Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Petawawa , Ontario
Front wrap windows

Iím looking for some advice in finding or understanding some small water leaks in my front wrap windows.
I have a 2004 Classic that I purchased last summer, I had noticed water leaks around these windows while out camping. I scraped off all of the old caulking on the outside and resealed with Sikaflex. I did not have a chance to use the trailer after that and it was stored in a shelter for the winter.
A few weeks ago during a down pour I noticed some water seeping in what appeared to be between the glass and acrylic sealant that holds it to the aluminum frame. I picked up some automotive acrylic and sealed between the glass and frame outside.
Although this leak is getting less and less I still have what appears to be water seeping between the glass and acrylic. Am I missing something?
Jollytinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Front clearance lights can be a source of leaks that may appear around the curved windows. It's worth checking and resealing these lights. I'd plan on doing all of them given the age of your trailer.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Petawawa , Ontario
Fortunately my trailer doesn’t have upper clearance lights.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Are you saying your 31' Classic doesn't have a running light on each front corner of the trailer. Most did and the lights can sometimes be a source of leaks.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
Could the water be from high humidity inside of your Classic? We've seen moisture on the inside of our windows in our Globetrotter.
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Petawawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
Are you saying your 31' Classic doesn't have a running light on each front corner of the trailer. Most did and the lights can sometimes be a source of leaks.
I do, but those lights are lower than the windows, so that canít be the leak source.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:16 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Petawawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWhite View Post
Could the water be from high humidity inside of your Classic? We've seen moisture on the inside of our windows in our Globetrotter.
No it only happens when it rains.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #8
Tom R

2015 22' FB Sport
Fort Worth , Texas
Leaking Windows

We just took a long trip and also had water coming in around the windows. It was mainly only in a driving rainstorm and the leaking was not a lot. It did get the mattress a little wet on the edges. No water on the bed board or below. We were able to control it on the road with some aluminum and Gorilla tape and a barrier made from a painting dropcloth. I was wondering if anyone has had the Airstream dealer remove, reseal, and re-install their windows? This seems like a lot of work but thought I would ask maybe we can just re-caulk them? Open for any ideas and advice.

Tom Reid
tomreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
Our TV antenna rubber gasket was lifted off the roof where the antenna cable enters the roof and I think that was a source of a leak earlier this year. I filled the hole with extra sealant and reapplied the gasket. Next rain I donít notice a leak.
I am assuming you have an antenna like that so it itís just a guess.

Steve
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:36 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Petawawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomreid View Post
We just took a long trip and also had water coming in around the windows. It was mainly only in a driving rainstorm and the leaking was not a lot. It did get the mattress a little wet on the edges. No water on the bed board or below. We were able to control it on the road with some aluminum and Gorilla tape and a barrier made from a painting dropcloth. I was wondering if anyone has had the Airstream dealer remove, reseal, and re-install their windows? This seems like a lot of work but thought I would ask maybe we can just re-caulk them? Open for any ideas and advice.

Tom Reid
I had thought the same as any automotive glass place could easily remove the glass and reinstall it with fresh acrylic.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:38 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Petawawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilanisteve View Post
Our TV antenna rubber gasket was lifted off the roof where the antenna cable enters the roof and I think that was a source of a leak earlier this year. I filled the hole with extra sealant and reapplied the gasket. Next rain I donít notice a leak.
I am assuming you have an antenna like that so it itís just a guess.

Steve
I do Steve, and I will check that however Iím convinced the issue is close to the window area.