Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2003, 12:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Glass windows; insulation

On my new '57 Bubble, the window glass is single pane and not even tempered according to a windshield guy. Are there any double pane or at least tempered glass options I can look at? I'm concerned about camping in cold, cold weather - I would think the heat leakage from those old windows would be terrible.
Along the same line, I have no hankering to remove the interior skin but what sort of condition do you suppose the insulation is in? I did remove the floor furnace and the insulation I could see was yellow in color but dirty because of its location. I'm concerned about the insulation in the sides and roof.
I am considering patching the current plywood floor and then putting in strips to raise it enough for thin foam insulation and then putting in a "top floor" of plywood and then Pergo - too much weight?? Other problems with two floors?
I'm just full of questions today.
Jo Ann
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 12:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
check out the pergo discussion now over in the interior restoration forum, they talk about the weight issue.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If the belly pan looks intact the insulation is more than likely all there in the floor. The trailers are as well insulated as they could make them, there is fiberglass insulation between the inner and outer skins. The main region of heat loss is transmission thru the ribs. We kept our 74 heated for a month in Wisconsin and you could see the rib outline in the snow that had fallen on the roof and curve to the sides.

Door gaskets, window gaskets, and insulating the roof vent openings will offer the most improvement in an older unit. Changing out the glass would be expensive and if a window frame were to be broken where do you get one or how many $$ does it cost.

One option is to have a professional security film company come and do the windows. This will protect them from shattering because the film will hold them together and may even cut down on heat loss. I am sure that with a bit of tint it will make it cooler in the summer.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 04:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

glass windows

Thanks Brett: I am familiar with the 3M film product you mentioned but I hadn't thought about it's possible insulating qualities. I'll follow that up. Do you think the old insulation (the yellow stuff) is fiberglass?
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 05:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Here's another thought:

Blinds, shades and/or draperies are also good insulators at the windows...as long as they are kept closed.

And yes, the "yellow stuff" is fiberglass insulation.

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 05:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Smile Good point

Shari's point of keeping the drapes closed to help keep out the cold, is a valid one.

It was 32 dergees a couple of nights ago and in the morning I fter opening the drapes, I could feel the cold radiating from the windows.

I reclosed the drapes and the temp didn't drop as fast .

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote