Old 05-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
How do i get stack window sash apart

Hello,

I just picked up a replacement stack window to go in my 1977 sovereign to replace the poor quality replacement that was put in by the previous owner after the window was broken. I want to disassemble and tint the glass and clean the frame before installing new and proper gaskets. the replacement is a double pane that was converted poorly to a single pane with the help of a full tube of silicone. so after getting the silicone removed enough to separate the sash i noticed was appears to be small rivets that come in from the top and bottom near the seam of the sash parts (1 on each side of the seam on both top and bottow) and go into a bar in the channel. my first thought is to just drill them out but i want make sure that is the proper thing to do. is that the correct thing to do?

Thanks in advance

crazycuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The correct thing to do is replace the assembly, as they are not intended to be disassembled.

Some people have had success taking them apart, though getting a new gasket is problematic.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Do a search under "Windows and Doors" in the technical sections, and search Vista View. I did a complete write up on the disassembly and assembly of the Vist views. Stack window are the same, just not curved. There are many posts about this, and a fellow that went by Zeppelenium did several posts as well.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
Plenty of Gasket combinations

Check out www.vintagetrailergaskets.com and look at the library they have available. You can search for the year range, and window type and gives you directions on how the install their gaskets. You may not have to remove the window frame to replace the gaskets if you haven't done so already. There are a few YouTube videos where they have drilled out the rivets, cleaned the sash, and reassembled with tinted glass and new gaskets from the above mentioned website.
Dspchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
If your stack has the flat aluminum “snap ring” retainer you can easily rebuild them without removing the whole frame from the trailer.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
https://www.airforums.com/photos/sho...37&c=newimages

hopefully this picture sheds some light on what i am dealing with. my stack window sashes all appear to be non snap ring ones. i took out the window and sash that the one i bought will replace and this sash and both are assembled in the same way (single vs the double pane). i was able to get one of the pins out and they appear to be a 1/4-1/2 screw. the thread angle is very quick. how are you supposed to get these out when the head is just a buttonhead
Old 05-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Grind the head and thread end off flush with a cutoff wheel then just have to drill it out of the flange.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
so i contacted Robert at vintage trailer gaskets and he explained how to get these apart. he said do not drill them out because if you drill through and dont stop the drill quick enough and tap the glass it will likely shatter. the direction i was given was to take a hacksaw blade and cut it right along the seem until the alignment bars in the channel are cut through and then he said there will be a gap (width of the hacksaw blade which is small) when reassembling that can be filled in with some CLR silicone aluminum sealant in silver to match the sash

hope this helps someone else in the future. when i get the gaskets this week i will post up pictures of the reassembled stack window
Old 05-25-2020, 10:38 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
cotati , California
I just started on my vista view windows today. They are similar to the stack windows, but i think there are many different configurations. I had the two pain. One glass one plexi. After many different attempts at getting the frames apart I just used the hacksaw. While i was cutting I lifted up on one side of the frame, so when it made it through I could tell before the saw hit the glass. I also have one snap ring version that came apart no problem. I'm thinking most of the windows are 3/16" thick and the plexi is 1/8.

p.s. my Airstream is a 72'

Hope this helps
Shane
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200525_172852.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	499.3 KB
ID:	368713   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200525_181113.jpg
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	368714  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200525_182023.jpg
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	368715  
Indy_Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Air View Post
I just started on my vista view windows today. They are similar to the stack windows, but i think there are many different configurations. I had the two pain. One glass one plexi. After many different attempts at getting the frames apart I just used the hacksaw. While i was cutting I lifted up on one side of the frame, so when it made it through I could tell before the saw hit the glass. I also have one snap ring version that came apart no problem. I'm thinking most of the windows are 3/16" thick and the plexi is 1/8.

p.s. my Airstream is a 72'

Hope this helps
Shane

Shane, yours has roll pins and i have seen that in several videos and posts online. mine ended up having steel bars in place of the pins and then a rivet looking piece coming in from top and bottom (parallel to the wall skins and into the bar on both sides of the seam. those pins going into the bar keep the two halves of the sash from separating.