Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Hehr Hallmark 12 window clips needed

Hello all, I have been refurbishing the windows on my 1961 Overlander. Things have been going very well and I am pleased with the results so far. I have removed and cleaned all of the frames and installed new glass with butyl tape and bulb seals from Vintage Trailer Supply. The rear window however was missing when I bought the trailer a few months ago. I ordered a new re-manufactured replacement from Silver Trailer Supply. The replacement is a perfect fit and is very well made, it seems to be an exact copy of the original...However it is missing the metal clips that are pressed into the window. These two clips are what the window latches hook into. I have uploaded a picture of one of the clips as is appears on another window.

The guy that sold me the window says he does not currently have access the clips. Basically I am thinking of fabricating a replacement if I cannot salvage some clips somewhere. Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to how I could fabricate such parts? Or does anyone perhaps have the parts I could salvage? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-17 12.16.45.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	214616  
rockhoundj45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
If you hear, please let me know. I was brought down the same path by the vendor. If you also notice, you do not have the machined slots for the window lifters. I am not happy with the vendor.
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Rowley , Massachusetts
I have a Hehr Hallmark 12 front window frame on my 63 Bambi that is in rough shape. I contacted Vintage Trailer Supply about the price of a new frame, and they quoted me $275 for frame alone. Zow! I think I am going to first take a stab at fixing my original frame with some Gflex Epoxy and Fiberglass fabric. If it doesn't come out good, I will pony up for the replacement frame.
Trestrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Walnut Creek , California
I've got one missing as well. If you find a source, please keep the thread in the loop. If you make them, then please post some photos!

"The reward for work well done is the opportunity to do more." Jonas Salk
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
I've got one missing as well. If you find a source, please keep the thread in the loop. If you make them, then please post some photos!
I think what you need was called a "nylon friction pad".

The window lifting arm attached to it.

It was installed within the window frame and slid up and down.

Is this is what you need ?

The last time we were able to get them was about 5 years ago.

We have a couple of those pads, but they are not for sale.

Someone we know, is trying to create a mold for them.

So far, no luck, but still trying.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kimberley , ON
Hehr window clips

Actually, the part pictured in the photo is not associated with the lifting arm.

It is the clip that catches the locking latch - 2 per window, one on each side.
jrmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Newton , New Jersey
I'm trying to restore a Hehr Hallmark window on a '63 Globtrotter 19'. There is zero existing hardware meaning there's a pane of glass cemented into the fixed frame. I don't want to "frame" myself into a corner by heading down the road and getting stuck without being able to find all the necessary parts. It seems I'd need the following: Sash, 2x Hehr cranks/arms, 2x Hehr lock levers, window glazing tape, window glazing weather strip, Hehr Window bulb seal, 2x nylon friction pads, seals for bases of cranks and locks, and finally, the missing clips that y'all are speaking of. I don't want to buy the wrong stuff ("no machined slot for window lifters"??). The sashes are 18-1/4" x 28-3/4". Any help/guidance would be appreciated.
rfandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Newton , New Jersey
Window Clips

How are they attached to frame? Hard to tell by picture. Are they "welded" into it? If you get an aftermarket frame without clips or opener sliders, how would you attached either item??

Does anyone have an original drawing of clip that could be used to machine one?? Thanks!!

Andy
Old 07-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
Does a bit of everything

1963 30' Sovereign
Bradford , Vermont
Here ya go, guys - dimensioned drawing (I'm in exactly the same position as of this afternoon, you see). The originals appear to be made either of zinc (in which case they're slid into the extrusion and crimped into place before the extrusion is "welded" at the miters) or of plastic (delrin or nylon, in which case they may have been snapped into the extrusion before crimping). I'm counting on making my first set from crosslinked polyethylene for UV resistance, wear resistance, and the ability to snap them into place without breaking the frame welds. They may be a bit of a PITA to keep in the correct place unless we can come up with a good way to crimp them in (my bottom extrusion is new, so it has no crimps).

The drawing:
Old 07-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
Does a bit of everything

1963 30' Sovereign
Bradford , Vermont
You can make your own sash from raw extrusions from Vintage Trailer Supply - doing that is a ton cheaper than buying a sash, but requires some tooling and a lot of attention. You'd need three 47" sticks of extrusion - one specific to the top, one "bottom/sides" for the bottom, and one cut about in half for the two sides. You'll need some aluminum "welding" sticks (the ones from Harbor Freight are as good as any) and a propane (NOT MAPP!) torch, as well as a narrow wire wheel for your favorite drill. Do the "welding" within a few minutes of scuffing with the wire wheel or the aluminum will form an oxide coating ahead of you and wreck the "weld" (it's technically a form of high-temperature soldering). Be well prepared, rehearse everything, then work fast. You'll also need some means of cutting the miters accurately (a woodworking miter saw with a fine-tooth blade does a fine job after it's set to an accurate 45 degrees and the workpiece is clamped in place so it doesn't wander while you cut).

Vintage Trailer Supply can sell you 100% of everything you need for that window.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #11
Does a bit of everything

1963 30' Sovereign
Bradford , Vermont
Come to think of it... you could carefully fold these things from thin annealed spring steel or oil-hardening steel, then reharden & temper them to spring temper. That way, they'd spring open on insertion & lock themselves into place.

EDIT: That would look just about like this (assuming 0.012" spring steel):
Old 08-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Walnut Creek , California
Finally...someone who understands the situation! If you crank out a couple of these TDHofstetter; I'd be interested in buying one from you. It'd be nice to get rid of my side window leak.

"The reward for work well done is the opportunity to do more." Jonas Salk
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Newton , New Jersey
Tim, have you actually created and tested a clip from your drawing of the machined clip?? I'm thinking of sending it to a shop for a quote. Thanks!!
Old 02-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Brownfield , Maine
Has anyone made any headway on these? I have to make 3 window frames so i need to come up with at least 6 clips.
Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #15

1970 31' Sovereign
dallas , Texas
maybe a 3d printer could print one. I think I am going to need at least 4 of these
bswallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:57 AM   #16
Michael

1961 24' Tradewind
Kortenhoef , Noord Holland
Hi there had anyone making progress on the window clips , we made a new window but missing the clips also? Hope you can help me out
Michael Meer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #17
Overdog64

1964 26' Overlander
Collingwood , Ontario
are you still looking for the window clips?
Deanmaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #18
Overdog64

1964 26' Overlander
Collingwood , Ontario
are you still looking for the clips?
Deanmaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Colchester , Connecticut
Would love to find those clips. [emoji6]
Tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:35 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Brownfield , Maine
I had a local guy who does custom small cnc work make these up. This is his ad not mine. They will need a little hand fitting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Window-Clips-For-Hehr-Windows-CNC-Aluminum-NEW-Manufacture-10-Pieces-/283271866562?nav=SEARCH
Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote