Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
help on front side windows

I've got multiple leaks here, so I want to start on the Overlander (this is going to be part of the "removing interior skin-Ovelander" project, but I thought I'd separate this window problem as being a specific issue that others have faced).

These windows obviousy leaked, so I applied Vulkem to top and sides of outside seams of the window frames. It may have helped some, but the problem persists. Maybe now I'm suffering from condensation and not leaks, but when I get the fieberglass shrouds off, I'll be able to tell.

My problem is, LowellN suggested that these windows are not repairable, eg, you can't get at or remove the inside glass. True? I was hoping they would come apart like the Vista Views. Any hints would be greatly apreciated.

BTW, if anyone needs any part of a vista view, I'm removing mine, so the inner shroud (see photo), outer aluminum frame and outer glass will be available in 4-5 weeks, maybe sooner. I've got to check and see if the inner glazing is glass or plastic, but whatever it is, it will also be available (2 total units).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4853 front street side-S.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	19557   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4854 front curb side-S.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	19558  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4857 vista view door cavity-s.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	19559  
Old 03-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
You are saying that the one front window had water in it to that level? If so, I'd say that was more than a leak. I would think if there's that much water, its coming in on top somewhere and ending up in the window frame. Best of luck to you.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to break the inner pane and reseal the outer. I did this with 2 of my vista view windows and it worked well. I used backer rod to help hold the pane in place once I cleaned the old sealant and applied new, worked well. Speaking of your old vista view windows, what dimensions are they? I could use 2.
As for leaks from above, check your running lights and ceiling fans, my running lights had to get resealed and if you have the vent with solar dome, that material seems to get brital and crack.
Holzarbeiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I am convinced the the failure of the seal itself leads to the water in the windows, you can drill small relief holes in the outside of the frame at the very bottom, you have to drill in at an angle, very carefully to not hit the glass. I am not convinced that breaking the inner pane is the way to go...the window itself might be part of the structure? As far as sealing them, I took a razor knife and cut the gray plastic seal as far back as I could, then put a heavy bead of vulkem between the glass and the frame, kind of a pseudo seal, and the leaks went away. I used painters masking tape to help contain the bead to a workable level. You can buy replacement wing windows, however, they are pricey, single pane and only come in dark tint...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I am beginning to feel compeled to get the shroud off so I can see what the frame looks like on the inside. Hard for me to believe you can't get this double pane window apart without having to break the inner pane.

I feel an education coming on.... I'm the guy on the left, my AS is the guy on the right!
Old 03-19-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Roger,
I have been there and the windows don't come apart...as far as vista views, you have the old style with the plexi interior panels, the newer ones are dual pane and they are fixed. The only 2 solutions are to break the inner pane out as refered to by Holzarbeiter or replace them with a new unit (57 Olympic rivets BTW ) I have done both and can't reccomend one method over the other...they both are a pain.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Roger,
The only 2 solutions are to break the inner pane out as refered to by Holzarbeiter or replace them with a new unit (57 Olympic rivets BTW ) I have done both and can't reccomend one method over the other...they both are a pain.
Aaron
Speaking of Olympic Rivets, doesn't anyone drive solid rivets any more? If I've got the inside skin off, that seems like a doable do, to me. But it's been 30 years since I drove rivets on a homebuilt airplane, and they were smaller than what are used on AS.

This whole investigation makes me think that replacing the windows with a piece of .032 and insulation is the right answer. What was the design life span of these windows--they must have started in 69? I note that the current Safari doesn't have them. I know I saw a modern Bambi in NC a few months ago that also didn't have them. Has anyone done this; are there photos?

I don't find them particularly useful--blinds are usually down when in an RV park and when I'm boondocking I'm sitting outside. I do like the heft of the frames, though. Maybe installing sheet metal inside the frame in place of the outside glass wouldn't look too "off." No decision, yet.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Roger,
I still do bucked rivets...when I have too. In the case of my Vista View I accidently broke the outer pane... so replacement was my only option. The interior panels are still in place so bucked rivets were not an option. There have been several people on this forum that have replaced exterior panels and have gone the bucked rivet route. They went to the framed style windows in 1969, but there were some minor changes in the following year(s) mainly with the wing windows frame shape and whether they were double pane or not (all of the windows). I went and took another look at mine. They MAY come apart if you drill out the rivets in the corners, but they you still have the challenge of removing the glass and reinstalling the whole mess. I have my damaged vista view and one of these days when I don't have any thing better to do (like work on my airstream ) I might try to take it apart for knowledge's sake . IIRC the frames are a single extrusion and the window is assembled with a two part aluminum frame section with a steel or soft iron connector/splice plate that is riveted to the two pieces. To me one of the best features of the Airstream is the number of windows, even with the curtains drawn they still let in a subdued light, I usually camp in secluded areas so the more windows the merrier

You mentioned the lack of wing windows on the newer Airstreams, they are standard on the Classics and available on at least some of the Safari Line as an option. I saw a 25' Safari with a rear side entry and wing windows front and rear, really neat looking trailer.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 05-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Ever make any progress on this front?

my "wings" are in a similar state...perpetually fogged, same oozing gasket as is visible in your pics. Its been buggin' me that the only methods to resolve this are coupled with a high risk of complete destruction.

I found this in my service manual, which seems to say that it can be done...however, it doesn't make alot of sense to me. My windows don't look quite like the diagram. there is no structure upon which one could pry with a screwdriver. the outer frame is a solid piece, from the glass to the splicer bar. Its possible that my windows are not "original". the units were out of the trailer at one point, as I can see that they were re-installed with olympic rivets. maybe the were replaced with models from a different year?

anyway...check this out...see if you can make heads or tails of it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wing1.pdf (29.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: pdf wing2.pdf (55.8 KB, 72 views)
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote