to sandwich the 2 pieces together. If someone has a graphic for this hinge it would also be appreciated.
AudioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Glass installation

AudioMike, Butyl tape available at most glass shops. They may sell by the foot or by the roll so be prepared. The tape wraps over the top edge of the glass and then clamp is screwed back to the hinge to hold the glass in tight. Andy R. from InlandRV recommends doublefaced reinforced tape between the glass and tape. Once clamped back together you can trim any excess tape or butyl tape at a angle from the hinge edge outside of the window and even with the clamp edge inside the trailer. Hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Englewood , Colorado
Thanks Ed,

Is there a preference for either Butyl or doubled sided tape? Not sure if there is an advantage one over the other.
AudioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
When I did the corning kitchen window on my 68 I went to the local glass shop and they gave me enough double stick window tape to do the job, they had enough remnants laying around from other jobs, they just gave it to me. It was a thick, spongy tape, and sticky as all get out. Once it was down it was down for good.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Glass tape vs butyl tape

Mike, Stephanie is right too! The butyl tape from the glass shop is all I used and I had to replace all my glass. PO had all plexiglas (no original corning glass at all was left) except the non-opening glass on the window to the right of the entry door. The tape I got has a peel off backing on one side the other side was protected by the roll. The double sided reinforced tape was recommended to help hold the butyl tape in by Andy as an extra precaution against the glass falling out of the hinge/clamp assembly. I have had no trouble with this but I have read about others who stated that glass/butyl tape tended to slide out of the clamp/hinge. My tape from the glass shop was very sticky as Stephanie says. It holds very well in the clamp/hnge. Show the shop your clamp and tell them how the glass mounts between it and the hinge plate. They will be able to set you up with the best tape to hold the glass in. You may get lucky like Stephanie did and find them able to just give you enough to do the job. I wasn't that lucky but then I had a lot of glass to install. Hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioMike View Post
I am replacing the rear bathroom glass in a 68' type 3 - 2 part hinge. I have the glass and the hinge is in two halves. I need to know whether a "tape" or some sort of silicone is used to sandwich the 2 pieces together. If someone has a graphic for this hinge it would also be appreciated.
Mike,

There are graphics on the website for Vintage Trailer Supply. Give that a try....if that doesn't work, you can take a look at mine if that will help you out.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I just replaced all the curved windows in my 68 Trade Wind. I used double sided foam tape from Home Depot. Butyl will work, but I felt like the tape would hold a little better. Either way should be fine.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote